{'en': 'Back to sport after holidays', 'es': 'De vuelta al deporte tras las vacaciones'} Image

Back to sport after holidays

fer's profile photo   09/02/2015 8:30 a.m.

We all begin a post -aging training program for a reason, whether to lose weight, increase a few centimeters of muscle, recover from an injury or surgery, eliminate stress, improve health, etc.

But for a person with diabetes this last goal must always be present.Given health problems we always go to a medical professional to advise us and say what we have to do, and after summer it is necessary to take the reins of our health.The same should happen when we start in physical activity, the professional of this field, the Bachelor of Sciences of Physical and Sports Activity, is the one who must design a program appropriate to personal characteristics.

Author: Luis Miguel Pérez Navarro, Ldo.In Sciences of Physical and Sports Activity, with a specialty in Health Sports (Collegiate No. 54.122) www.entrenaconluismi.com or Link

Before developing a post-fecational training program, a brief physical aptitude or a PAR-Q questionnaire that collects medical, sports and injury history should be passed to the patient;Relevance data to take into account when carrying out the programming and direct the sessions.A brief report from the header doctor in which he indicates the control of the patient's disease is also recommended.Since if the patient presents any complication associated with diabetes, which we must always take into account and that I will indicate in another post.

During the postvacational training sessions the patient must have control of his blood glucose and some considerations indicated in the following link.

cardiovascular postvacational training with diabetes

For all, the large number of benefits produced by resistance training and the reduction of the risk factors it produce is known and increasingBenefits of strength training.

When carrying out a postvacational training plan we must take into account the following components to include in the prescription of physical exercise for the improvement of cardiorespiratory resistance, these are:

Type (or types) of exercise.
Duration.
Rhythm of progression.
Aerobic activities of a more or less intense nature that imply the participation of large muscle groups for prolonged periods such as walking, running, swimming, cycling, background skiing, skating, dance, mountaineering, etc. are considered suitable.

Postvacational training intensity with diabetes

In order to achieve improvements in the volume of maximum oxygen (VO2Máx. It is the capacity that the body has to capture the oxygen of the environment and use it in its favor) you need to perform exercises with a minimum of 55-65% of the maximum heart rate (FCMáx.), Which is theoretically calculated by subtracting 220 minus age.

If the complications of diabetes allow it, it is recommended that the exercise be prescribed with an intensity that corresponds to 55-79% of the FCMáx, or to 40-74% of the FC of reserve.

To assess the intensity, different methods such as the FCMáx can be used., The reserve FC according to the Karvonen Fc = (fcmax-fcBasal) x % work + FCBASAL.Also the max.or the perception scale of Borg's effort (EPE).

To calculate the percentage according to the Karvonen equation it is necessary to have the following variables, here I give an example:

FCMáx: 200 (220 - Age)

FCBASAL: 60 (those who are sitting calm)

% work to be done: 74%

Fc = (fcmáx - fcbasal x %) + fcBassal == & gt;

FC = (200 - 60) x 0.74 + 60 = 163.6 ppm.

I would beIdeanly perform a maximum effort test to those patients who have complications derived from diabetes or not.This test greatly facilitates the calculation of intensity in addition to providing data on the initial level from which any heart problem is split and discarded.

Postvacational training duration with diabetes

The ACSM (acronym in English of the American College of Sports Medicine) indicates that for programs of 3 to 5 weekly sessions with light or moderate intensity sessions of 20 to 60 minutes of exercise of cardiorespiratory resistance are advised.The exercise can be fractionated in several sessions on the same day, for each of these sessions it must last above 10 minutes.

Postvacational training with diabetes

From 2 weekly training sessions there are improvements at the level of the cardiorespiratory system (cardiac and pulmonary) and it has been proven that the benefits do not increase if more than 5 weekly sessions are carried out.

Muscle work produces beneficial effects on glycemic control, which is maintained from 12 to 72 hours after its realization that will depend on the intensity and duration of the exercise.To make the most of these benefits, it is advisable to carry out a minimum of 3 days a week, up to 5 days a week.

In patients with weight or obesity, and with the aim of increasing caloric expenditure, it is preferable to program 6 to 7 weekly sessions.In addition, in the first weeks, if exercise is carried out that causes the displacement of body weight (running, team sports or high -impact activities), it is advisable to perform the exercise on alternate days or alternate it with one that does not involve loading with theown weight (swimming, bicycle or low impact activities).

References:

American College of Sports Medicine & AMP;American Diabetes Association.Exercise and Diabetes Mellitus, Medicine & AMP;Science in Sports & AMP;Exercise, volume 29, number 12. 1998.

López Chicharo, José, Luis Miguel López Mojares.Clinical physiology of the exercise.Madrid, Panamericana, 2008

Silveira Ap, Bentes CM, Costa PB, Simão R, Silva FC, Silva RP, Novaes JS.Res Sports Med.2014 Jan-Mar;22 (1): 75-87.DOI: 10.1080/15438627.2013.852096.

Spanish Society of Diabetes, Diabetes and Exercise, Ed. May, Barcelona, ​​2006.

fer's profile photo
fer
09/02/2015 8:30 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Great contribution as always Fer.

To find out the intensity in which we move it will always be better to apply the Karvonen formula because taking into account only age is like saying that a 24 -year -old kid who calls a taxi is much better to go from his home to the next stopof bus, that a 60 -year -old who runs 7 km every two days.

To know the resting frequency it is convenient to take several days a week as soon as he woke up and lying on the bed and then remove the average.As for the maximum frequency, the ideal would be an effort test

ATO

(kindness of the Hon

Link

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/02/2015 6:45 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I put the attachment that I have not noticed and it has not been uploaded for giving me an error type of file not supported

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/02/2015 6:48 p.m.

Hello fer!Very good post and very complete.A few months ago I started a blog in which I share my experiences as a diabetic in the practice of sport, contributing my technical knowledge and a comparison between the type of exercise and the glycemics obtained.

Now we are training for the Diabetes de Madrid race of November 15 and we want to share with you all our training plan and advice for people with type I diabetes. I encourage you to visit our blog and share your knowledge and opinions.

www.lemurdiabetico.wordpress.com

lemurdiabético's profile photo
lemurdiabético
10/04/2015 9:53 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.