An unpleasant experience

ernesto's profile photo   06/11/2015 2:10 a.m.

The most unpleasant and dangerous experience that I have had with hypoglycemia was this that tells below.
I will explain all the considerations that I make and the decisions that I think were the right ones but I am not sure that they were the best or that there is no other, or other approaches.
It was a Saturday in the middle of a festive bridge and we were in the town.
The day was developing normally and came to eat between 90 and 100.
I shed 5 units and take 5 rations of hydrates in total, noodles with some meat and fruit.
30 minutes after the puncture and 10 after finishing eating and without prior notice I had a “vomiting in shotgun” of book, abrupt, without warning and without any previous sensation.
I instantly put on a situation, I have insulin in the body and there is no food and if my stomach does not accept liquids I am in the middle of a huge problem.
I will explain the situation and what I thought.
If I were at home in Valencia, I have it clear: to leave for the hospital to put me a dropper with glucose.
I have glucagon as is normal but as I had proven before and then I have proven many times the order of insulin is more level than the order of glucagon, so I can already prick me or the bed mattress because the effect will be thesame.
What does it mean that it is more level?Well, if the insulin level exceeds a specific threshold, the liver pays attention to insulin and olympically despises glucagon, this is the reason why the so -called “digestion cuts” occur, but I leave that for another day.
But the town is 20 km from Villar del Archbishop (by a mountain road full of curves) where there is an ambulatory town where I am almost certain that they have nothing and also Saturday at 3 in the afternoon andThe bridge as much as possible is that there is no one.
The next point where it is possible that there is attention is in Liria but that represents 25 km more and in total it would take us almost an hour to arrive.
Also at this moment I am fine but in a few minutes I will start to get bad and my wife will have to drive along the road taking me to the side and with the tension that represents if I lose knowledge or if the vomit is repeated ... it is too much riskfor both of them.
The other option is to call 112 to send an ambulance with a dropper, but that would be sent to us from Liria with what time is the same and with which they take 10 minutes to leave or worse still leave from Valencia we talk thatI have to save the situation during the next hour and fourth as a minimum.
While calculating this what I did was check the vomiting and I observe that all the food is apparently and that there is very little liquid, that can mean that the liquid is passing through the stomach.
This is a point in favor.
Fortunately I always have at home Primperan (active Metoclopramid) that is one of the best medications since it has central action (in the brain) and peripheral (in the stomach and duodenum) and to complete the definition of perfect medication, the dose to doseThe one that begins to become toxic is so huge that you just don't have to worry about it since it does not fit so much in the body.
I take the decision to stay and solve what we can.
I have that I have scared and that should make it adrenaline in blood and I hope that cortisol and other cut of stress.
That in principle rises glycemia but I have no idea how much of this is blocked by insulin, as it blocks glucagon, but the evolutionary logic indicates that it should be blocked less.
Today I am not sure about this data, and I do not feel like taking a dislike one hour after eating just to verify a supposition, so if it ever happens by accident I will watch it to see what happens.
First prepare the cansFrom Coca Cola Light (at home we did not have a sugar) and with a lot of precaution take a “generous” dose of primpean with a newly open tin tail.
Why do you just open open?Very simple the carbonic gas of carbonated drinks accelerate and help gastric transit so I try with the combination that everything goes in the right direction ... down.
The singing that I take is small to prevent a large volume from filling the stomach and decides to make a digestion cycle with the arrest it entails.
If a small amount of liquid enters little by little, regular ones are formed through the stomach walls that carry the direct liquid to the duodenum
I look forward to 3 or 4 minutes and move by making a gastric sucusion movement that basically consists of struggling from right to left or from front to back to check if the liquid in the stomach shapes waves and splashes and serves to know if the digestion is progressingor has stopped.
I think we all have the experience of a meal and that when we move the liquid in the stomach to move like in a cantimplora half -fill.
Ok ... it's happening, so I start carefully with the glyc up simile that I use and take it little by little and mix it with the tail with the greatest amount of gas to pass ...
It has been an hour, I have gone to 40, I am still conscious with a horse hiccups, sweat, tremors, confusion, hunger that would bite a contrama in one leg if it stays still ... Let's go typical.
I have already put 60 grams of hydrates and one of the concerns is that the vomit is not repeated.
The shotgun vomit is because of an electrolytic imbalance or by a brain affection and apparently neither of them was happening to me and it has never been repeated again, but at that time and a half obnubilated it did not stop spinning.
Then I have also turned him around and I can't find an explanation so I leave him in the drawer of rare things and not explain.
Little by little, with a desperate slowness the sugar goes up, then it stops, it goes down a little, we go back, we go ... very unpleasant.
All the time we had the glucagon but without using it since as I have explained it would not have served at all except that when the insulin was metabolized the climb is apotheosic.
Finally it begins to rise and the climb is nothing from the other world ... 200, a Naderia for what could have been.
Already with everything normal and with a feeling that they had beat me up we returned to Valencia just in case the vomit was repeated and ... it was not repeated.
Well, as I said at the beginning this is how it was everything and as it focuses ... I hope someone can serve you and if you want to clarify or explain something tell me and try and if you think I did it wrong thirst indulgent and explain myself because.

ernesto's profile photo
ernesto
06/11/2015 2:10 a.m.

DM1 Lada debut 22/12/2013 con 55 años

But have you ever had a problem of fainting or loss of serious awareness due to hypoglycemia, because I see you exaggeratedly scared and obsessed with something that is completely normal?

I have ever punctured 20 Humalog units and then I have not been able to eat for some kind of urgency, or I have punctured twice by mistake and I have only had normal hypoglycemia.

And many times with gastroenteritis I have vomited everything after eating (and clicking) and the same disease, effort and nerves make you upload the sugar as if you had eaten.And in these cases I don't even have a hiccup.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
06/11/2015 2:39 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

I would have taken a caramel to start with something, it is difficultDoctors against vomiting picture.
A glass with juice and sugar and take small spoons to admit the stomach.

But of course I would not have left with the car, your option to solve the problem at home is the best, faster and more effective.: -BD

aranzazuleg's profile photo
aranzazuleg
06/11/2015 10:57 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

The only thing that I see badly (apart from your concern and excessive obsession) is that you do not have Coca Cola with sugar in your home.Although when I am not under obviously I take light, at home I only have drinks with sugar (fanta, cocacola, cacaolat, horchata, honey) I have them only for when my sugar lowers, depending on the moment of the day or the night whenI get one thing or another.

Whenever I go on vacation somewhere, the first thing I do is buy all that to be calm.It is a failure that I see in many diabetics, when light drinks can be bought quietly before taking it instead not.In addition, the sweeteners they carry make them expire very fast.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
06/11/2015 11:50 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

In my personal opinion I believe that your concern is not exaggerated at all;The vomiting in shotgun is reason enough to go to the emergency room, if we add the certainty that a hypoglycemia is coming that we do not know if we can compensate is more than justified to worry.In my personal experience, I have observed that the diabetic people I know tend to reduce the importance to hypoglycemia, I understand that every hicc as you can not be thinking "I'm going to die!", Today, in our society it is relativelyEasy to correct hypo without major difficulties, but we must remember that hypoglycemia is a medical emergency of level 1 (maximum level), if we have doubts about whether we will be able to solve it for ourselves, it is always immediately calling 112.

Eye, calling 112 does not necessarily imply that they will send you an ambulance, sometimes the situation is resolved following the guidelines that indicates the service doctor on the other side of the line.By the way, I think it would be very useful for them to create a specific telephone number for diabetic emencies.

To put some paste to the @ernesto story, it should be noted that calling 112 and simultaneously start the procedures that indicate are not incompatible acts, I think the most prudent is to do both and as soon as the situation improves again to indicate it to indicate it.

Con_Q_de_quimica's profile photo
Con_Q_de_quimica
06/11/2015 1:28 p.m.

Well nothing, every time we catch a flu of stomach and vomit after eating, we call all saying that there is an urgency of level 1 to see if the army and the navy come to save us.:)]

The two exaggerated forum have joined, one surely because it is recently diabetic and the other because it is not and cares excessively for their girlfriend.What you have in Comuno is that it seems that you know "too much" of medicine.And as they always say, doctors are the worst patients.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
06/11/2015 1:55 p.m.

sherpa41 said:
well nothing, every time we catch a flu of stomach and vomit after eating, we call all saying that there is an urgency of level 1 to see if the army and the navy come tosave us.:)]

The two exaggerated forum have joined, one surely because it is recently diabetic and the other because it is not and cares excessively for their girlfriend.What you have in Comuno is that it seems that you know "too much" of medicine.And as they always say, doctors are the worst patients.

Hehehehe, guilty!, Although the danger in that case would be rather the ketoacidosis that ..... this

: D

Con_Q_de_quimica
06/11/2015 2:05 p.m.

Friends, you just meet @Sherpa41, I'm glad you don't take your extra acidity into account!;)

fer's profile photo
fer
06/14/2015 3:43 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

fer said:
friends, you just meet @sherpa41, I'm glad you don't take your extra acidity into account!;)

For my part I am sure that he has understood what he intended to say and not what he has commented, and the touch of humor is appreciated, which is the best tool for everything to be more bearable.

Con_Q_de_quimica
06/15/2015 12:45 a.m.

con_q_de_quimica said:
... In my personal experience, I have observed that the diabetic people I know tend to reduce importance to hypoglycemia, I understand that to each hicc as you can not be thinking "I am going to die! ", Today, in our society it is relatively easy to correct a hypo without major difficulties, but we must remember that a hypoglycemia is a medical emergency of level 1 (maximum level) ...

There are times that glycemia are like a roller coaster, you can have up to 4 hypos in one day, which you have been with diabetes for a while, calling emergencies for a hiccup sounds strange!

In my case, I have only had a serious episode, I almost fainted, after that, I added an option of "emergency call!"To the forum app, which sends mails with the notice to a list of addresses that you put, including the mobile GPS position, in addition to making a TLF call.To the number you set up, all that at a single click !!;)

fer's profile photo
fer
06/15/2015 10:52 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

fer said:
con_q_de_quimica said:
... In my personal experience, I have observed that the diabetic people I know tend to reduce importance to hypoglycemia,I understand that to every hicc1 (maximum level) ...

There are times that glycemia are like a roller coaster, you can have up to 4 hypos in one day, which you have been with diabetes for a while, calling emergencies for a hiccup sounds strange!

In my case, I have only had a serious episode, I almost fainted, after that, I added an option of "emergency call!"To the forum app, which sends mails with the notice to a list of addresses that you put, including the mobile GPS position, in addition to making a TLF call.To the number you set up, all that at a single click !!;)

Of course, I do not say that each hiccCase that friend @ernesto tells us

Con_Q_de_quimica
06/16/2015 1 a.m.

Well, it will be a bit acidic, but it is part of the reason.
I have had serious hypos without losing knowledge but 32, 34 ... Acetosis of days ... and sincerely I have learned it is to live as diabetic and relativize the seriousness of our crisis ..

AnNa's profile photo
AnNa
06/17/2015 4:24 p.m.

Another thing!I do not have experience but doctors are not gurus k they heal you instantly ... little more k they will do about it.Thus no one better k you to solve a decompensation, by gastroenteritis, flu among others.

AnNa's profile photo
AnNa
06/17/2015 4:37 p.m.

Soon the diagnosis I had authentic dread to the hypos, even having anxiety crisis when I ate home.As you can imagine my quality of life was very bad.One day I was at home I put insulin for dinner and at 15 minutes when I had not yet finished dinner my glucose began to go down very fast.You can imagine the symptoms: tachycardia, sweat, anguish ... Enfin, the fact is that with a couple of coca-colas cans the situation sort the situation and 50 minutes later I was already tracing.Interestingly, that episode made me lose the fear of hypos, I realized that although they are dangerous situations we can normally solve them.And above all, I think that with this disease it is important to lose fear (not respect) because if you do not live.Today I do what I feel like (eat out, travel, sport) which gives me the feeling of normality I need to be happy.I could not do all this if I lived constantly with fear.

Inday's profile photo
Inday
06/17/2015 4:43 p.m.

What @inday explains, the theme of fearing the descents and the time to calculate insulin, is fatal, has happened to me, and you have to live !!!

fer's profile photo
fer
06/17/2015 4:51 p.m.

Neither so much that you have to live and make "normal" life, not normal, that after an episode of those you are going to work like any son of a neighbor and so happy, if we are brave, I would like to see if the non -diabetics laterFrom a descent of these they will work or call to say that they are malitos ...

Gala's profile photo
Gala
06/17/2015 5:04 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

gala said:
neither so much that you have to live and make "normal" life, not normal, that after an episode of those you are going to work like every child as a neighbor and so happy,If we are brave, I would like to see if the non -diabetics after a descent of these are going to work or call to say that they are malitos ...
>
It depends whether they are autonoms or not!

aaandres's profile photo
aaandres
06/17/2015 5:33 p.m.

Padre de Andrés, 17 años. Debut: septiembre de 2011.
Levemir (30ud. mañana y 24ud. noche) y Novorapid (en desayuno, comida, merienda y cena 40ud aprox - 24HC/día).
Medidor continuo DEXCOM G4 desde julio 2014
Hemo: 6.2 (Sept. 2013), 7.0 (Dic. 2013), 6.9 (Marzo 2014), 6,6 (Junio 2014), 6,7 (Sept. 2014), 7,0 (Dic. 2014), 7,7 (Mar 2015), 6,9 (Jul. 2015), 7,0 (Sept 2015), 7,4 (Dic 2015), 6,8 (Mar 2016), 6,6 (Julio 2016), 6,8 (Octubre2016)... 7,0 (Mar 2018)

I autonomous !!So to work ... !!As Joaquín Prat said, but when it was not also I was going, I have never missed, so he bothers me that they consider us not suitable, others were very missing for things of little importance but ... some cardan the wool and others we carried fame... well, I changed my thread ...

Gala's profile photo
Gala
06/17/2015 5:44 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

I know, I know.And what programs a lot and well.
It was one, repeatedly, unfortunate joke that already tires.As one of the new elected in these last elections has dared to say, the self -employed are (we are) some "self -exploiters."sic.
Send ...

aaandres's profile photo
aaandres
06/17/2015 6:54 p.m.

Padre de Andrés, 17 años. Debut: septiembre de 2011.
Levemir (30ud. mañana y 24ud. noche) y Novorapid (en desayuno, comida, merienda y cena 40ud aprox - 24HC/día).
Medidor continuo DEXCOM G4 desde julio 2014
Hemo: 6.2 (Sept. 2013), 7.0 (Dic. 2013), 6.9 (Marzo 2014), 6,6 (Junio 2014), 6,7 (Sept. 2014), 7,0 (Dic. 2014), 7,7 (Mar 2015), 6,9 (Jul. 2015), 7,0 (Sept 2015), 7,4 (Dic 2015), 6,8 (Mar 2016), 6,6 (Julio 2016), 6,8 (Octubre2016)... 7,0 (Mar 2018)

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.