Paraguay: more amputations because of diabetes

fer's profile photo   07/30/2015 3:30 p.m.

The majority of patients who have reached the mutilation of a member knew about their illness and did not take the necessary collections, he lamented.

He requested the awareness of diabetic patients, to take primary prevention measures, such as attending the consultations to prevent the evolution of the infection of the foot.

"90% of the patients who resort to consultations in the diabetic standing unit are secondary prevention or are those that were amputated or had some debridement or dissection procedure of the member," he said.

For his part, Dr. Javier Escobar, coordinator of the Emergency Department, indicated that outside the traumatic amputations due to traffic accidents, the other cause of a large number of amputations especially of the lower limbs is diabetes.

He explained that the diabetic must do a good regular monitoring of the metabolic part, which refers to sugar control because all complications occur because of bad glycemia control."When sugar remains high in the blood begins to alter the circulation and especially in the limbs and among these lower members," said the professional.

He recalled that the diabetic has a gradual loss of sensitivity as a result of the disease.He explained that the complications occur after a long period of condition and when the patient is over 40 years old.

fer's profile photo
fer
07/30/2015 3:30 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

This issue is the worst, perhaps because since I always debuted someone has someone, who knows someone who has amputated.To all those who know a lot what should we do so that this does not happen?What do you mean by keeping controlled?How much is high for them?With a glycosylated between 6 and 7 would this happen to us?It really makes me dread: (((

pochola's profile photo
pochola
07/30/2015 4:13 p.m.

DM1 desde 2011 8 puntos Lantus. Todo esfuerzo traerá su recompensa ♥ Hemo 5.7

@pochola of amputations occurs when there is diabetic neuropathy and the sensation is lost in the limbs.In this way, you may be wounded in your feet and do not notice until they are very advanced and end up in ulcers or even necrose.
When you go to the ambulatory there are always triptychs about how diabetics we must inspect our feet often, not cut our nails so that they are stuck and even wear special footwear.But I believe that the most important thing is to have a good hemoglobin (below 7 or to be able to be 6.5).This greatly reduces the possibilities of developing neuropathy in the future.
Conclusion: Do not worry about amputations or think about your neighbor's aunt's grandfather.Focus on maintaining the good control you carry and everything will do well.

Inday's profile photo
Inday
07/31/2015 4:54 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Thanks @inday I will continue to strive as until now.This week I'm going to make a hem to see how I'm going;)

pochola's profile photo
pochola
07/31/2015 4:57 p.m.

DM1 desde 2011 8 puntos Lantus. Todo esfuerzo traerá su recompensa ♥ Hemo 5.7

Well more than for neuropathy it is due to the poor circulation of the lower limbs.With bad control, the small vessels of the feet, over time they are closed (everyone with age but in more diabetics and if they are poorly controlled more), the circulation becomes very poor and in case of woundsIt is much easier to infect since the circulation does not clean that area and the antibiotics are not a solution for the same reason, they do not reach that area because the blood does not arrive and with it the antibiotics, oxygen ...
That is why you have to maintain good glucose levels and monitor our feet a lot avoiding chafing, cuts, wounds ...

Gala's profile photo
Gala
07/31/2015 5:12 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.