Only one in five patients with diabetes is informed of the possible loss of vision

fer's profile photo   02/09/2016 6:05 p.m.

The loss of vision or blindness is one of the complications of diabetes to which these patients are more concerned but, nevertheless, only one in five claims to be informed of this risk, according to data from the world barometer on diabetic retinopathy thatIt will be presented soon.

The study, sponsored by Bayer and whose results will be presented next Saturday, February 13 at the III Experience Day Diabetes, has been carried out in more than 40 countries and has collected the opinion of 5,000 people, including more than 3,500 patients and 1,400 health professionals.

The study also reveals that among patients with diabetes there is a lack of knowledge of the ocular complications of diabetes.In fact, almost half of respondents (47%), do not go to ophthalmological review for not knowing that it is necessary and can prevent future problems.

In this way, 26 percent of patients have not reviewed the view in the last two years, while less than a third are diagnosed on time, and come to the consultation when vision problems have already appeared.

Similarly, the study includes the opinion of professionals and shows how up to two thirds say they do not have enough educational information on diabetes and their eye complications that can provide their patients.

The loss of vision affects the physical and psychic health of people with diabetes and impacts the patient's ability to manage their disease, as also shows the study, since patients who have already suffered such loss have twice as manyDays of poor physical and mental health.

fer's profile photo
fer
02/09/2016 6:05 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

One of the problems that diabetic retinopathy has is that it is not solved with drugs, no matter how much they try.Only early diagnosis and the correct laser photocoagulation is truly effective.Expensive, if there is no money to earn, not interest too much

Javier Arriaga Sanz's profile photo
Javier Arriaga Sanz
02/09/2016 10:25 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

4 years ago I was diagnosed with moderate not proliferated retinopathy in both eyes.The expert retina ophthalmologist was clear exhaustive control and AC1 in 6 or less.The endocrine doctor told me that 7 was fine but the retina expert assured me that if I carried that rhythm losing 50% of the vision in less than 2 years.Today I only have mild retinopathy in the right eye and I wear glasses for far, my promise with myself was that I would never let me go.You never realize how bad you see until you start recovering the lesson.A advice for everyone is going to an annual view of the view, and do not allow complications to reach them.All the best

2piuviato1frts's profile photo
2piuviato1frts
12/31/2020 1:37 p.m.

K5288pn25.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.