Levemir and bomb

DiabetesForo's profile photo   03/02/2012 6:28 p.m.

Good night,

Regarding use a basal insulin with pen and the bomb I have found a reference in the book by Ragnar Hanas that you recommend in some threads.On page 238 of the second edition.It deals with the use of the pump during the night and daytime disconnection.

We have many problems in the pump disconnections: shower and basketball, there is no way to control glycemia and its lack of control is extended during the night, luck that we have the sensor and with it we are deciding the hair controls and the correction bowls,But out more than a problem of ketones we would have had at dawn.That is why I am suffering the summer before I arrive, with the pool, the beach ... and the idea of ​​putting a basal insulin and the bomb does not seem crazy.

Martina's profile photo
Martina
03/07/2012 3:26 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Martina, a good link to the book of R, Hanas.

What it raises is the use of NPH (with maximum duration of 5-6 hours).
With Levemir or with Lantus I do not see it clear because its duration I think it is too long and then overlap it with the basal bomb at night.

It also says that it is perfectly possible to use the pump only at night ... provided that during the day NPH or intermediate action insulin is used.

In the case you raise the summer, it is useful to consider a NPH in the morning and connect the pump from the food, for example.
But going beyond 8-10 hours seems a bit difficult to adjust the posterior basal with the pump.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
03/07/2012 3:59 p.m.

How interesting all your contributions.You are great: d

mornita's profile photo
mornita
03/07/2012 5:39 p.m.

hello.

To me that you propose to use a basal insulin on the one hand and the pump on the other seems to me an important contradiction ... or you are with multiple injections or you are insulin pump.
The pump perfectly does the two basal and bowling functions (food and correctors) "only" must be programmed.

Even with your approach to use basal insulin (in addition to insulin pump) the pump you have to program it equally for a "basal only with the dose increase for the period of the ALBA effect ...", if theYou have to program it yes or do program it correctly, define all the basal sections you need correctly.
If you have a dawn or very marked ALBA phenomenon you will have to divide the night into several sections (minimum 2 sections) and the section of when the dawn will approach you will need more insulin.

Having ketone bodies is not because of insulin pump treatment cannot with them and a basal insulin is needed in addition to the pump, no, if they have ketone bodies, there is an insulin deficit.

You have been with the bomb for a short time, you may not have the basal still well scheduled, ask for an appointment with the educator and put on the subject.

There is no need to complicate things more than the account and I personally believe that what you propose is to complicate things .

According to what TNT says, now in March I go for 7 months with the bomb, since then I write everything that as and ... also the bowling, so I have been able to stabilize myself and familiarize myself more with the bomb.I already said it for another thread last month of Hemo, and ... super happy with my bomb.It is not easy to have the basal ones well scheduled, it costs a job, but it is achieved.

Greetings to everyone.

Nana's profile photo
Nana
03/08/2012 11:29 a.m.

Desde los 8 años con mi amiga Diabetes, llevamos de amistad 55 años...pa'lante siempre.

Hemo 5.9 enero 2014 Bombera 3 años.

Si algún día te sientes pequeño, inútil ultrajado y deprimido, recuerda que un día fuiste el espermatozoide mas rápido y victorioso de tu grupo.

Hello everyone, I personally do not advise this insulin cocktail, when the pump gives us the opportunity to use the calculations we want, if they give you climb at 8 h, you go up 0.1 or 0.2, and you see the result, II understand that I teda scare orror to hyperglycemia but I advise you to consult with your endo.
Health: d.

DiabetesForo
03/15/2012 2:54 p.m.

It seems to me that what Agua wants to propose102 is that by cattle failures or by carrying badly inserted the needle has suffered those episodes of ketosis.Two also happened to me when I started with the bomb and I understand your fear perfectly.The second I thought it gave me something ... It was one of the worst moments with diabetes (but the worst)
Always change the catheter for the day and do not forget the analysis at two hours see if everything is going well. What bomb you wear?I started with the ACCU-Chek without the device to put the needles and quite failed.
Before mixing and bomb ask the endocrine :)

What this girl does not seem so far -fetched.The bomb does not normally fail but if it fails and happens at night in two hours you are fatal, 4 acetone crossings and it seems that you are going to die, it has happened to me at night in the catheter and glycemia of 500 mg dl.Normally you wake up.The slow pen gives you the peace of mind of which you always have reservations and at most you put 350 mg and without acetone.
I would never take the pump without a sensor if you fail at night you do not find out and 2 hours without insulin is a safe acetone.
An option is to give you the bowling with a fast pump and go with a slow punctured.Just connect for meals and make a PP glycemia to see everything is going well.
That if you think about it is not so bad although you tell an endocrine will say that you are crazy.TB you can use the pump to correct yourself.You carry it on but without connecting.
I would never carry the pump without sensor because I think we have all had accidents.I have been hooked on my holder and I welcomed the cable I did not look at the sensor and I was 500mg 4 hours until I corrected slowly this.

yaiza's profile photo
yaiza
04/04/2012 8:53 a.m.

Well, if you are going to live with that obsession that the pump is going to fail, it is better that you take off the pump, if you are going to use the pump to put the bowling, you better take the pump.We carry a machine connected to the sophisticated and expensive body and that is why or we take out the whole game possible or if not better return to the feathers.That is my opinion, I will think that I am radical but it is what I think.I have been with a bomb for 7 years and I have never failed me, nor does it have to do it and if it happens, we have to be prepared to solve.Wearing a bomb supposes that I have to do more glucose controls, the full profile and some more.And I know that using a slow insulin for nights using bomb makes no sense.
The bomb means quality of life, being afraid is human but subtracts quality of life so if I lived in fear of the bomb I would seriously want to stop using it.

DiabetesForo
04/04/2012 11:22 a.m.

Well, if you are going to live with that obsession that the pump will fail it is better that you take off the pump, if you are going to use the pump to put the bowling bolos it is better that youYou take the pump.We carry a machine connected to the sophisticated and expensive body and that is why or we take out the whole game possible or if not better return to the feathers.That is my opinion, I will think that I am radical but it is what I think.I have been with a bomb for 7 years and I have never failed me, nor does it have to do it and if it happens, we have to be prepared to solve.Wearing a bomb supposes that I have to do more glucose controls, the full profile and some more.And I know that using a slow insulin for nights using bomb makes no sense.
The bomb means quality of life, being afraid is human but subtracts quality of life so if I lived in fear of the bomb I would seriously stop using it.

Very well in that answer.

Nana's profile photo
Nana
04/04/2012 12:37 p.m.

Desde los 8 años con mi amiga Diabetes, llevamos de amistad 55 años...pa'lante siempre.

Hemo 5.9 enero 2014 Bombera 3 años.

Si algún día te sientes pequeño, inútil ultrajado y deprimido, recuerda que un día fuiste el espermatozoide mas rápido y victorioso de tu grupo.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.