{'en': 'Inject insulin, before or after meals?', 'es': 'Inyectar insulina, ¿antes o después de las comidas?'} Image

Inject insulin, before or after meals?

fer's profile photo   06/26/2015 12:09 p.m.

Hello everyone,

I copy here a comment from @rociollinares that asks about whether insulin is better injectYou modify this pattern on occasion or not.

I sometimes inject after eating, for example when I do it away from home, or when I eat a lot of protein and fat (barbecue, etc ...), because the digestion slows me and I am afraid of a hiccup.

What do you do?
Hello, my daughter debuted last day 5. During her hospital she changed insulin guidelines and on the second day they were given after eating to make sure what she ate, but they told us that the appropriate thing was to prick herbefore meals.I have read that sometimes they click later, especially if they eat away.Can you click later if we are not sure what you are going to eat even if you do it before?It is one of the doubts that I have scored for the next visit with his pediatrician, but since we do not have it until the end of July, they can help us given their experience.Thank you very much, for all the previous opinions, they are being very helpful !!!

fer's profile photo
fer
06/26/2015 12:09 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

How old is the girl?

I usually click half of food, at least I assure me that the fat of the portions are eaten, and if it fools it is always easier to change a ration of one thing for another that further fits him, than changing3 rations.That if it goes well.
If this bass skewed after he has eaten everything, if he is tall before and eat.

For my self I can click before the food, once I have asked for what I want to eat, man if I do not ingest hydrates because I punish me after the first, but the general always before.

aranzazuleg's profile photo
aranzazuleg
06/26/2015 12:14 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

The educator told me that with meals with a lot of fat, I click just at the end, and with the rest just at the beginning.At the moment he is going well.

There was a day that I tried to click 15 min before eating, and I had a beautiful hypoglycemia of 40 one hour after eating, and that was very high.Anymore.

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
06/26/2015 1:46 p.m.

My daughter is 13 years old.Many grace for your answers, I see that we can promptly change the time of injection.So far we always do it before and it takes the levels quite well, but I get fed up with weighing and calculate rations, I suppose it is the obsession of the principle.The issue is that my daughter practices athletics and I am afraid that she will return to competitions, since many times we are forced to eat or dinner away from home by the schedules, and I do not know how to adapt it to the insulin doses if being outsideI can't control it from home.
And p
Erdonad if something incorrect in the forum ever, I am also a rookie in this.I had never participated in one and I don't know very well how it works.

RocioLlinares's profile photo
RocioLlinares
06/26/2015 2:07 p.m.

Mamá de María. 15 años. Diagnósticada 05/06/2015
Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

Don't worry about the forum, you really make it great!;)

If you have any questions, ask (create a new topic) and you will see how you have answers, all users see the published issues.

If you need it, you can also contact me by private message, it is an option of the forum shown above the right, the messages are not published, they are silo for the recipients (like a mail).

fer's profile photo
fer
06/26/2015 2:28 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Clicking before or later, depends on the time you take the food.Normally we click before if we eat everything followed, and thus coincides with the rise in glycemia with the action of insulin.
There may be a problem when you eat away from home and take time to serve the second dish and dessert.In that case it is better to divide the dose into two, and click at the beginning and when the dessert arrives, calculating hydrates.
My daughter is a diabetic since the age of five, she now has 26, and diabetes has never prevented him from doing anything that was proposed.Much encouragement!

Regina's profile photo
Regina
06/26/2015 3:15 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

I usually if I am at home or at work I put the insulin before eating unless you eat legume that is absorbed very slowly.However, nothing happens if one day you put it after eating, sometimes it is better so when you eat away from home or you are not sure if you will eat everything.

Inday's profile photo
Inday
06/26/2015 6:56 p.m.

And in the case of doing it later, for example if you eat out of home and know what you are going to eat .... What do you calculate HC or do control and manage according to the control values?The truth is that I see complicated calculating HC away from home, the same is the lack of practice ....

RocioLlinares's profile photo
RocioLlinares
06/30/2015 6:08 p.m.

Mamá de María. 15 años. Diagnósticada 05/06/2015
Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

I think that better depending on the HC, if you get control later, unless you have a continuous glucose meter, you do not know how you are going up, and you may think that better put less when you are having a strong rise, or ofBut if it has given you a rush but it is already stable, in any case, you will have to learn to calculate the HC, and also combine it with the insulin sensitivity factor, in my case, 1 insulin unit sometimes me sometimesLower 30 mg/dl and another 50 mg/dl and sometimes more, it depends on the situation, if I have done sports, etc ...

fer's profile photo
fer
06/30/2015 7:01 p.m.

sprinkle said:
and in the case of doing it later, for example if you eat out of home and know what you are going to eat .... What do you do calculate HC or do control and administer according tocontrol values?The truth is that I see complicated calculating HC out of home, the same is the lack of practice ....

Calculating the HC to the eye is complicated.We, after three years of evolution, if there is no choice we do it by eye (and we do not usually fail) but we normally continue to weigh everything, inside and out of home.

aaandres's profile photo
aaandres
06/30/2015 7:31 p.m.

Padre de Andrés, 17 años. Debut: septiembre de 2011.
Levemir (30ud. mañana y 24ud. noche) y Novorapid (en desayuno, comida, merienda y cena 40ud aprox - 24HC/día).
Medidor continuo DEXCOM G4 desde julio 2014
Hemo: 6.2 (Sept. 2013), 7.0 (Dic. 2013), 6.9 (Marzo 2014), 6,6 (Junio 2014), 6,7 (Sept. 2014), 7,0 (Dic. 2014), 7,7 (Mar 2015), 6,9 (Jul. 2015), 7,0 (Sept 2015), 7,4 (Dic 2015), 6,8 (Mar 2016), 6,6 (Julio 2016), 6,8 (Octubre2016)... 7,0 (Mar 2018)

@Rociollinares you have to make it the function of the HC that you calculate you are going to eat and what is your glycemia before you start.If not, what @Fer comments can happen.

About calculating the HC out of home, because look is an art.Sometimes it works and many others.Do not be overwhelmed, if you do not succeed and you are high then you correct a little fast and already.
Especially at the beginning that everything is so new and that eating outside can be a little anxiety is better to be conservative with the dose of fast.Then, with time, you realize that food in the restaurants has a lot of masked HC (sauces, rebozados, etc ...) and that you usually need more insulin than at home.But well, little by little, you will see that with experience.

Inday's profile photo
Inday
06/30/2015 7:43 p.m.

The calculation of units will be achieved to measure that time passes it is also preferableEat and there is no eager to do it apart, it takes effect to make effect what you ingested so that the fast insulin acts

daniel_pini31's profile photo
daniel_pini31
07/08/2021 2:53 p.m.

... It is curious, always, always, always since I started with DM 1, the insulin first, of course with an amount of glucose between 80-110, after 2 hours correct if necessary and always in values ​​of 80-160, currently they tell me that before breakfast, lunch and dinner 80 - 130 and 2 hours later if values ​​are between 80 - 180 not correct, the truth was before strictly vary now are a little more widespread, some investigations andOther essays for years, greetings.

Bit_0's profile photo
Bit_0
07/08/2021 11:59 p.m.

DM 1 desde 1983
Novorapid
Lantus
... Freesstyle libre 2 08/07/2021 18:30

In case it can help, I have done the same values ​​for many years.
If I am 150 or more, insulin before food.
If I am less than 150 I do it in the middle, and if I have hypoglycemia just before the food, I first like the dessert and in half food/dinner, it is when the quick one clicks

vanessa30's profile photo
vanessa30
07/13/2021 6:30 p.m.

Hello everyone, I am Milia, type1 lad diabetics since September 2019. Thank you very much for sharing your experience helps me a lot to understand what happens to me sometimes.

milia's profile photo
milia
08/24/2021 11:56 p.m.

Welcome to the @Milia Forum!

fer's profile photo
fer
08/25/2021 8:51 a.m.

fer said:
hello everyone,

I copy here a comment from @rociollinares that asks about whether insulin is better injectYou modify this pattern on occasion or not.

I sometimes inject after eating, for example when I do it away from home, or when I eat a lot of protein and fat (barbecue, etc ...), because the digestion slows me and I am afraid of a hiccup.

What do you do?
Hello, my daughter debuted last day 5. During her hospital she changed insulin guidelines and on the second day they were given after eating to make sure what she ate, but they told us that the appropriate thing was to prick herbefore meals.I have read that sometimes they click later, especially if they eat away.Can you click later if we are not sure what you are going to eat even if you do it before?It is one of the doubts that I have scored for the next visit with his pediatrician, but since we do not have it until the end of July, they can help us given their experience.Thank you very much, for all the previous opinions, they are being very helpful !!!
hello everyone,

What do you do?

I already had a scare of having to go for an urgency and with the insulin punctured without eating, I do it right after, I have prepared it.

LenaDingle's profile photo
LenaDingle
08/29/2021 11:34 a.m.

If I have less than 80 glucose, the endocrinologist who ate and then puts me 4 units, another medication that is doing us dust, the lie of diabetes and other chronic "diseases", normally produced by a child vaccination, butI do not want to open a theme of polemic.

sergiojunene's profile photo
sergiojunene
08/29/2021 11:42 a.m.

@Sergiojunene explicit better because diabetes 1 is immunological and I got as an adult, not a child.In my family I am the only one.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
08/29/2021 3:28 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

ruthbia said:
@Sergiojunene explicit better because diabetes 1 is immune and I got out of an adult, not as a child.In my family I am the only one.

I also have it since 2010, read the two books that will open your mind a lot and information (at least that is the idea) Diabetes, never again!And the eternal health secrets, of Andreas Moritz, when they are not hereditary, is normally conceived several years later by children's vaccination that have put us and by the poor diet to which we are subjected, mainly the first cause is the most common.That it is immunological or not we do not know, it is what we have always wanted to sell, but reading these two books you realize many things.

sergiojunene's profile photo
sergiojunene
08/29/2021 3:35 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.