Wearables - Diabetes technologies you can carry

hijodetroya's profile photo   02/16/2016 3:45 p.m.

Hello everyone.

I just got this complete and interesting forum where I find a majority of height opinions.

I have searched for information about wearables (wearable technology) to help with diabetes.Someone gives me "north."

All the best.

hijodetroya's profile photo
hijodetroya
02/16/2016 3:45 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Welcome to the @hijodetroya forum asks what you need and share what you know !!;)

About the Wereables, I put here an article from our blog friend of the Jediazucarado, I think it is super complete!

of wearables in diabetes and purchasing capacity

In Wearable We Trust ...

In recent times, we are all listening to the wearables* will be omnipresent.And in fact, we already attended a beginning of the boom of these devices.Smart watches that communicate with the smartphone ... bracelets that record our activity ... sensors integrated into a ring that warn us of mobile phone calls ... In short, wearables are those objects that we can all do without, but with a high characterdistinctive at the social level.Probably for that, almost all of them "grind" to a greater or lesser extent.And health is a perfect terrain for this type of devices.Biometric monitoring is one of the functions of these devices, and for example we see heart rhythm monitors incorporated into some of these wearables with "health" purpose as it is called now.For someone with diabetes, listening to these things makes an inevitable and immediate question arise: and why not measure glucose with these devices?Obviously, it is one of the most interesting variables for many people (at least, for about 13% of the population that has diabetes) and several companies have already studied or are in it.Some announced him creating a lot of expectation for being who he was -he was Apple when he prepared his Apple Health Kit, something I talked about in another entry -but finally remained nothing, at least for the moment.

What is a wearable?The most literal translation would be that of plants, usable, that we can get to dress or are incorporated into clothes or accessories.Wearables are a new term that refers to all the technological devices that we can carry (except for the smartphone) such as smart watches, activity bracelets, rings linked to the smartphone, garments with sensors ... In short, technology applied to our bodyFor different uses, among which it usually highlights everything related to biometric (measurable physical variables; pulsations, saturation, sleep and activity cycles, sweating ...).With these wearables, leisure, health, work or communication tools have been developed in parallel.

Does the wearable bubble get rid of even swelling?

A recent study on the wearables conducted by Juniper Research (external link) says that today, only one in five would be willing to pay more than $ 175 for a wearable device.That seems the economic limit that marks the separation between the assumable and the capricious purchase that is not worth it.Because in general, it seems that consumers have associated the concept of wearable as some whim, "mold" and fun, but that it is not really very useful.And therefore, something that does not have to pay too much money.This can be checked with the high sales of devices of this type of affordable price.And this even though we continue to see the most expensive brands as objects of desire ... but without buying them.That we all like a Aston Martin does not mean that the British brand will be lined selling luxurious cars.In short, people at the moment seem to be clear that a wearable is not something for which it is worth paying a lotStable and valued, in conjunction with control apps and physical activity management.But what would happen if we asked people with diabetes about a wearable thought for thediabetes?And what would that wearable be like?

The Wearable Diabetes

Currently, a wearable is usually reduced to being an extension of another device (such as smartwatch) or a biometric measurement or registration device (such as bracelets).But in diabetes, we could technically consider a glucose meter.Perhaps not as the traditional capillary measurement, but for example a meter that automatically and transparently collect the measurements, be it an extension of the smartphone (as was the IBG-Star of Sanofi), an interstitial meter ... or even aInsulin pump.Or also new devices or routes of insulin administration.Any of these devices is technically "wearable" in the strict sense of the term, although especially adjusted to the term in the case of continuous meters and insulin pumps.I already talked about what variables they would be interesting for a wearable in diabetes, but now most people - according to the Juniper Research survey commented above - believes that wearables are a funny and fun fashionThe one that would not pay a lot of money, anyone with diabetes would probably not think the same if we asked for ideas or proposals of diabetes related.What device or technological improvement related to diabetes value more than in recent years?Faced with that question, they are likely to answer mostly that new insulin bombs or continuous measurement are large areas of interest to them.Especially the continuous glucose measurement, of more universal application than ISCI therapy.If there is something that almost all people with diabetes would choose today, it is a continuous glucose meter.And deep down, a continuous glucose meter is a full -fledged wearable ...

Watches, the best wearable example for diabetes

What price put a "diabetic wearable"?

It is evident that if we consider the continuous glucose measurement as wearable, it is not governed by the commercial criteria of the rest of the market.Is the development of a health device more complex and expensive than that of a fitness bracelet?Definitely.But as usually happens with other very specialized consumer products, the minority is paid.But how much?What price put a wearable as a continuous meter?This question will have been done surely again and again and again in the central offices of Dexcom Inc. in San Diego and later in those of Abbott, in Chicago, both Americans.How much is willing to pay a customer-patient for a continuous measurement system?What is the limit?The different circumstances of both companies and their separate product launch moments make the discussion of this aspect very different in each case.In Dexcom, the launch of its first MCG occurred only 7 years after creation as a company, and its costs and infrastructure hindered or unable commercial possibilities.With a high production cost and a small production, the sale price to the public with which Dexcom Seven was simply unassumable for most humans.Although after all, it usually happens in other areas with the novelties.But the years have passed, several generations of product and a continuous increase in sales, and the Dexcom G5 continues with an acquisition cost too high for the vast majority of mortals.And an even higher maintenance cost, despite the fact that the business structure of the American company - which even quotes in the stock market - is far from what it was in its beginnings in 1999. Without fear of being wrong, it can be concluded that theDexcom is an unassumable system for the vast majority of people, although they arequite evolved and its latest model (the G5) is indisputably a good system and currently the most accurate.

As for Abbott, many years after the birth of the first MCG of Dexcom, the company launches free freestyle, a revolutionary apparatus for different reasons.For its commercial cataloging, which allows you to announce even on television (and does so with a advertising strategy at Claim level).For its approach (without calibration, official duration greater than Dexcom ...), and above all, everything, all, for its commercial price strategy.The free is launched with an initial acquisition price of almost ten times less than the Dexcom G4 (5 times less if both starting packs offer them with the same number of sensors).The initial difference is abysmal.That small initial investment has been key in the success of the free.Try an ounce of chocolate to a child and then try to remove the tablet.Despite its cons (already explained by me in this blog several times), the system works and meets.Together, as much as the Dexcom.But today, if we can consider continuous measurement devices as a wearable, the king is free.

How much would you pay?

But in these devices it happens as with printers: the business is in consumables.Month by month, the user must buy sensors to continue enjoying the wonder of continuous glucose measurement.And that has a price too high, both in the case of free and in Dexcom (superior in the latter, between the cost of sensors and transmitter).Is sales what indicate that the price of free is the one that the user is willing to pay?In this case, I'm afraid no.At the moment, free is living its boom and is taking advantage of it, but € 120 month after month is not something that many people can afford.In a few cases, being a current free user may not be bearable over time and many end up leaving it, probably very much.What would then be the price that a person with diabetes puts at your preferred wearable device?How much are we willing to spend?It seems - judging by the comments I receive and that I read - that today people are putting candles to all saints and gods so that public health comes to finance as soon as possible the continuous glucose measurement.Even private individuals begin more voluntary firms campaigns than meditated on the Change platform to implore our rulers to study and give way to this new technology.Because simply, people want caramel, but you can't buy it.I am not an economist, but I have always thought that certain things would perhaps sell much more with a lower PVP;especially maintenance.It is always easier to gather money for an initial disbursement that occurs only once.But where is the problem is in the maintenance of these systems and their monthly costs.

Are these companies interested in lowering or adjusting prices or on the contrary, prefer to continue with them and wait for a probable and desired financing of continuous glucose measurement in our SNS?And you, are you also waiting for that landing in public health?And in case this type of devices would not be financed. How much would you be willing to pay for them?What is the price you would consider adequate to support the maintenance of these systems?What other diabetes wearable would you want to have?Give me your opinion with a comment.And if you liked this entry, share it with the buttons you have here under.

Here the original article: Link And for more information you can ask @hansolo to expand it to us!;)

fer's profile photo
fer
02/16/2016 5:31 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Thanks to Fer.
I see you are on many fronts.
All the best.

hijodetroya's profile photo
hijodetroya
02/16/2016 6:40 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@ijodetroya take a look at this issue, I think you will like it!;)

Link

fer's profile photo
fer
02/17/2016 9:38 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.