Lantus and hyperglycemia before breakfast (fasting hyperglycemia)

Familia_jones's profile photo   04/15/2016 6:02 p.m.

Hello, my name is Jacqueline my sister (Jennifer) has type 1 diabetes since 2012, until a week ago I came super controlled to the point that never reached 200 mg/dl.But something happened and for a week that in the morning has been high, she injected 25 units of Lantus in the morning before going to school (always respecting the same time) + fast action insulin according to the carbohydrates that go toConsume at each meal (carbohydrate counting so that food is more varied and has greater freedom of choice).

We increase the doses of Lantus (as the endocrinologist told us) but continues to wake up with values ​​ranging from 150 to 220 mg/dl.Despite being eating the usual, to have recalculated the insulin carbohydrate ratio and sensitivity based on the new doses, etc.

First we attribute it to a viral picture, but the doctors told us that it was nothing like that;Then we believed that it could be stress since she is preparing to perform ends of English and to go to university next year;But as the measurements of the rest of the day (both pre and postprandial) give perfect, totally disoriented us ...

We do not manage to understand the "because" of the climbs in the morning, but considering that last week was the best!

What do you think can be?Does anyone happen the same?

I await your answers, at least to get closer to understand a little more what can be happening .... Of course, thank you very much !!

Familia_jones's profile photo
Familia_jones
04/15/2016 6:02 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

He will not cover him 24 hours.Inform you of the Toujeo, who covers them.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
04/15/2016 6:35 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Hello, it is the first time I enter and I am a bit quite worried.It turns out that I have an 11 -year -old son with diabetes, who was more or less controlled until he began to raise the glucose in the early morning and at dawn above 200. It is putting the lantus at 14:30.Now its endocrine advised me to change it at night and that it also lowers the amount of slow and upload the rapids because the percentage must be 40% of slow and 60% fast.Total that has been with the change for 3 days and is fatal.It reaches the snack with more than 300 !!!!. My question is whether that percentage must be fulfilled safe or not ??And now I put what they were getting to see what they think.Please if someone is in a case similar to mine and advises me .... It is fast 4-5-3-4 and slow 22. He is almost 12 years old and weighs 44kg.Thank you.

VictoriaZJ's profile photo
VictoriaZJ
04/17/2016 1:30 a.m.

@Familia_jones Hello !!!I explain to me they told me that I have the phenomenon of Alba.That is, I get sugar if or if from 3 in the morning.Now I have insulin pump and then I climb basal from 3 to 9.I realized by Abbot's patch we go the sensor.Antrs of the bomb changed me to Levemir Q was every 12h and I controlled me well that would be a solution or since the pump was put on.All the best!

mariamarquez's profile photo
mariamarquez
04/17/2016 9:45 a.m.

@Victoriazj, there are no fixed percentages for anyone, they are only orientations if I was better with the pattern before, maybe it was fixed by increasing one or two Lantus units.
Find out about the new slow insulins, Toujeo or Tresiba, which have more duration.The Lantus does not cover well 24 hours a day.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
04/17/2016 1:27 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

@Familia_jones good afternoon, the first thing I must say that the last word is health professionals, but I can tell you a couple of their own anecdotes in case they serve you something.
When I was diagnosed with the happy disease, they put me some fast and slow insulin guidelines.I think it was 1 breakfast 4 food and 2 dinner along with 8 units of Lantus in the morning, the day was more or less well except in the mornings than in your case, dawned with stratospheric values.
They changed my lantus at night and dawned great !!!!As they informed me even if it is a basal insulin of 24HR, it does not cover all day from 19-21 hours it plummeted and stops taking effect.
Now I have the problem that when I wake up I can have 50 or 200.
They put me an MCG (continuous glucose meter) because I will go with a pump shortly and we realized that when I had a pre-cocinated food, my body remained at the glucose levels, however, when the descent was having a light, the descent was having impressive.
Propose to the endocrine the basal insulin change to be able to administer 2 times a day or the change of time of Lantus A at night.

Many spirits and always.

Chimo's profile photo
Chimo
04/17/2016 9:37 p.m.

Diabetes tipo 1. HG 7,3. Abril de 2016 Bomba Minimed 640G

Good to all,
Well, I have more or less the same problem (which I already told here again).Throughout the day I am more or less good, but the nights are ..... I lie down how I go to bed (in ranges of 80-120) I wake up in 180-200, and that I do sports in the afternoon and that helps meTo regulate (but as I have already mentioned I have the feeling that the effect of insulin is paralyzed in my body at night)
I wear the slow one at dinner 21:00 (14 units; I have changed three days ago to Toujeo and I remain the same), Ceno, the blood glucose hardly climb the dinner, and it is to get into bed and up.
It is not alba effect, because it is not at dawn, it is not rebound, because they do not give me hypos (with the dexcom) I no longer know what it can be, it has me crazy.My glyc is not bad at all 6.7 although I think that if I managed to lower those hours of being high, it would improve more.

All the best

nacho's profile photo
nacho
04/21/2016 2:23 p.m.

The slow unit goes up

Regina's profile photo
Regina
04/21/2016 3:49 p.m.

Until you wake up well

Regina's profile photo
Regina
04/21/2016 3:49 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.