{'en': "Josu Feijoo: Believe in oneself, that's the question", 'es': 'Josu Feijoo: Creer en uno mismo, esa es la cuestión'} Image

Josu Feijoo: Believe in oneself, that's the question

fer's profile photo   10/19/2015 11:19 a.m.

Dose of optimism and desire to eat the world.Face challenges that break with everyday life and make an adventure every day.This is the medical prescription that the Basque astronaut and mountaineer Josu Feijoo Gayoso shared yesterday with the participants in the IX National Congress of Pharmaceutical Care.

Engineer from the University of Ohio in the United States and an expert in communication, motivation and leadership, for this diabetic its chronic disease has not meant any type of barrier or brake, but quite the opposite, its illness has been the engine that has led him toCare challenges surpassed with note, the key?Believe in oneself.

"If you believe in you, for many struts that you put your life you can always get up," he commented after several clicks to break the fourth wall and count in the first person as a chronic disease, diabetes, broke into his life with just 24years.«I was in the best, I had arrived from the United States to do engineering, I make some oppositions, I win a pasta and in the medical examination of the company they tell me that I am diabetic.Nothing to drink, nothing to smoke, nothing ... at all, to me, that I had never done an analysis ».

The advanced development of the disease made him debut directly with insulin, no pills and deterrent treatments.«I wanted to be an astronaut How was I going to prick insulin without gravity?I wanted to be a mountaineer How was I going to prick insulin at extreme temperatures below zero?

Josu found a solution to all these problems.With optimism and overcoming ability, it turned the problems into challenges."Looking, today, with 48 years, if I tell you the truth, I continue with Peter Pan syndrome and that is that diabetes is not an excuse, excuses do not exist," he said she was wrapped in NASA's orange monkey.Josu has spent long days of recognition, analysis and tests "very hard" to fulfill one of his dreams, or rather, one of his challenges: travel to space.

He got it in 2011 from the Mojave desert space (California) desert base.But first, as he remembered yesterday between joke and joke, he had to "suffer" in the training centers of Philadelphia (Pennsylvania) and Cabo Cañaveral (Florida), as well as in the Russian federal space agency.

«The worst is the centrifugator, you are two and a quarter spinning and supporting forces 6.4 times higher than that of gravity.Notes how your chest is hit in the column, but nothing, I left so fresh from that, ”he joked with the public, pharmacists, who were speechless when he knows this testimony of overcoming and effort.

But Josu has not only been the first diabetic astronaut who with his space trip contributed to a scientific study to see how insulin acts in microgravity, but has crowned the seven peaks and has reached the two poles, thus completing the Gland Slam of sitesof Earth's interest.

And it is that with willpower "any Everest that you propose you will get it."

From his experience as a mountaineer, Josu remembered the climb to Mount Everest on the north face.«It is not that the south is easy, that it is not, but the north is the most complicated, and I am a man of challenges and not to say 'look, the first diabetic to climb Everest, yes, but by theface facilitates, 'I said, with two ... by the north ».

With grace, but seriously.Everest has paid the lives of mountaineers, even experienced.«Many times I have had to take pictures of the body so that the widow can collect the insurance or call the deceased's house to ask," what do we do with the body?Do we send it to you or leave it in a crack? 'Although it sounds hard, Josu said yesterday that he has lived these situations, that without a doubt, and although he is considered a cold person, they have marked his life project.

Achieve the Gland Slam of Earth's Interest Sites beingDiabetic was his challenge, achieved, and now shared.Josu Feijoo Gayoso, a whole coach so that nothing in the gathering life and illusions, because "the one who relaxes the market, remember, Everest rises with the head and you always have to learn from the best."

fer's profile photo
fer
10/19/2015 11:19 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.