{'en': 'This is how you live with diabetes at age 12: this girl and her mother tells us', 'es': 'Así se vive con diabetes a los 12 años: esta niña y su madre nos cuenta'} Image

This is how you live with diabetes at age 12: this girl and her mother tells us

fer's profile photo   12/16/2015 9:26 a.m.

This is how you live with diabetes at age 12: this girl and her mother tells us.Daughter of Marcela Oyarzún and Álvaro Martínez, Julieta has two brothers: Simón (23) and Laura (9), whom he describes as his greatest companions.

It is in sixth basic at Saint George school, and today its biggest objective is to contribute with their experience so that other children in their condition never surrender to this fight."You can always get ahead," he says, and with his mother he delivers a revealing and sincere testimony of life.

Can you live with diabetes?
Marcela: There is a phrase that I always repeat, and when there is a diabetic in the family, the whole family is diabetic, and therefore the relationship between us is very close.Now, although Julieta has a pancreas that does not work, there are treatments and options that make it a fairly living disease.It is a enslave, but it allows you to lead a normal life.

Julieta: And the support network is too important, both the family and the friends who accompany you.For one to walk well, the network has to work at one thousand percent.

M: In addition, diabetes is a disease that has many times degrees of little understanding and enough lack of information.People believe it is as simple as stop eating sugar, but it is not.This is an organ that does not work and will never do it, unless the cure is.However, there are treatments to work.In the case of Juli, for many years, the doses of daily injections.

J: They were an average of one hundred and twenty monthly insulin injections, plus measurements, which are punctures in the fingers to see glycemia levels.

M: Yes, a month ago we put the insulin bomb, which is the latest in technology to treat diabetics.One of the greatest benefits, without a doubt, is no longer to click.

How does this device work?
M: It is connected to the body and has a reservoir, then, one loads with insulin this pump every three days and the program to function according to the needs and characteristics of the patient.

J: It is an intelligent system, it translates into quality of life and, for me, it is far the best that could happen to me.I sleep with the bomb, I walk with it all day and take it out only to enter the water or to compete.

M: Julieta is athlete, competes for her school and, in addition to athletics, she trains surfing and bodyboard.I really find that sport is a great ally of diabetes, and for Julieta it is part of the therapy and its lifestyle.If in the end the limits are set, because a well -treated and disciplined diabetic can make an absolutely normal life.

What are the toughest moments?
M: There are episodes that are not easy and Juliet has had serious decompensations, with clinic days and periods in which it is not good.However, we decided to go forward with the good, with the most or less and with the bad.Of course, we do not look at diabetes as a disease, but as a condition.
J: Our Declaration of Principles is that you can always get ahead, and that will and good mood are the best treatment.

And at the food level, is there a special regime?
M: You can eat everything, but measured.For example, if Julieta wants to take an ice cream, which is rich, tells how many carbohydrates that ice cream has and then sees the dose of insulin that has to be injected.Now she is responsible, but when I was accompanied by birthdays.

J: It was difficult, but I'm already used to it, and if you go to my house possibly in the pantry you find everything light.The important thing is that food is healthy, conscious, controlled and balanced.

M: As a family we opted for healthy and low sugar eating.Julieta debuted at four years with diabetes, and since then we decidedSupport and change food life at the family level.

How complex is to measure every thing that is ingested?
M: At first it seems like a matter of crazy, because being telling all the time is a enslave.However, later you realize that human beings get used to everything.In addition, one knows that there are worse things that have no cure, and on the other hand we appreciate the possibility of opting for the best treatments.For example, today the insulin bomb is not in the boom, that is, there are thousands of children in Chile who do not have the privilege of not continuing to click.

In fact, there is a campaign about it ...

J: Yes. I don't want to be 1% of children in Chile who have the bomb.I want everyone to have it, and I also know that in many countries this treatment is within health plans.

The message of hope

How has it been at school?
J: At the beginning difficult and a little uncomfortable, because they looked at me weird.
M: Of course.Like all around the little girl who was punctured.But now it is no longer a subject and even his companions are a super powerful network, because they understand it, take care of her and love her very much.

Have you never bothered or attacked?
M: Yes. Once he had an episode of bullying at school through an anonymous account in a social network.It is that instead of making a cute comment in some photos of Instragram, some children with malicious eagerness tagged it as "diabetics."

J: And they were cowards over, because they did not give their face.

Julieta, do you feel anger or frustration sometimes?
Really yes, because I look at the other children and I wonder why it touched me.But then I think and conclude that when they touch you difficult things, you will always get the prize to the end.And that keeps me constant and hoping that one day the cure will arrive.

M: I don't know what Julieta will do in his future, but I know that one of his great virtues, and that I most admire, is that he lifts us all.Even when she was bored of the punctures and so much rigor, she was the first to look forward and stood up.

Assume what this disease implies ...
M: Of course, assume that it is not easy, but without being captured by fear.As a mom, I have suffered fed up and I am distressing when I don't see her well.However, one of the greatest achievements that we feel as a family is that we live with diabetes and not for diabetes.We understand that our daughter suffers from this condition, we have certain practices that other families do not have, as a couple maybe we do not go so much, we do not travel if the "Juli" does not travel and we restrict ourselves in some everyday things.Despite this, we work super good so and every day we are more united.In addition, although dependent insulin diabetes is medium aggressive and quite enslaving, you can live perfectly with it.If one decides that this is and struggles for that, it is finally pure will.

Julieta, you recently recorded a video, with what goal?

J: I called him "The message of hope."I wanted to convey my experience and show the confidence I have in myself, so that other children realize that they can also achieve it.They can get ahead.

M: The video is now circulating on social networks.Julieta has just opened a channel on YouTube, in which she will begin to climb content, always from the optics of looking at the glass half full.

fer's profile photo
fer
12/16/2015 9:26 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Thank you very much to Julieta for sharing her experience and you @Fer for making her arrive.Messages are like this are an injection of encouragement for those who are starting with all this.

RocioLlinares's profile photo
RocioLlinares
12/16/2015 10:59 a.m.

Mamá de María. 15 años. Diagnósticada 05/06/2015
Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

@fer contact Julieta and join the forum !!!!!And soon hahaha.
What a fighter spirit you have, yes sir !!!!Athlete, fighter and bomb !!!
Thanks for sharing Fer.

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
12/16/2015 11:40 a.m.

Miembro del equipo moderador del foro.

Ultima prueba realizada:
Maratón San Petesrburgo (Rusia)
https://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/07/maraton-san-petersburgo-rusa-42195-mts.html

Prueba deportiva Ruta de las Fortalezas.
http://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/05/ruta-de-las-fortalezas-2019-54700.html

Facebook: Jorge Moto
Usuario Dexcom G6 y microinfusora Tandem T: Slim X2 Basal IQ

Today its biggest objective is to contribute with their experience so that other children in their condition never give up in this fight."You can always get ahead," he says, and with his mother he delivers a revealing and sincere testimony of life.

I have never met children who have surrendered in this disease, do you?Why don't they come out in the media, I'm fed up with so much Flanders?And you can't always get ahead, sometimes it just kills you.

Marcela: There is a phrase that I always repeat, and that is that when there is a diabetic in the family, the whole family is diabetic, and therefore the relationship between us is very close.Now, although Julieta has a pancreas that does not work, there are treatments and options that make it a fairly living disease.It is a enslave, but it allows you to lead a normal life.

Not always, in my family nobody knew anything about diabetes.Agree that it is a enslave but that is why you cannot lead a normal life, you can try to normalize it that is not the same.

M: Of course, a month ago we put the insulin pump, which is the latest in technology to treat diabetics.One of the greatest benefits, no doubt, is no longer to prick.

You do not have to click because it always carries the hole with the canula and the automatic syringe hanging from the body, often invention!And to be the newest ... according to Wikipedia:

In 1963 Dr. Arnold Kadish Designed the First Insulin Pump to Be Worn As A Backpack. [7]A More Wearable Version was later Deised by Dean Kamen in 1976. Kamen formed to Company Called "Autosyringe" to Market the Product, Which He Sold To Baxter Health Care in 1981.

M: La Julieta is athlete, competes for her school and, in addition to athletics, she trains surfing and bodyboard.I really find that sport is a great ally of diabetes, and for Julieta it is part of the therapy and its lifestyle.If in the end the limits are put by them, because a well -treated and disciplined diabetic can make an absolutely normal life.

Allied sport?If it is a Clarisimo handicap, when you do sports you have to prick many more times because everything breaks down.In 20 years I have only fainted sports.

Julieta has had serious decompensations, with clinic days and periods in which he is not right.However, we decided to go forward with the good, with the most or less and with the bad.Of course, we don't look at diabetes as a disease, but as a condition.

So why pussy they take her to the hospital if they don't see it as a disease?

M: Of course, assume that it is not easy, but without being captured by fear.As a mom, I have suffered fed up and I am distressing when I don't see her well.However, one of the greatest achievements that we feel as a family is that we live with diabetes and not for diabetes.We understand that our daughter suffers from this condition, we have certain practices that other families do not have, as a couple maybe we do not go so much, we do not travel if the "Juli" does not travel and we restrict ourselves in some everyday things.Despite this, we work super good so and every day we are more united.In addition, although dependent insulin diabetes is medium aggressive and quite enslaving, you can live perfectly with it.

They say they are not captured by fear but suffer and are distressed.

They say they do not live for diabetes but they don't come out as a couple, they always travel with it and restrict themselves in everyday things.

And to finish it, they say that you can live perfectly being quite enslaved by an aggressive disease.

In my life I have seen such a stupid and contradictory article in each paragraph like this.6 diabetic childrenand 7 years old in the TV3 malate were infinitely more coherent explaining this disease than this 12 -year -old mother and daughter.And on top of that he wants to make videos.My mother !!!!

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
12/16/2015 4:19 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

When someone says: I make normal life ..... my son makes normal life .... I am normal .... I don't know where they see normal being diabetic.

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
12/16/2015 5:22 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

The parents live in continuous schizophrenia.
On the one hand we want to take away importance, so that the child does not suffer, and, on the other, it seems to us the most terrible in the world, or almost.
We suffer a lot.
Until you see that they live reasonably happy and reach the goals that are proposed, and, in the end, they end up adapting, without giving it so much importance, and get diabetes to be something secondary in their life.
And when you get to see that, you realize that you have done a good job ..

And there is a lot ahead, but you learn to look at him with hope.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/16/2015 9 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

A person who is diabetic of course that he can be happy, get their goals, and parents have to be proud of it, but a normal life can never be.
I feel that way and I think so, I am not less happy or I feel less than anyone.

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
12/16/2015 9:32 p.m.

You are right both: this is not normal at all, but it is possible to live happy (especially for those who, for taking many years with diabetes, have already forgotten what a really "normal" life is).

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
12/17/2015 8:48 p.m.

sherpa41 said:
today its biggest objective is to contribute with their experience so that other children in their condition never give up in this fight."You can always get ahead," he says, and with his mother he delivers a revealing and sincere testimony of life.

I have never met children who have surrendered in this disease, do you?Why don't they come out in the media, I'm fed up with so much Flanders?And you can't always get ahead, sometimes it just kills you.

Marcela: There is a phrase that I always repeat, and that is that when there is a diabetic in the family, the whole family is diabetic, and therefore the relationship between us is very close.Now, although Julieta has a pancreas that does not work, there are treatments and options that make it a fairly living disease.It is a enslave, but it allows you to lead a normal life.

Not always, in my family nobody knew anything about diabetes.Agree that it is a enslave but that is why you cannot lead a normal life, you can try to normalize it that is not the same.

M: Of course, a month ago we put the insulin pump, which is the latest in technology to treat diabetics.One of the greatest benefits, no doubt, is no longer to prick.

You do not have to click because it always carries the hole with the canula and the automatic syringe hanging from the body, often invention!And to be the newest ... according to Wikipedia:

In 1963 Dr. Arnold Kadish Designed the First Insulin Pump to Be Worn As A Backpack. [7]A More Wearable Version was later Deised by Dean Kamen in 1976. Kamen formed to Company Called "Autosyringe" to Market the Product, Which He Sold To Baxter Health Care in 1981.

M: La Julieta is athlete, competes for her school and, in addition to athletics, she trains surfing and bodyboard.I really find that sport is a great ally of diabetes, and for Julieta it is part of the therapy and its lifestyle.If in the end the limits are put by them, because a well -treated and disciplined diabetic can make an absolutely normal life.

Allied sport?If it is a Clarisimo handicap, when you do sports you have to prick many more times because everything breaks down.In 20 years I have only fainted sports.

Julieta has had serious decompensations, with clinic days and periods in which he is not right.However, we decided to go forward with the good, with the most or less and with the bad.Of course, we don't look at diabetes as a disease, but as a condition.

So why pussy they take her to the hospital if they don't see it as a disease?

M: Of course, assume that it is not easy, but without being captured by fear.As a mom, I have suffered fed up and I am distressing when I don't see her well.However, one of the greatest achievements that we feel as a family is that we live with diabetes and not for diabetes.We understand that our daughter suffers from this condition, we have certain practices that other families do not have, as a couple maybe we do not go so much, we do not travel if the "Juli" does not travel and we restrict ourselves in some everyday things.Despite this, we work super good so and every day we are more united.In addition, although dependent insulin diabetes is medium aggressive and quite enslaving, you can live perfectly with it.

They say they are not captured by fear but suffer and are distressed.

They say they do not live for diabetes but they don't come out as a couple, they always travel with it and restrict themselves in everyday things.

And to finish it, they say that you can live perfectly being quite enslaved by an aggressive disease.

In my life I have seen such a stupid and contradictory article in eachparagraph like this.The 6 and 7 year old diabetic children who came out in the TV3 malate were infinitely more coherent explaining this disease than this 12 -year -old mother and daughter.And on top of that he wants to make videos.My mother !!!!

A pity your mood.
We send you a hug and hopefully you are well.
Julieta and Marcela

maro's profile photo
maro
06/15/2017 8:59 p.m.

Hello everyone
As mother of son with diabetes because life is transformed.
I have become addicted to reading about the disease and gives me a tremendous anxiety the future and when my son is independent because I need to know most will be in his well -being in any situation of his life.Responsibility, discipline, health, family, friends, worked and everything to be fine.
Be just as happy as I have it.

Each carries a load is to see if it is more or less heavy!

A hug

Angel Andres 's profile photo
Angel Andres
07/30/2017 11:11 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.