{'en': 'Patrick Peterson athlete with diabetes prepares the season', 'es': 'Patrick Peterson deportista con diabetes prepara la temporada'} Image

Patrick Peterson athlete with diabetes prepares the season

fer's profile photo   06/27/2015 11:19 a.m.

Patrick Peterson will return to the training of the Arizona Cardinals next month, after being diagnosed with diabetes last season, Ed Werder de ESPN told Thursday.

Peterson, 24, said he was diagnosed around week 7 of 2014, when Arizona visited Oakland on October 19.

Discovering what had affected his performance was a relief for Peterson.He was also "frightening" because diabetes is present in his family.Peterson said his grandparents, aunts and aunts grandmothers have diabetes.He thought it was a disease that only major generations suffered.

Through talks with his relatives, Peterson learned that diabetes can put his life at risk if he does not treat it carefully.

"Definitely, talking to them made me understand," he said.

On the period in which he did not know what his performance was affecting (before being diagnosed), Peterson says it was "very difficult" and that could be seen in the field.

"I realize. [...] I am a world -class athlete and I can't understand what happens to my body," he said.

More than eight months after his diagnosis, Peterson said "everything is going well."

It will undergo a review in the next couple of months for the training camp.

"I definitely want to improve," said Peterson."I think that, in terms of health, it was where I needed. I think that now that I am 100 percent, I feel that it will be an explosive year for me, simply return and play at the level that I know I am capable."

fer's profile photo
fer
06/27/2015 11:19 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.