{'en': 'The first diabetic treated with insulin (history)', 'es': 'El primer diabético tratado con insulina (Historia)'} Image

The first diabetic treated with insulin (history)

fer's profile photo   10/22/2015 6:19 p.m.

Leonard Thompson, 14 -year -old, was the first diabetes patient treated with injections of the new preparation.The experiment took place in January 1922, at General Hospital de Toronto.

On January 22, 1922, the first clinical trial was held in a human - a 14 -year -old young diabetic who weighed only 29 kilos - called Leonard Thomson.They applied 7.5 ml of the extract in each gluteus of something that in the medical tab was identified as "Macleod's serum."The impurities of the injection caused an abscess and, although there was a decrease in glycemia, it did not justify a second attempt.

On January 23, 1922 they made an essay again, this time with the purified extract using the last method that Collip had developed.Leonard Thomson, the 14 -year -old patient who had been injected into the first trial, experienced a remarkable physiological change: his low blood sugar level from 0.52% to 0.12% in 24 hours and the glucose level inUrine went from 71.1 g to 8.7 g.

The most important thing: Leonard Thomson felt wonders for the first time in his life.Due to the success of the essay, six more patients joined the study and quickly published their results, in March 1922, in a low -impact Canadian magazine.The article entitled "Pancreatic Extracts in the Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus" described clinical trials, emphasizing the first case.

Leonard could still live 13 more years, during which the treatment with insulin followed, dying at the age of 27 due to pneumonia.

You imagine what the poor boy had to happen?life of this pioneer?

Personally, from here my thanks to Leonard his contribution, in the same way as Frederick Grant Banting and John James Richard Macleod who received the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1923, in recognition of the discovery of insulin.

It is not that I am happy to be diabetic, but I am glad of the current advances, as the "that we are not so bad!, Man!": P

fer's profile photo
fer
10/22/2015 6:19 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

He died of pneumonia. There were no antibiotics still much more people for infections than by diabetes .., the antibiotics have changed the world and insulin remains almost the same ..
On the other hand, the case of this boy reminds me of the now with beta cell implant. See if we are lucky that it has the same success ...

Regina's profile photo
Regina
10/22/2015 7:34 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Advances @Fer?

100 years ago the treatment was with insulin.Today, after a century where progress has been made a thousand times more in almost all fields than in the rest of the history of man, diabetes 1 treatment remains only and exclusively insulin.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
10/22/2015 11:06 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Well, I created that if there have been advances ... since my mother's time the insulinas have changed themselves (before they were pork), the controls were urine (of total inaccuracy), nothing of bolus or bowls, no bombs, nothing from dexcom or meter that was not a ball and paper ...
Cure there is not but we have advanced ... and things are not easy to cure (which is not that they do not invent the cure pa fuck ... hahaha).
Thanks for Fer history.I knew her but it is niceHis descendants, his story is that he should not have time ...)

nina45's profile photo
nina45
11/04/2015 6:48 a.m.

Diabetica tipo II desde Diciembre de 2012 pero descendiente de diabéticos desde nacimiento
Medicacion: metformina de 850 gr mañana, mediodia y noche.
Ultima glicosila 6
Lema: "If you want a positive life, spent time with positive people!"

All those advances that you say (bolis, bomb, interstitial meters) have been a matter of technology, that was almost inevitable and have nothing to do with medicine but rather with engineering.Medically we continue to have the same treatment, insulin injection.

And there are people in the US who keep using pork insulin because he says they are better.

I have not tried it, but I will tell you that on a personal level the interstitial meter and the bomb seems very uncomfortable and much worse than the strips and the bolis.Also in my day to day I use indistinctly bolis and syringes with roads and I do not see a difference between using one or the other.

So in my humble opinion medical advances have been zero.And in technology I only seem an important advance the portable blood meter of the early 80s.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
11/04/2015 7:29 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

To start Hello Dear Sherpa41.I'm glad to read you again which means that you are fine or good, at least not worse ...
Diabetes is a relatively young disease ... we still remember the great -grandmother that was the first one who suffered it (as far as we know) ... I know who expects is an eternity but progress is not a year and hopefully it will come outThe cure although I do not come to see it ... for the thousands and thousands that can benefit ...
I will give an example ... put in Google: www.aspb.cat and you will see the history of tuberculosis (for example) ... it was hypocrates who coined the concept of "tisis" back by 460-370 to JC (when GodThe donkey won hahaha) ... So k if we compare the difference between dying like a dog like my great -grandmother and carry a bomb and an unthinkable autonomy that my niece has and be able to have children, etc ...
You will see ... in this project of our web group (havegodiabetesyque) I have asked for "relief" to whom my doctor and director of the ambulatory was where I live being a pioneer in Catalonia for its mode of self -management and currently in Mexico developing programs to treat thediabetes...
I transcribe part of your answer (avoiding personal data) because I think it is interesting that you read it ...
"Dear B ... also very congratulations on the impetus and the mood to make constructive proposals that imply improving the quality of life of people, especially among the collective of diabetics and diabetics" ... and now the most interesting partAnd from which I believe you must take good note of the concept (no idea that he considered me like that ...): "Health is not the absence of illness ... It is a way of life, autonomous, happy and solidarity ...
Therefore dear friend, doctors (and prestige) say ... a positive attitude towards the disease helps us continue to live more and better ... and while waiting to find the cure for this and already incidentally for othersMany diseases that deserve it like us.
Take care of a lot of companion and "in bad weather, good face"
As always at your disposal if you need me.
Courage and a kiss

nina45's profile photo
nina45
11/04/2015 9:04 a.m.

Diabetica tipo II desde Diciembre de 2012 pero descendiente de diabéticos desde nacimiento
Ultima glicosila 6

This man in 1922 needed to prick insulin to live, and I in 2015, almost 100 years later, I need to prick insulin to live.
Do you advance?Yes. Do you advance to the time we are?Please...

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
11/04/2015 9:42 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

sherpa41 said:
all those advances that you say (bolis, bomb, interstitial meters) have been a matter of technology, that was almost inevitable and they have nothing to do with medicine but rather with theengineering.Medically we continue to have the same treatment, insulin injection.

That is, everything that is now are pots that facilitate life, but something similar to a cure neither is expected.

The only really advanced thing with the possibility of seeing it in the short term are the encapsulated beta cells.And in a strict sense it is not a cure, the immune system continues to kill you.

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
11/04/2015 9:47 p.m.

According to critics.The only advance that could be described as such is the cure of this disease, which surely could exist.

Monica_LTD's profile photo
Monica_LTD
11/05/2015 7:53 p.m.

www.latiendadeladiabetes.com
info.latiendadeladiabetes@gmail.com

El Libro Blanco de la Diabetes
La diabetes contada por diabéticos

I would accept as advance any medication that replaced or decreases the need for insulin injection.

I do not know, something that improves the function of the islets, even if it was low, scientists say that diabetics always have some islets working at the very low level.And that there are many molecules that could improve their function.Or the encapsulated cell transplant, even if they will not work 100%.Or that other cells could supply insulin as they do in animals in the UAB do for many years.Or a combination of several things.

But that they stop playing with mouses and puppies and that they take new treatments to the market of a p.time!

Even if they were not perfect then they will improve them.The important thing would be the feeling that the medical treatment of this disease advances over time and that it is not the same ineffective and enslaving treatment 100 years ago.What would the man think of this news if we tell him that 100 years later, the treatment remains practically the same?I would think that in this century medicine has not advanced shit.

They only give us more stupid jerks to take away the pasta and to those who chain us even more.Because they can put them all wherever!

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
11/05/2015 8:26 p.m.

Hello,

I was just reading about this and another of the first was Elizabeth Hughes Gossett (the first in US).Elizabeth was diagnosed with diabetes in 1919 with 11 years.In 1922 he began to receive insulin and could graduate, marry and have children, living with diabetes 58 more years.

More information at Link

davidT1's profile photo
davidT1
11/13/2015 4:24 a.m.

DM1 desde 2015
Lantus 10 (a las 14:00h)
Novorapid 2-4-2
HbA1c 5.3
----------------------
DM3 por partida doble

Interesting about the first patient ... of course living 100 years ago with her, it would have to be ... and I don't say before ... death.Although as you say ... advances ... insulin .... continuous meter ... and little else.

I believe that we will end insulin when oil reserves are exhausted.You already understand me.It is sad, but it is so.

greetings

pabloj2000's profile photo
pabloj2000
11/14/2015 1:59 p.m.

PUBLIRREPORTAJES NO¡¡¡

For me the case of this lady is exceptional tin ... It must be one of those lucky ones to which the most adverse conditions did not affect her too much ... that's why she had to live so much ...
Anyway, and without offending, I insist that although you are right that advances are not like to make a party, the thing has improved a lot ... I still remember the diabetes of 40 years ago and the utensilsthen.Then a diabetic did not have the slightest autonomy ... I remember my mother drinking Catalan vichy because there was nothing else ... someone imagines a life without Coca Cola and Fanta Zero ??.(How sad) .. without agave or stevia syrup?? ... (If you were bad, you were going to release a splash to the nearest bar or valued it?) ... without knowing what care did you need a diabetic foot? ... without a review of podiatrist for control? ...Without background review?
And so I could continue ... but I stop and stop bored ...
Greetings and kisses

nina45's profile photo
nina45
11/20/2015 11:54 p.m.

Ultima glicosila 6

I copy and hit what I have put in another thread since we are repeating, but I laugh at progress.I remember that when I was 16, the mobiles were briefcases and now they are a clock, that is an advance, in diabetes advance?Do not get angry but I laugh at them.
You see logical that since the pen was invented, that I invented, to put the insu of a vial in a pen, my mother what they had to think, we go that I remember that we already talked to the association as comfortable as it would be that they would removeThe roads and put them in a kind of ball (28 and a half years ago).
And what has advanced the pen, the same size from the beginning, which is more than double large than the insulin cartridge inside, what happens cannot investigate something that pushes the insulin and smaller embolo?Or what happens is that they are not interested in thinking about that because we move millions of €.
Hopefully they invent something !!!But that invent an immediate action insulin, a continuous meter with real data at the time.To make transplants and go well, make exact glucometers not that you repeat the analysis many times and give you differences of up to 40 mg.
I do not know the years that you will take even more than me, but what I see that we are a very important source of money, and invents little.
You speak of demand, I laugh at that demand when in this stab Country health in each CCAA works in a different way and do not give the same material.
We are all Spanish but we all have the same rights.
There I leave the debate open.

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
11/21/2015 12:07 a.m.

Miembro del equipo moderador del foro.

Ultima prueba realizada:
Maratón San Petesrburgo (Rusia)
https://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/07/maraton-san-petersburgo-rusa-42195-mts.html

Prueba deportiva Ruta de las Fortalezas.
http://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/05/ruta-de-las-fortalezas-2019-54700.html

Facebook: Jorge Moto
Usuario Dexcom G6 y microinfusora Tandem T: Slim X2 Basal IQ

Jconegar quiet ... relax .. Don't alter your sugar!hahaha ... (a kiss).
It is true that a lot of hurry does not happen ... (to deny it) ... but I also inform you that for the first time the injectable insulin has been taken once a week ... it seems that it is only for type II but.. Something is something (which a bald said when a comb was found) ... hahaha I know good ink because I was in the hospital recently and made friends with a pharmaceutical of Lleida who would pass us information for the web ...
Great advance?Maybe not, but I appreciate every step that is given ... unfortunately it is fine how the intrigolis of pharmaceuticals and others works and I know they are not they have special mania to the collective (they also have relatives with diabetes) ... MoreIt is good society itself, the jaleo that governments have mounted (that politicians sometimes "disagree" rather than fix, for example, withdrawing the glucometer strips to type II without insulin) ... there is more cool before the neighborsEuropeans forgive spoils million debt to Latin America (which would seem very good to me if Spain was a rich country and left over) to take care of a group of patients who die do not die as they are (they should pass it) ...
As long as it does not happen to a great celebrity or an important president Obama (remember Rock Hudson and AIDS), the great advances are not going to be ... it is sad, but it is so ...
At least I see it like that ...

nina45's profile photo
nina45
11/21/2015 10:58 a.m.

Ultima glicosila 6

@nina45 Not passing the Dexcom, let me know if I get up hahaha.
But I am burned with the situation in which we are wrapped.
And if any famous happens to him it will be the same.
I would like to know in real figures the amount of money we move.

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
11/21/2015 11:14 a.m.

Ultima prueba realizada:
https://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/07/maraton-san-petersburgo-rusa-42195-mts.html

http://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/05/ruta-de-las-fortalezas-2019-54700.html

Jconegar hahaha ...
Well money if we produce yes .. (that is undeniable) but the same happened with other diseases that have cure today such as tuberculosis ... (they also gave a paston to win ...) ... the cancer that has no cure,But not everyone die (you have raised what the medication for cancer costs? Simple pills?)ha ha ha
I am little given to believe "conspiracies" of the pharmaceuticals ... I leave that for the interesting books of Robin Cook ... ("in a coma", etc) hahahaha ...
It is the time that we have had to live guys .. resignation ... in 200 years (we are going to give them room for slow hahaha) people will say: "Go and die of diabetes, look at you!" ... 50 years agoPeople died of pulmonony ...
I thank you for not living in the time of my great -grandmother who would have already "scorted it" hahaha ...
By the way, I just hung the recipe for a "super cake", which in your case that you give to everything that is pissed off (athleously speaking hahaha), it is more recommended than anything else ...
Try it and tell me.A hug

nina45's profile photo
nina45
11/21/2015 12:34 p.m.

Ultima glicosila 6

@nina45 Missing is going to make me get into some sports ones that I see how I go out.
My head does not stop.

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
11/21/2015 2:22 p.m.

Ultima prueba realizada:

Hello, I follow. Vueros debates with interest only wanted to point out that the tb insulins have improved and that new blood is still better.slow and very profitable for some true but having them.A last thing about beta cells is already trying in people I say it because something has come and it was in case you knew something.

Garci's profile photo
Garci
11/19/2017 10:24 a.m.

@"Garci" About beta cells we have several songs, I copy this.;)

Link -os

fer's profile photo
fer
11/19/2017 11:13 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.