{'en': 'Change of habits, difficult to achieve in people with diabetes', 'es': 'Cambio de hábitos, difícil de lograr en personas con diabetes'} Image

Change of habits, difficult to achieve in people with diabetes

fer's profile photo   11/18/2015 11:14 a.m.

Guadalajara, Jalisco (Nov. 17/2015) .- When a person is diagnosed with diabetes, the acceptance process has several stages, and one of them is to adapt to comprehensive treatment.

Although, at first people respond well to take the medication that will regulate glucose, the most difficult thing is to convince him to change his eating habits, physical activity and life in general.

The head of the UMF 178 Social Work of the IMSS Jalisco, Silvia Vázquez Lomelí, said that it has been shown that who has good medical control and a support network, has better results in the change of habits and attachment to treatment.

In 2008, the IMSS implemented the Diabetimss pilot program, in the UMF 178, before the growing wave of diabetes patients.

"The diabetic patient needs four pillars in their control: the doctor, the modification of eating habits, physical activity and emotional control; as this is a challenge for the patient, diabetims are created as an accompaniment support throughout the process.A patient, taking the medicine is an easy part, but asking him to modify his habits that he has had throughout his life, is difficult. "

On November 14, World Diabetes Day was commemorated, a disease that in Jalisco affects 600 thousand people, but half of them still do not know, and of half of the people who know each other with diabetes, only a partIt has proper control of its levels.

The Diabetimsss has a family doctor, a nurse, a social worker and a nutritionist, who see the patient in a 12 sessions program, one per month, where patients are given in diabetes.

Currently, of the four thousand 600 patients treated with diabetes in that clinic, two thousand 800 has been supported with the program.

Don Juan saw in diabetes an opportunity to improve

Don Juan is 74 years old, is a man like any other, but with the value and willpower of few.

His desire to live and enjoy life in a healthy way are stronger than diabetes, with which he has lived for nine years.

The disease came without even imagining it.Nothing hurt, I had no problems;I only had overweight.

It was when he decided to go with a nutritionist from the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS), and before submitting him to a food plan, he asked for some analysis, which revealed that he had diabetes.

The Lord has dropped 15 kilograms and is currently in his ideal weight.He says he eats better, exercises every day and, rather than seeing it as something negative, his diagnosis of diabetes was a blessing.

"For me it is a blessing diabetes, because my life has changed completely, I lowered about 15 kilos, I ate healthier, and learned the management of emotions; the diet is difficult and the exercise too, I swim every day."

Juan is part of a mutual aid group in the Diabetimss program of the Family Medicine Unit (UMF) 178 of the IMSS Jalisco, where he has even given talks to newly diagnosed patients.

Source: The Informator / Thamara Villaseñor

fer's profile photo
fer
11/18/2015 11:14 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.