{'en': '10 tricks for your child with diabetes to enjoy Halloween', 'es': '10 trucos para que tu hijo con diabetes disfrute Halloween'} Image

10 tricks for your child with diabetes to enjoy Halloween

fer's profile photo   10/19/2015 5:01 p.m.

Halloween is an exciting date for all children.Your son with diabetes can enjoy a healthy and fun Halloween!For many children in the United States and other parts of the world this is an epic date of childhood, full of emotion, costumes, and clear sweets!If your child has diabetes, there is no reason why he cannot enjoy and be part of fun.We must remember that your child does not have a disability;It is equal to all of others, only that their pancreas came out a bit lazy.

Obviously, Halloween has its challenges.One of them is to control glucose with so much treats and the other involves the emotional aspect of feeling "a normal child."This holiday can evolve to be something beyond the sweets.Everything depends on the approach you want to give.Then I give you 10 ideas to enjoy a Halloween in a healthy way and without fears!

1.Create a plan for the whole family. Create a plan for the whole family that concentrates on activities.Decide whether they eat sweets on Halloween or expected, if they eat it along with the snack or food? Where do sweets keep? How many can eat up to date?And others.The more prepared you are, the better you can anticipate the sugar reactions of your child.In addition, the message is clear: all in the house are still in the same plan and there are no distinctions between children.

2.Find incentives for your children to donate sweets. There are many places with sweet donations such as dentists or children's hospitals.In adolescent children, money is an excellent incentive;$ 5 dollars to donate the sweets or $ 0.25 cents for 10 sweets.For minor children you can use a Tip of a Nutrichico Pope: Halloween Bruj.Every year the witch comes in search of the sweet and when she is given the sweet, she gives a gift.

3.Sweets to treat hypoglycemia.This can also be an alternative to always have a candy at hand.The best sweets to treat hypoglycemia are: Jolly Rancher (3 of them = 15g of carbohydrate), nerds (1 mini package =, gummybears, among others.

4.Create themes and activities not related to sweets - as a house of fright, family costumes and decorations at home.You can also give objects that are not sweet such as: pencils, notebooks and toys.Do not worry about being the “boring” house since other families will also thank you and the sweets will remain.

5.Full bells before asking for sweets.The good thing is that he will always have something in hand to raise glucose;).They will also have less temptation to eat them since they will not be starving.

6.Carbohydrates correctly and adjusts insulin.Better concentrate your skills on counting carbohydrate and supplies insulin according to intake.Remember that it's just once a year.To help you count the Halloween sweets, check this link of the Juveinle Diabetes Research Foundation Foundation: Link
7.He chooses to give the treats at meals and not between meals or alone. I always try to emphasize this with my parents.It is not the same to give an insulin bolus for a meal that includes protein, fat, carbohydrate and a couple of sweets that only give insulin for sweet.The absorption will be very different if there is only sweet in the stomach.If possible, give a snack like milk, yogurt or half sandwichito along with the sweet Halloween day.If your child is in injections like this we avoid anotherInjection if it occurs at food or snack time.

8.Opt for chocolates or sweets with peanuts instead of sweets with pure sugar.

9.Take them out of view.That is, do not put them in the centerpiece because they surely disappear.A simple drawer and not falling to hiding the sweets.You don't believe more attention than necessary to the subject.

10.Have fun!Be sure to count carbohydrates correctly, supplies adequate insulin, develops costume activities, rewards without sweets and check the most constant glucose than usual.

fer's profile photo
fer
10/19/2015 5:01 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I thank you for the post, I've been going around the matter for days, and I liked your ideas.

The truth is that then the kids (what I have seen in my nephews) take the sweets and take them home, make them more graceful than eating them.

aranzazuleg's profile photo
aranzazuleg
10/20/2015 11:45 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Point number two is brutal: give someone money to make a "donation": -o

In my town we call sale.

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
10/20/2015 8:46 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

In the US they pass with the children's and sweet parties .., then they get very fat.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
10/21/2015 8:59 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.