The future of glucose measurement: laser

falconwings's profile photo   07/20/2015 8 p.m.

This is the future.Let's see when we can use it.

A laser, the alternative to punctures for diabetes patients

Diabetes patients should measure the blood sugar level, and for this they must undergo punctures on fingers that extract drops of blood and allow to show the result with portable glucometers.The process is often uncomfortable and should be repeated several times a day, which makes it annoying and invasive.

To solve it a team of researchers at the University of Leeds has created a device that uses a low power laser to measure blood glucose levels without penetrating the skin.The system could avoid the inconvenience, pain and discomforts offered by current methods, and its integration is already being raised in a "wearable" solution.

No punctures

The glucose monitor would also save costs to hospitals and medical institutions, and the continuous monitoring that this development provides would allow for example to avoid potential implants in patients to check those levels: the aforementioned alternative in the form of a wearable device would make that option unnecessary.

Link

The Glucosense Diagnostics has licensed technology, which makes use of a silicon glass with ions that react with a fluorescence of infrared light when a low power laser reaches them.This fluorescent signal varies according to blood glucose concentration, and the device measures the amount of time that fluorescence lasts and uses that data to calculate the glucose level in the blood flow of a person without the need for a needle.The process, they explain at the University of Leeds, has 30 seconds.

Those responsible for this development explain that they hope to develop two versions of the device: one in the form of a tactile sensor similar to a mouse for the computer, and the other will be a peaceful device that will allow the continuous monitoring of these patients.That last option will be especially valuable in young people with type 1 diabetes, these researchers explain.

However, as explained from the Diabetestipo1 website, there are literally dozens of non -invasive measurement projects that do not just go to the market: we will see if the development of these researchers changes the trend.

Source: Link

falconwings's profile photo
falconwings
07/20/2015 8 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

The future of measurement is that they already take out the artificial pancreas and do not have to be aware of measurements, HC or insulins or if we run or jumped all the holy day as the sick people do with the pacemakers for example.
Meanwhile we will have to comfort ourselves with these devices, although we return to the problem of glucometers, we see a specific measurement as if it were a photograph and we do not see the video as the continuous monitors do.
I am very burned with all these things that sell them as the panacea and the end of our disease, so they announce these things for TV (which do facilitate us of course, much better than to click where it will stop) but they are no morethat patches and they don't just get anything that really solves our disease, the cure would already be the bomb ... but I am realistic

Gala's profile photo
Gala
07/20/2015 8:26 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

gala said:
The future of measurement is to take out the artificial pancreas and do not have to be aware of measurements, HC or insulin or if we run or skip the whole saintday as the heart patients do with pacemaker for example.
Meanwhile we will have to comfort ourselves with these devices, although we return to the problem of glucometers, we see a specific measurement as if it were a photograph and we do not see the video as the continuous monitors do.
I am very burned with all these things that sell them as the panacea and the end of our disease, so they announce these things for TV (which do facilitate us of course, much better than to click where it will stop) but they are no morethat patches and they have not just got anything that really solves our disease, the cure would already be the bomb ... but I am realistic

The artificial pancreas that they are investigating (we have already spoken) are a sea of ​​cables and junkInsulin to act.That is why they will always need the HC and indicate it for a while before eating.

And I see well that they get better non -invasive meters, I can't stand the annoying continuous meters we have today.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
07/21/2015 7 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Of course, better non -invasive than invasive but are nothing more than patches that are putting us.
Glukometers with less blood or with any, faster insulins, slower, more concentrated, less, ball format ...
But they don't just get something resolutive ... and it's years since the disease exists ...

Gala's profile photo
Gala
07/21/2015 8:18 a.m.

Do you tell me?Haven't you read my firm?

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
07/21/2015 8:21 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Yes, that's why your answer has missed me

Gala's profile photo
Gala
07/21/2015 8:22 a.m.

Let's see when you enter the head that will not heal us.We are too big business.The sooner you accept this better.They will only get improvements in our quality of life clear payment.

rafach's profile photo
rafach
07/21/2015 9:36 a.m.

Diebetico desde hace 12 años. Ultima hemo 6.9%. Usuario de freestyle.

@Rafach, I assure you that the day the cure is, we will leave much cheaper.Of course, this can only be solved by public investigation.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
07/21/2015 12:31 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

But cheap to whom?To the State ....
And here those who handle are the lobbies among them the pharmacist.

rafach's profile photo
rafach
07/21/2015 12:43 p.m.

Diebetico desde hace 12 años. Ultima hemo 6.9%. Usuario de freestyle.

I believe that the cure can only come from a collective ... ours!This same forum, I copy links to the themes.

Link

For those who are interested in supporting research:

- Link

- Link

- Link

- Link

fer's profile photo
fer
07/21/2015 12:47 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Personally I am with @regina, we must not lose sight of the fact that pharmaceutical companies are companies, and as all companies are created to obtain benefits.Said otherwise;A pharmaceutical company will investigate what almost certainly is a short term success.
Although some people seem to cure diabetes is easy, the reality is that it is not at all, to reach a cure requires a large investment of money and time, and as we have repeatedly seen throughout history theSuccess is not guaranteed at all.
In the capitalist system in which we live, research on this and many other diseases are carried out by public bodies, such as universities, the CSIC ..., and eye, it is not that it is done for the love of art, those who decide inWhat is invested and how not, they do it looking for an economic benefit or savings for public coffers.
A few days ago we went to the pharmacy for Lantus, in the pharmacy they gave us a tyket in which it found that the real price of the box was 70 euros and peak, of which we paid 4. That implies that only in Lantus to theSocial Security spends € 66 per patient, if we add the strips, fast insulin, glucagon, complications ... Diabetes diabetes costs them a paste.Without a doubt for public bodies (especially the Spaniards) it would be a lot of profitable to find the cure, and the more people suffer from diabetes plus money will invest in cure.
In other countries, public health service does not cover the expenses of diabetics or directly there is no public health system.

Con_Q_de_quimica's profile photo
Con_Q_de_quimica
07/21/2015 9:42 p.m.

If we have a public healing healing, it is true in fact the best in the world at least for me, but they cannot get a speech that analyzes decisions and injects, all together not in 27 pots, we would all buy it, financed or without financing,At least and that I continue using deschables, there is no problem like now with bombs and insulin ... but we do not have to be dedicated almost exclusively to our ennelling, at least at least it costs me almost 24 hours a dayMaintain a hem of 5.6 and not have hypoglycemia, to which I neglect, we have already lied it, or up or down

Gala's profile photo
Gala
07/21/2015 9:49 p.m.

That could come soon, gala,
What less than an Omnipod type pump with a constructed continuous meter.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
07/22/2015 2:44 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

It seems difficult for me to find a cure since even if they find a mechanism to regenerate Beta cells the problem of autoimmune attack is still there.
About the omnipod with integrated sensor I do not have much hope either.In 2013 Insulet announced that they were developing a pump/sensor all in one but relatively recently they said that the next generation of Omnipod will serve as a dexcom G5 receiver so it seems that at the moment the integrated sensor has not set.For what I understand it is quite complicated to join a sensor and infusion mechanism and although they got it the price of the device would be so high that surely very few people would have access to it.

Inday's profile photo
Inday
07/22/2015 7:24 a.m.

Inday said:
It seems difficult for me to find a cure since even if they find a mechanism for us to regenerate Beta cells the problem of the autoimmune attack is still there.

There are also investigations to avoid autoimmune attack, reeducing it or putting the cells in capsules although in this case the problem of the lack of oxygen appears but it is also improving ...

And also among other research, highlighted those of modified muscle cells to act as Beta cells, at the University of Barcelona, ​​they have cured several dogs for many years.

The only thing that is needed is to take a risk, stop playing with mouses and puppies and treat people with real diabetes.

But as a president of a great pharmaceutics said at the avant -garde, there are two fears that they have when they do investigations one that the patients die and another that heals completely.That is why the most promising investigations are always those that never reach humans.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
07/22/2015 7:53 a.m.

sherpa41 said:
Inday said:
It seems difficult for me to find a cure since even if they find a mechanism for us to regenerate the problem of the problem of the problem of the problem of the problem ofAutoimmune attack is still there.

There are also investigations to avoid autoimmune attack, reeducing it or putting the cells in capsules although in this case the problem of the lack of oxygen appears but it is also improving ...

And also among other research, highlighted those of modified muscle cells to act as Beta cells, at the University of Barcelona, ​​they have cured several dogs for many years.

The only thing that is needed is to take a risk, stop playing with mouses and puppies and treat people with real diabetes.

But as a president of a great pharmaceutics said at the avant -garde, there are two fears that they have when they do investigations one that the patients die and another that heals completely.That is why the most promising investigations are always those that never approve in humans.

Personally, those statements do not make much sense;Why spend millions on investigations that if they go wrong are not worth at all and if they go well, they will be blocked?, And less meaning in the framework of investigations carried out by public bodies.

Nor do I think it is a matter of "risk", as long as it is experienced, but put to do so, better than experimental treatment has exceeded certain controls and is done with a minimum of guarantees and common sense, I expose the example that I always put( Link

If we put a tumor on a table and sprinkle it with a generous stream of sulfuric acid it is certain that we will load the tumor (and the table, and even the soil also also), that the result is 100% of dead tumor cells does not implyHow sulfuric acid drinking is a good idea.In a rough way it is what is done in "in vitro" studies, although in reality the cells are not put on a table, they are introduced into a Petri or similar plate, provided with a culture medium.

It is a somewhat extreme example, but I think it illustrates the reason why there are many intermediate steps before putting someone a new substance.

If I remember correctly, the EU's last project to investigate diabetes has a budget of 6.5 million euros, Madrid's compensation to a player of 11 million euros ... Isn't it really understood that the investigationBe so slow?

Con_Q_de_quimica
07/22/2015 8:22 a.m.

con_q_de_quimica said:
personally does not make much sense to those statements;Why spend millions on investigations that if they go wrong are not worth at all and if they go well, they will be blocked?, And less meaning in the framework of investigations carried out by public bodies.

They want them to go well for them, that is, there is a small improvement but they have panic to heal.All public or private investigations must be approved before by control agencies, whose members are also advisors to large pharmaceutical ones.

I don't think it is a matter of "risking", as longI always put
It is a somewhat extreme example, but I think it illustrates the reason why there are many intermediate steps before putting someone a new substance.

The problem is that pills that are often harmful and only supposed a slight improvement are rapidly tested and put to sale if there is an interest in them.On the other hand, other options that would represent a great improvement or even a cure, never do.How many diseases have pharmaceuticals cure in the last 60 years?Ah and its budget ... after the sale of weapons is the largest business in the world.

And what you say about "in vitro" experiments ... Please, nobody talks here about that, we talk about techniques that have cured mice and dogs for years and years, and instead of moving to humans, they will pass to larger dogsand then to the pigs.

Link
Link
Link

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
07/22/2015 8:37 a.m.

sherpa41 said:
con_q_de_quimica said:
personally do not make much sense to those statements;Why spend millions on investigations that if they go wrong are not worth at all and if they go well, they will be blocked?, And less meaning in the framework of investigations carried out by public bodies.

They want them to go well for them, that is, there is a small improvement but they have panic to heal.All public or private investigations must be approved before by control agencies, whose members are also advisors to large pharmaceutical ones.

I don't think it is a matter of "risking", as longI always put

The problem is that pills that are often harmful and only supposed a slight improvement are rapidly tested and put to sale if there is an interest in them.On the other hand, other options that would represent a great improvement or even a cure, never do.How many diseases have pharmaceuticals cure in the last 60 years?Ah and its budget ... after the sale of weapons is the largest business in the world.

And what you say about "in vitro" experiments ... Please, nobody talks here about that, we talk about techniques that have cured mice and dogs for years and years, and instead of moving to humans, they will pass to larger dogsand then to the pigs.

Link
Link
Link

What how many diseases have they healed?
Any study that implies the use of living beings requires a court, yes, but of bioethics, and less bad that they exist!

The in vitro tests was an example of why something may seem very promising and not reaching the experimentation phase in humans.

Con_Q_de_quimica
07/22/2015 10:14 a.m.

The pigs also has a very simple explanation, and that is related to your signature: the first insulins that came out of pork, in the slaughterhouses they were extracted so that the diabetics were injected by their similarity with the human insulin, althoughIt was not uncommon for the occasional complication to appear.Hence, first experienced with pigs rather than risk with humans.
The insulin that is used today is human, manufactured by bacteria created by genetic engineering, more comfortable to transport, use and store.For you all that is not an advance, but they suppose many hours of research.

Con_Q_de_quimica
07/22/2015 10:56 a.m.

con_q_de_quimica said:
What diseases have been cured?Hepatitis C ...

The smallpox vaccine has been centuries that exists and the others ... a child of diphtheria in Barcelona recently died that is not today.Yes, centuries ago discovered some vaccines that prevent some diseases, but do not cure it once you have contracted it.And the scoliosis, blindness, deafness that will be very specific cases because I know dozens of people with those diseases and medicine only gives them bad remedies.

con_q_de_quimica said:
was the in vitro tests an example of why something may seem very promising and not reaching the experimentation phase in humans.

The problem is that you talk to us as if we all force fools and tell us things that everyone knows as if we did not know them, in vitro research or swine insulin.Please.We are non -silly diabetics.

I will have to change my name for "I of chemical industrial engineering".Although having a career has nothing to do with knowing anything.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
07/22/2015 6:23 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.