{'en': 'Glasses and lenses monitor diabetes and supply medication', 'es': 'Gafas y lentillas monitorizan la diabetes y suministran medicamento'} Image

Glasses and lenses monitor diabetes and supply medication

fer's profile photo   05/31/2016 1:28 p.m.

It is curious as some conditions continue to use treatments that are based on techniques that have been used for several decades, the best example is diabetes where those who suffer from it need to periodically monitor their glucose levels through punctures, an invasive and annoying technique forMost people, but today, except for some development projects, it remains the most efficient way.

Two years ago, a project between Novartis and Google was announced that consisted of a "intelligent" slow lent, which would be equipped with a glucose measurement and send the information via wireless to a smartphone.But now we find an interesting turn to Google's idea, since they have just presented a system of lenses and glasses that together would measure glucose, but would also be able to release small doses of medication if you need it.
Improving the quality of life of the diabetic patient

SAE KWAN HAHN, Professor of Materials and Engineering Science at the Pohang University of Science and Technology of Korea (Postech), has just presented the project at the World Biomaterial Congress, which has caught attention since he could not only helpTo diabetic patients, but it could also be adapted for other diseases and their treatment, such as glaucoma.

The system consists of a slow lenses with two layers of soft silicone hydrogel, the circuits are installed in the lens ring where we have an electrochemical glucose sensor, a microcontroller chip, a drug release system and an induction coil,which is responsible for providing energy for wireless communication.On the other hand, the glasses will be connected at all times to the lentilla, since they will be the carriers of the medication that would have capacity for a month of dose.

When the glucose levels increase, the chip will send a wireless signal to the glasses to release a dose of medication, in addition to the glasses will have a small LED that will turn on in case of glucose levels are very high andYou need user intervention.

Smart Lens

In the first demonstration of the system, the release of medication was not automatic, when the LED turned on, the user has to use voice commands to supply the drug, but it is expected that this can be done automatically, so that thePatient forgets for a moment of his treatment and tries to lead a normal life.

In the first tests a solution of artificial tears was placed to know the behavior of the system, and in the three people carrying a prototype for three weeks, no accidental falls of liquid occur, the dose was accurate and without any damage.Its creator is sure that there are companies interested in their development and that he could see the light during the following year, in addition to the fact that he could take up to a month of dose in the glasses, it could be used in a wide range of treatments.

fer's profile photo
fer
05/31/2016 1:28 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I think science fiction !!!I hope it's not just marketing.Thanks @Fer !!

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
06/01/2016 1:13 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

26 years ago, when debuting with diabetes, another diabetic (he was an older person) told me, in 10 years there will be healing for diabetes.In my debut I put insulin with syringe and, although progress has been made, healing has not arrived and everything goes slowly!So have long lost hope in this type of ad.

sllf's profile photo
sllf
06/01/2016 9:11 p.m.

Diabético tipo I desde 1990 y tengo 50 tacos. En Abril de 2017 con Minimed 640g y su MCG. Hoy estoy con Minimed 780G. Financiado MCG por la SS desde Junio-2018. Hipertensión arterial y ocular. Colesterol. Operado de 2 hernias discales cervicales (C5-C6 y C6-C7) pero con diagnóstico de "Operación fallida". La diabetes todo me lo perjudica....y nos arruina, la Seguridad Social debería financiar A TODOS!!!!! no cuando estás medio muerto como a mí!!!
Última HBA1C: 6,5% (después de muchos años en 9%)

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.