{'en': 'Physical exercise and hyperglycemia', 'es': 'Ejercicio físico e hiperglucemia'} Image

Physical exercise and hyperglycemia

meginer's profile photo   10/25/2014 8:44 p.m.

Good to all.

I wanted to know your opinion from experience if it happened to you.I am a type 1 diabetic of 30 years of evolution.

For many years I do physical exercise at least four or five days per week.I used to go for a light pace for an hour or even running but with this now it rains, now it's cold or very hot, I signed up for a gym.

In recent years I have been a bit irregular but in the last year I have managed to be quite constant.Two or three times I made spinning but it went very badly, they gave me some horrific increases around 300 or even more.

As is an exercise that has a lot of anaerobic part I left it, and I got into Aerobic, Step, Body Combat, or tape or canes.I've been doing these exercises for a long time but it is weird the day after them, I am not given an important hyperglycemia, close or overcoming the 300.

I no longer know if it is because I exercise in the afternoon, about 19:30, and there is hardly any insulin in the body (work until 5 and I cannot at another time), or by the catecholamines released in the exercise or the twothings.

Once even thinking about the first, I have put some fast insulin before exercise to help metabolize blood sugar and I have to say that post -lunch glycemia has improved.

I wanted to know if there is any way to avoid this, or if nothing happens because it is a passenger effect (but sometimes it lasts three hours or more), or if these exercises are too intense and cause me hyperglycemia and it would be betterdo others ...

The endocrine tells me that it is good and that it does not have to get so much, but it goes up, and before the exercise I usually be at less than 170.

A hug.

Elena

meginer's profile photo
meginer
10/25/2014 8:44 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

The experience I have with my daughter is that the strong exercise, it goes up.Pilates, swimming or dance is good .. If you see that you always climb you and that you are doing very fast insulin, I would put it, with no more problem.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
10/25/2014 8:54 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

But before, right?Because if I correct later, before dinner, that is, I put on the usual for dinner more what I calculate more for what I have discharged, in the end they give me hypos, for the late effect of the exercise.

Elena

meginer's profile photo
meginer
10/26/2014 9:04 a.m.

Yes, before.If the same thing happens to you, it is better to avoid it.

A hug.I'm glad to see you again for the forum.:)

Regina's profile photo
Regina
10/26/2014 1:54 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

I would like to know more opinions, of people who frequently happen to hyperglycemia after exercise and how they have tried to solve it if you can.Kisses.

Elena

meginer's profile photo
meginer
10/26/2014 2:19 p.m.

Lately I exercise more intense and come from the gym with hyperglycemia (200 - 230), what I do is not eat many hydrates at dinner (no more than 2 portions) and not click quickly.The blood glucose goes down alone, I even have to walk the parrot before going to sleep and eat something always.I usually get home at 7:30 p.m. and Ceno 1 hour or then.

mimbek's profile photo
mimbek
10/26/2014 7:05 p.m.

It is quite proven that intense exercise produces hyperglycemia.It seems to be related to the production of hormones that derive from the stress of physical activity, or because it is lacking insulin.You do not tell us, Meginer, what time do you put on the basal insulin, but if it is in the afternoon that could be the cause, that you no longer have reservation, and it should be considered to put it in the morning.
But in any case, in my modest opinion, why strive to carry out an exercise that harms?I think there are multiple physical activities that can be done, without crushing in the gym.Such as fast walking, swimming, static bicycle at home while you see TV or music, etc.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
10/27/2014 4:17 a.m.

@Miguel depends on how you look.I have already thought about the pros and cons ... and I keep the pros.Going to the gym means being a high hour, but then I am much more regulated.In addition, what is now an intense exercise tomorrow will not be so because you are taking physical form.I have already tried to go, or make a bike at home ... but I don't commit the same, in the end I always leave it.In the gym I overcome more, every day it is different, I notice how progress ... however the other is much more monotonous, and go almost always alone bores me.

mimbek's profile photo
mimbek
10/27/2014 5:47 a.m.

Miguel.I don't machaco, or at least I think so.I do an hour or three quarters of Aerobic or Step.He has fun because it is a choreographed activity and also aerobic.It is not as intense as spinning for example, it is moderate intensity.Walking and running too but is boring and apart it depends a lot on meteorology, it does, it is very hot (I live in the south).The gym is more stable.I get basal lantus at night and fast at meals, it may be for that.
I arrived, but I tried to set myself tomorrow and the same

Elena

meginer's profile photo
meginer
10/27/2014 8:38 a.m.

It is seen that diabetes is a peculiar world, and each person lives it a bit in their best way.As Mimbek and Meginer say, if you compensate for you the gym for different reasons, because great.It is true that an hour or more of hypoglycemia is not important, then lowering at normal levels.
It is also true that both recognize that personal preferences also influence, one because it is boring to walk alone, another for the metereology, etc.
I would recommend alternating ... gym one day and another any other physical alternative that does not produce those hyperglycemia, but I repeat, each one mounts it in their own way and does well.
In any case, I suppose you with a guy, derived from those exercises in the gym and hey ... everything counts and everything is good.
Well, nothing, to have a good time and forward with good spirit.

DiabetesForo
10/27/2014 10:25 a.m.

My main sport goes to run, but taking advantage that this summer was injured of tendonitis in the Achilles Talon, I sign up for a gym in mid -August.

Towards machines, that is, weight exercises, no aerobic.Well, it arrived high later.Informing me here in the forum and online, I saw that if I made some aerobic before getting weight, I helped maintain glucose levels.And the truth is that it has helped me to do about 10 minutes of elliptics before the machines and weights.

After a while and being adapted to lifting weights, it seems that the glucose does not upload me so much.

A curious thing that I must review is that today for example, at 2 hours of Come I was in 77, I have gone to the gym and I have done very little of elliptics, I have made about 50 minutes of machines and weight and I have reached my housein 147. Before dinner he had 186.

My conclusion is that intense exercise rises glycemia and you have to compensate for some aerobic.

DiabetesForo
10/27/2014 7:27 p.m.

Greetings, ps today if I get scared I got up early to exercise but before I started I did the medication and went out with 99 I do half an hour of bicycle, I got to bathe you got up to go to work and I get there doubt I did the medicationAnd I went out with 129, I do not understand the truth to be due to this, and in these last days I was dating 92 94 99 without exercise

jesusverastegui's profile photo
jesusverastegui
10/29/2014 4:18 p.m.

Hello, the truth is that each person is a world.I used to worked in construction, she urged a lot, a lot of physical effort, many hours, I did not have time to do any sport, and I almost always had it high, between 250 and 270, but almost always the same.The endocrine told me to begin to vary the insulin doses until the desired level was achieved, and when I was getting it, and unfortunately, I was unemployed.Well, I bought a bicycle and started playing with it, almost daily, and now I suffer both hypoglycemia as well as quite severe hyperglycemia, (45, 50, and up to 350 and 400).They put me for 6 days a meter to see my case and try to determine the reason for those decompensations and nothing ... getting worse, climbing dose, not taking when I lame the bike, the day that I do not take it shoots me ...The worst thing is that the endocrine no longer visits me, (you are doing the test and varying the doses and only in the extreme case you meet to see you) he told me.I walk crazy for looking for a private endocrine to see if it solves this, that by the way I take the opportunity to ask that if someone knows any in Granada tells me, please.Thank you and encourage everyone.

giusseppe's profile photo
giusseppe
10/30/2014 12:59 p.m.

meginer said:
but before, right?Because if I correct later, before dinner, that is, I put on the usual for dinner more what I calculate more for what I have discharged, in the end they give me hypos, for the late effect of the exercise.

Elena

Hello, what happens to you is very common but it can be prevented, you exercise when there is little insulin in your body and, if you already have a high value when you start sport, your blood glucose level will rise.I do intense sports 4 days a week, before going to the gym I measure me and I correct if I am above 170. I have also changed my exercise schedule and start at 6pm, so I avoid that climb.Eye with correcting after exercise, you have to be careful with the dose because insulin is better absorbed.

Do the test and tell me how it is doing.

Sarita83's profile photo
Sarita83
11/17/2014 12:38 p.m.

Hi Elena,

They have given me chills when reading you.5 minutes ago I was telling my case to a friend and is traced to yours, it seems that you heard us hahahaha.Therefore the tips that I read here are 100x100, thank you all.

I save the Lantus test in the morning because I see that it doesn't work.

I had already tried to prick a couple of units before exercise (I make padel, which in principle is not anaerobic), and for three weeks I have been free freestyle and I dare to change many things that I have never dared, so thatI have seen exactly that what you say, in my case 1.30 hours of exercise late in the afternoon they rise quietly from 100 to 250 glucose.

At the moment I have tried to click 3 units of fast before the exercise (since the slow one is already in the last), yet I finish the game a little high and with a tendency to climb more (I know this now thanks to the freestyle).

What I do is click on the slow and fast just after the game, but subtracting the rapid that I have already punctured before the game.Then I do not start dinner until the glucose starts to go down.

At the moment the result is good, but I suppose each one is a world.I have only started to do it a couple of weeks ago but I am quite happy.

Well, I feel if I have extended too much, greetings and thanks for your advice !!

DiabetesForo
11/17/2014 1:30 p.m.

Kraken I see that you are making it phenomenal, I love reading how you are adjusting and seeing results :) I hope that who reads you will be encouraged to follow your example.

Although you have to make adjustments, do not stop doing sports, it is the basis of good control and it is a habit that we must encourage.

Sarita83's profile photo
Sarita83
11/17/2014 2:38 p.m.

Thanks Sarita !!!

I attach a photo of this morning because "I have to tell someone" hahahaha.Glycemia curve after doing what I tell you yesterday afternoon...

I am very excited, as I was not there for a long time.

Greetings

DiabetesForo
11/18/2014 7:55 a.m.

It's great!:) The truth is that many times we find the solution thanks to the essay and error, but when it goes well it is a triumph.I'm very happy to hear it!!

Sarita83's profile photo
Sarita83
11/18/2014 10:24 a.m.

Yesterday he gave me hyperglycemia after walking on tape half an hour, I had 130 then I was going down and at the time of dinner I had 200 !!Like Pikachu's meme with my mouth open, nor the most minimal sense.I would understand that hyper if it had been anaerobic physical activity with dumbbells but never aerobic, always the aerobic lows a lot for what here is applied the 2+2 is not 4. Really that anger, I think that last week I had a similar day too.

FERLE's profile photo
FERLE
02/27/2019 1:18 p.m.

DT1
MINIMED 640G
FREESTYLE LIBRE

It is really not nice, again with hyper after tape, will it be influenced by disconnecting from the pump to walk?I do not think so much in that since previously I always disconnected and walked without problem and also when making the disconnection is not a peak hour in which I receive basal, I usually disconnect at 18:10 more or less and by 18:50 I have been connected again to receive the 19:00 basal seems quite weird and it makes me angry.

FERLE's profile photo
FERLE
03/06/2019 12:52 p.m.

DT1
MINIMED 640G
FREESTYLE LIBRE

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.