Severe hypoglycemia for Lantus?

ranty's profile photo   07/28/2015 11:21 p.m.

Good evening ... dm1 ... Two dayssimilar ... Cene at 21:09 ... grilled vegetables .. 150 gr of grilled hake ... 3 roasted ... and a skimmed yogurt sweetened ... I put on the bolus that IPedia (Acu-Chek Aviva Expert) arrived to dinner with 146 and after dinner at 23:46 I stayed with 214 ... until that moment all normal ... I put on a fast unit (Apidra) as a correctorand 27 of Lantus ... the measure that I usually take every night ... enter a free fall 0:28 41 .... very hard and on home only to curl the curl ... take a glass of waterWith sugar (loading) and left glucagen by hand in case the descent still did not send since I had dropped so much in such a short time ... I prepared a glass of milk with cookies as a support and I managed to trace 0:37 43 0:4257 and 1:01 122 .... It was 20 very intense minutes ... the aggravating one to be alone at home I think I helped me little ... since it made me get more nervous ... The next day was a chaos... figures of 250 ... 300 ... throughout the day ... although today (2 days later) I have managed to recover normality ... that yes ... I am still thinking about why it happened ...Use glucagen .... Another doubt is ... the loss of awareDisease ... greetings, Agur.

ranty's profile photo
ranty
07/28/2015 11:21 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

The same thing happened to my daughter once, a hicc of 20, after dinner and puttingus ..., hard to trace .., although there was no rebound ..., I do not find more expkicecion that has entered directly into veinor in a capillary ..., that's why it is better to use 5 mm needles ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
07/28/2015 11:29 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

The truth that I had not had that possibility ... I use 8mm needles ... thanks for your regina response.

ranty's profile photo
ranty
07/28/2015 11:42 p.m.

Surely was that I have entered vein, yes, it happened to me twice.And you use 5 and 6 mm needles ... it is a lottery.

Laire's profile photo
Laire
07/28/2015 11:53 p.m.

22 años. Tipo 1, debut 06/2014.
22 u. Lantus por las mañanas + Apidra

I flip with how you get scared and complicate life with the descents.

Glucagon is exclusively to be injected with another if you are unconscious (no matter what the meter says).If not, it is much faster and more efficient to take a sugary drink (if you are clear conscious), the injected glucagon usually takes 15 minutes to reach the blood and act.A sugary liquid takes less than 1 minute to start doing it.Also if you are trembling and dizzy to prepare and prick the glucagon that is preferable to picharlo in a large muscle ... terrible.

What I recommend to all diabetics is to have industrial sugary drinks, there they indicate exactly the amount of sugar they carry and every time you get off you take the same amount of drink.Or according to, if you get little or a lot you drink half or the whole can.

To take sugar alone or water with a lot of sugar is disgusting and causes the rejection of the stomach, industrial drinks carry compounds to avoid that.

Since I have Coca Cola, Fanta, milkshakes always prepared in the fridge stop having bouncing effect after the hypos.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
07/29/2015 1:12 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Yes, better sugary drinks .. I, that time was the only one that passed them canuts to overcome it .., juice with tablespoons .., pfff, I don't want to remember ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
07/29/2015 2:39 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

The lantus cannot cause you hypoglycemia in that way.What happened to you may simply be due to a delayed effect of the rapid action, so it raised you first before going down.If for some reason you click on a widely used area (for example) absorption can be very slowed down.And act when you no longer expect you to act.
As for Lantus, I know of people who have been double dose and have not had any especially serious problems the next day.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
07/29/2015 9:50 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

It costs me a lot to overcome the descents.I can throw myself 1 hour at descent of 25-30 and no matter how much juicesWhat a glucagon shot because there comes a time that I can't take more liquids because I return.

Gala's profile photo
Gala
07/29/2015 2:26 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

Gala have you tried glucose gels?They go back faster even than cocacola or juices.

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
07/29/2015 2:42 p.m.

Yes, I have tried and m happens the only thing that I do not get on.
It takes a long time to metabolize the food, I usually punctuate my insulin after eating and even a while later, as I see how (Dexcom) because if it does not give me a drop sitting on the table.

Gala's profile photo
Gala
07/29/2015 3:18 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

Something very similar is happening to me (I opened a thread recently) and they have diagnosed me with gastroparesia (slow gastric emptying). I do not put insulin when I see that I see me going up and the hypos are hard to trace because it takes a long timeIn absorbing, and if I saturo for liquid I ended up vomiting it.
I have been a bomb for two years but when I used Lantus, it was very sensitive to notice its beginning and even a small peak of action no matter how basal it is (the peak is dependent dose), but I believe Ranty that the entire action had not yet done your actionfast and it was when putting another unit that favored the descent.Let's see when the "intelligent insulins" that do not produce hypos ... (without talking about clear healing ...)

beti's profile photo
beti
07/29/2015 6:47 p.m.

The first thing thank you all for your contribution ... I think that the two hypotheses that are raised are perfectly feasible ... A late action of the fast or to enter vein ... Of course both leave me quieter ...After this episode I have begun to divide the dose of Lantus into two shots and the truth is that the change has been positive ... I even notice more glucose stability during the day ... I will continue testing ... and of course always learning...

@Sherpa41 It is true that perhaps that reaction may seem exaggerated ... but being that low and unexpected low broke my schemes ... it was not a hypo (normal) or typical for me ... I did not know if I would go easy toOr it would continue to go down ... Of course, the most correct thing will be for someone to supply you glucagen in case of knowledge loss ... but being only as it was my case ... if I came to see a figure of 20 I would not hesitateIn putting it on ... if I couldn't have had real problems ...
Hansolo without a doubt that it can be ... although I try to take care of the punctures with rotations the years of evolution leave their mark ... and surely that late reaction is together with the correction as Beti says.
Gala ... Many dosses since it has to be very hard to live that situation .. 1 hour drops of 25-30 ... I hope you get a solution and you can be at least calmer.
Eternally grateful to all ... greetings.

ranty's profile photo
ranty
07/29/2015 10:34 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.