{'en': 'How many insulin units do you prick?', 'es': 'Cuantas unidades de insulina os pinchais?'} Image

How many insulin units do you prick?

afafita2's profile photo   11/08/2014 2:20 p.m.

In summer less insulin is used because it is more hot and the body of each person needs less energy to produce that heat (less energy ---> less glucose ---> less insulin).
Link

mamarvazq's profile photo
mamarvazq
06/20/2019 10:43 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello AFAFITA2.
As you say each person is a world.Therefore, we will have different ratios, sensitivity and resistance to insulin in each time of the day.
In response to one of your questions a lot of insulin is bad?Well, it depends on how the question is badly raised.It would not be bad if it is compensated with the HC that you are going to ingest.The ideal would be that you learned to count hydrates and so you will know in a more precise way how much insulin you need.Another aspect would be trying to achieve normaglycemia values ​​(70 - 140), it would be ideal to be as in 75% of the time in that range and this is achieved by ingesting low glycemic load carbohydrates.With aerobic physical activity.Sleeping well generally the same hours.And with a lot of willpower.Greetings and take care of yourself.

Angel Martin Rosa's profile photo
Angel Martin Rosa
06/23/2019 5:41 p.m.

Those who use bomb as me, how much basal do they use per day?mere curiosity:#

FERLE's profile photo
FERLE
07/24/2019 3:47 p.m.

DT1
MINIMED 640G
FREESTYLE LIBRE

@Ferle, I use about 15U, which corresponds to a little more than 50%.Greetings.

solaria's profile photo
solaria
07/24/2019 5:03 p.m.

Debut 46 â- 2012. DM1. Celiaquía e intolerancia lactosa. Anemia perniciosa.
MiniMed 640g + SmartGuard.

@Ferle, I use about 9u, which corresponds to 27%.Greetings.

mamarvazq's profile photo
mamarvazq
07/24/2019 8:54 p.m.

I put 24 units of Tresiba at night and the fast, because it depends on the glycemia with which I reach the intake, which taking into account that my day begins at 4.45 and ends at 23.00 because a few intakes do daily:)

macarron_con_diabetes's profile photo
macarron_con_diabetes
07/28/2019 1:12 p.m.

DM1 desde Julio 1992 (con 11 años).
Bomba Medtronic 780G con Novorapid.
HbA1c: 5,9% (Octubre 2022), TIR 91%

Hello,
Regarding the question "and another question, clicking a lot of insulin does other damage? Is it bad?"

I know only my nephew who has been with DM1 for about 20 years, started with Crio, which has now generated a certain insulin resistance.What does now is to practice more sport regularly.Boxing is doing very well.He told me that that allows him to reduce doses and that he has also seen that insulin is again as effective as before.

I imagine that after many years with DM you can pose problems with insulin and each person is a world and reacts differently.

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
07/31/2019 3:51 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

@jldiazdel If you are increasing the doses indicates that there is more and more insulin resistance and that is bad, it generates many problems and can reach type 2 diabetes that added to a type 1 is a very dangerous bomb.If it is only to days or seasons it is normal, the body does not always need the same amount of insulin.Many things influence hormones, exercise, to heat.It is quite normal to have to lower or climb dose when the heat arrives and re -adjust when the cold arrives.And in women with the menstrual cycle constantly changes us.But they are usually small changes.If the need is always increasing, it is insulin resistance and that must be stopped when before.The best way is to reduce hydrates, especially flour, potato, pasta, rice and sugars that are the most triggered insulin and exercise needs.They also act as a prevention, it is better not to wait to have a problem to start taking care of themselves.If you have already begun to do sports it is on the right track, that always helps to have better health and prevent diseases.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
08/01/2019 10:56 a.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

@jldiazdel is normal that over the years insulin needs, still doing the same lifestyle.The important thing is that they rise slowly, for wear of our body, not for abuse or excesses we commit.
The more you take care of yourself, the better you will reach older, but we go with or without diabetes.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
08/01/2019 11 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

@Yessica_a
@Ruthbia

thank you

I think it goes too much at night, but of course with 28 years!My brother and endocrine try to control it as much as possible, but it is already more focused.And he has seen that the sport has stopped deterioration.

All the best

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
08/01/2019 11:09 a.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

yesssica_a said:
@jldiazdel if you are increasingly increased the doses indicates that there are more and more insulin resistance and that is bad, generates many problems and can reach type 2 diabetes that added toA type 1 is a very dangerous bomb.If it is only to days or seasons it is normal, the body does not always need the same amount of insulin.Many things influence hormones, exercise, to heat.It is quite normal to have to lower or climb dose when the heat arrives and re -adjust when the cold arrives.And in women with the menstrual cycle constantly changes us.But they are usually small changes.If the need is always increasing, it is insulin resistance and that must be stopped when before.The best way is to reduce hydrates, especially flour, potato, pasta, rice and sugars that are the most triggered insulin and exercise needs.They also act as a prevention, it is better not to wait to have a problem to start taking care of themselves.If you have already begun to do sports it is on the right track, that always helps to have better health and prevent diseases.

Good, looking at this ... Let's see, I don't think having type 1 diabetes, you can develop type 2, if with 1 the pancreas directly does not produce insulin ... just by pointing.Inversely it is possible.Greetings

javiertierno's profile photo
javiertierno
01/02/2022 9:40 p.m.

With fast insulin I do not have a fixed guideline, it depends on how I get to meals, I am very unstable, my diabetes is difficult to control, and what I will eat.What I have fixed is metformin after each meal, and the slow, 44 units at night.

Emily's profile photo
Emily
01/03/2022 3:33 a.m.

Diabetes post quirúrgica desde el 02/03/17, Toujeo, Novorapid, y ahora también metformina después de las comidas.
Freestylelibre 2 desde mediados de diciembre 2021, que me lleva loca.

@javiertenero Type 2 diabetes is due to insulin resistance, there comes a time when so much resistance is not able to maintain stable glucose.This occurs the same if it is your pancreas that produces insulin or if you injected it.If you need to raise doses every time (unless your pancreas stops producing little by little as in the lad), it is for insulin resistance and that in the end ends in a type 2 diabetes although no one diagnoses youas such as type 1. But the effect of having very high insulin values ​​in the body is the same as in a type 2.

Yessica_A
01/03/2022 8:30 a.m.

I understand that type 2 diabetes is pancreas wear, regardless of insulin resistance.The body does not give you the necessary insulin for diet and lifestyle and needs a stimulus (antidiabetic pill or exogenous insulin).As with all degenerative diseases, if you take care you can extend your useful life and not get to use insulin.

In Lada, you may need insulin from the first day of detection and never produce insulin.At least in my case.There are no beta or very scarce cells.Moreover, over the years more insulin is needed and not due to resistance, I think it is simply because the body is customary.And more and more are needed, for any type of food: hydrates, proteins, fats ..... everything requires insulin.So they explained it to me in the debut and as is.I put insulin for any type of food.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
01/03/2022 8:41 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

@Ruthbia If all foods need insulin, what most hydrates but proteins and fats also need it and to cover the glucose itself produced by the liver (that's why the basal is used).I also use insulin for any food but for very little fats and proteins, instead for hydrates it is very necessary.
The problem is that if you eat too many foods that raise glucose (ultra -processed especially with flours and sugar) because in the end you always have insulin to cover that and the body is "used" to those doses and the cells ignore theThat you need more insulin for the same.It is more complicated than that but in summary in a simple way it would be that.In this way, resistance to insulin is developed and with the time type 2 diabetes that is an insulin resistance more beast that no longer manages to maintain glucose in normal range and over time the pancreas deteriorates from the overexertion of producing so muchinsulin.
All this Jason Fung explains very well in the book "The Code of Diabetes" and also explains how to reverse that resistance.If the pancreas is damaged that cannot be fixed, but before producing the situation you can revert.Many people with insulin resistance or with type 2 diabetes manage to return to normal levels of insulin and glucose in a few weeks of low hydrates diet.Combined with fasting and strength sport much better too.In Jason Fung's book he describes several cases of patients.
Really type 2 diabetes is always getting worse because most doctors do not treat it properly and in the end the pancreas wears out and it is not possible to treat it without medication.The patient with photocopy diets of 50% hydrates is maintained and that only makes it worse, but if the pancreas is not very damaged it is a disease that can be reversed by changing habits.
There are also other reasons to need more insulin that are totally physiological and do not develop permanent insulin resistance.For example, pregnancy in the second half, passing a virus, hormonal changes (in women we see it every month that changes the needs depending on the moment of the cycle) ... all that is normal and returns to normal onceThe situation passes.With age what usually happens is that muscle is lost and with it sensitivity to insulin, but if strength is still training this does not have to pass.
In Lada it depends on how fast the pancreas is destroyed, sometimes some beta cells remain for years and they are gradually destroyed and that is why the increase in insulin that in that case is not bad is noticeable.In type 1 sometimes it also happens but destruction is usually faster.In my case I have not varied the basal in years except for the situations of hormonal changes (pregnancy, breastfeeding and menstrual cycle) and some era that I have exercised cardio almost daily.

Yessica_A
01/03/2022 10:01 a.m.

I fast about 10 units but what eats and slowly the three at night much more than you, I have about 60 units and still arrived high in the morning, I'm going to sleep at 90 and I wake up at 200

Rogerix's profile photo
Rogerix
01/04/2022 8:56 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.