{'en': 'Jorge Garteiz-Gageascoa: "The greatest handicap of the diabetic athlete is the one he wants to wear"', 'es': 'Jorge Garteiz-Gogeascoa: «El mayor hándicap del deportista diabético es el que él quiera ponerse»'} Image

Jorge Garteiz-Gageascoa: "The greatest handicap of the diabetic athlete is the one he wants to wear"

fer's profile photo   07/20/2015 10:45 a.m.

We interview this popular Biscayan athlete with diabetes, whose history has served as motivation and example to follow for many other athletes with the same disease, and without it.Jorge's goal was to be at the exit of Laredo's triathlon, and ... Objective fulfilled.

Let me take the license to speak in the first person, but, on this occasion, I have a weight of weight.And there are interviews that leave that patient of satisfaction, and that infect you a positivism that you did not have, or at least you had it lethargen.This has happened to Jorge Garteiz-Gageascoa Castellanos, a popular athlete with diabetes that he himself defines as "a type of the pile and with diabetes that has marked a goal."

And that goal was to be on the exit of the Villa de Laredo 2015 Olympic Triathlon, played on June 20.Jorge not only reached the goal of leaving in Laredo, but was also capable, although disqualified in time, to cross the finish line.

The story of Jorge Gartiez-Gageascoa is a life lesson that marks, that motivates and inspires.In fact, as of the same day of the interview, for me, the gesture of putting on the running shoes and going to jog down the asphalt has already become something instinctive, and that I am no longer difficult for me to put it into practice.I also join Jorge's philosophy of life: the goal is to leave.

Jorge Garteiz-Gageascoa: "The greatest handicap of the diabetic athlete is the one he wants to wear"

Let's run.Your philosophy to follow has a clear message: "Diabetes will change your life but does not have to change your way of living it" Should we tear down a lot of myth when linking sport diabetes?

Jorge Garteiz.More than myths, what must be demolished are fears.The fact of having a disease and being new in it, of not knowing how your body will react to physical exercise, of having to modify the doses of insulin depending on when, how much and what sport you are going to do, to know that youYou can give a sugar downturn in full training, to have to control what you eat after the exercise to avoid low or climb ... can help you stay on the couch, instead of getting up and going out to do sports.Something that comes well and, especially diabetics, because it helps us regulate our sugar level.

Let's run.What is the greatest handicap that a diabetic athlete has?

Jorge Garteiz.The one you want to put on.There are people with diabetes that are a real machine and that competes more and better than a lot of people without diabetes.People who do Ironman, who cross deserts or who are able to walk 24 hours in a bike.It is true that people with diabetes have more things to think about during the race: how I go from sugar, like this or that, now or later ... and we also have a very important parameter rather than measure: the blood sugar level, which implies that you have to stop to get blood with a little click every so often.But, as demonstrated, diabetes should not be a barrier to do sports or compete.

Let's run.How and why do you consider the idea of ​​getting sports?

Jorge Garteiz.Shortly before I was diagnosed with the disease, the bug of running had already entered.When they diagnosed me, doctors told me to do sports was, together with food and insulin, a fundamental leg to control diabetes.So ... One of the first things I did was find a goal that forced me to train and do sports with constancy: the average of Bilbao Night Marathon.

Let's run.And why the challenge of facing an Olympic triathlon?

Jorge Garteiz.After completing that meanMarathon thought that, as I had to play sports several days per week, just running could become boring.That's why I decided to do three sports instead of one.And although I had never swam, and I was aware that my last bike exit had been with the BH California of the First Communion, I signed up for a Sprint triathlon.The goal was not the triathlon itself, but to have something that forces me to overcome laziness and be constant in training.I prepared a lot and managed to finish with some freshness two sprint triathlons: one in Tarragona and another in Getxo.

The experience was brutal: because it helped me play sports for many months and because it helped me to realize that diabetes is a condition that conditions much less than we sometimes think.Maybe that's why crossing the goal in those tests caused me a mixture of emotion, joy and gratitude for everything that I have, thus, it became one of the best sensations that I have had in my life.And I told myself "I have to tell diabetics."

In addition, as I commented before, I had found many people with diabetes who did not play sports for fear or ignorance.So I set out the goal of going out to do sports.To do this, I signed up for the Villa de Laredo Olympic triathlon.My goal was the same as that of other occasions: to have a goal that forced me to go out to do sports, and that goal was at the exit of the triathlon.In addition, I decided to tell how I prepared on the Internet on the blog Lametaessalir.com and social networks, with the Facebook page being Diabetic Spain, to try to help and encourage other diabetics to go out to do sports.Therefore, this project could not have another name other than the goal is to leave.

Let's run.In your narras videos that during the entire training plan have existed many moments of high, what has been the best time before facing the competition?

Jorge Garteiz.The greatest high has been to see that the goal is to leave has helped people.To me, without a doubt, the first.But there have also been many diabetics who have written to me to tell me that this story has motivated them, has encouraged them and has helped them start (or follow) with sport.It doesn't matter if much or little: a simple walk is much more than staying at home watching TV.In addition, during these months, I have had the immense luck of meeting people to take off your hat.And that, for me, is an unsurpassed prize.

Let's run.And, of course, there have also been bad experiences, although you also learn from all of them, what is the lesson that you get learned from your demanding preparation for the Laredo triathlon?

Jorge Garteiz.There have been hard times such as the training I did in the Gorliz Sprint, where I had a really bad time;Or those days when you do not feel like going out to train but you have to do it ... I don't know if it is the most important lesson I have learned during the preparation, but those moments have taught me that, in life, behind thingsMalays always hide something good.

Let's run.Day D arrives: Laredo triathlon.Before starting, what sensations did you have and how did you see in the race?

Jorge Garteiz.The feeling before the race was of happiness.It has been a very beautiful and very intense story and I was about to reach my goal: to be at the exit of the triathlon.Maybe that's why I didn't have the usual previous nerves, and I took the race as a party to celebrate that I had crossed my goal.
Focusing on the race, I knew it was going to be very hard, since Laredo's route is demanding.But as I said, it happened a little.My goal was to go out for months to do sports and help with itOther diabetics.And that was already done!

Let's run.Objective completed.Thanks to the organization of the Triathlon of Laredo, and although disqualified by not overcoming the cutting time of the cyclist segment, you had the opportunity to cross the finish line, what is the first thing you thought?

Jorge Garteiz.Indeed.I did not fulfill the cutting time and, when I arrived at the box after completing the swimming and the 38 km of bike, I was disqualified.In addition, I arrived very very fair from forces.But thinking about all the people who have encouraged and helped me believed that, although outside the race, I should try to complete the tour.The organization, understanding that clearly my goal was not competitive, not only allowed me to finish but helped me to do so: without them I would not have completed the tour.

When I went through the finish line I thought it had been very difficult to get it but that, if I had not tried, it would have been impossible.There I was more aware than ever than, to achieve what you pursue, the goal is to leave.

Let's run.After overcoming an Olympic triathlon, what will be your next sports goal?

Jorge Garteiz.My goal is to continue doing sports.I know myself, and I know that if I don't have a test in mind, laziness will be able to me.I am targeted to Skoda Triathlon Series of Getxo and there I hope to be.A month later I will take the exit in the Bilbao Night Marathon average.And when it ends, I am going to focus on preparing the Laredo triathlon next year: it is a test that I will never forget and in which, whenever I can, I will be.

Let's run.A tweet, without exceeding the 140 characters of rigor, to send an extra motivation message to all those diabetic athletes who continue to give their best in each training and competition

Jorge Garteiz.Reaching our dreams, challenges and objectives goes through trying.And nothing, not even diabetes, must stop.(Final computation: 113 characters, perfect tweet!)

Let's run ... And for the popular athlete in general?

Jorge Garteiz.Well ... exactly the same, but removing the word diabetes!

Source: www.vamosacorrer.com

fer's profile photo
fer
07/20/2015 10:45 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

An example for diabetics and non -diabetics.Added Lametaessalir in favorites

Thanks Fer

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
07/20/2015 7:54 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.