{'en': 'Glucagon, what is it, when and how to use it?', 'es': 'Glucagón, ¿qué es, cuándo y cómo utilizarlo?'} Image

Glucagon, what is it, when and how to use it?

fer's profile photo   07/21/2016 1:12 p.m.

Glucagon, like insulin, is a hormone that occurs in the pancreas.Its main function is to increase blood glucose levels, using glucose levels that exist in the liver.That is why it is very useful in those situations of hypoglycemia in which knowledge has been lost and food cannot be swallowed.

All people with diabetes, especially those who are injected insulin, should have at least a glucagon container at their home, instead of work, school, etc., and, train someone close to them who know how andWhen administering it in case of necessity.

What do you have to do to prepare and inject it?

Preparing glucagon injection is very easy, since it is sold in the form of a “kit” that contains everything necessary (glucagon-gen Hypokit).

Anyone can do it.You simply have to introduce the water in the syringe into the glucagon dust road, shake gently, extract the total content of the bottle and inject the totality.The injection usually done subcutaneously (under the skin, such as insulin), but can also be done intramuscularly (such as usual injections) and it would not even matter if it was put in an accident.

There is no reason to have any fear, because glucagon can be injected by any way without any risk for the person with diabetes.If the person recovers knowledge, then and never before, we must give carbohydrates, since the effect of glucagon is very fast and could present a hypoglycemia again.

If in the course of 10 minutes, the person has not recovered knowledge and the Emergency Department has not arrived, the injection can be repeated.Nor should the fact of injecting glucagon be fear when it is not facing hypoglycemia.When in doubt between glucose in high or low blood, it is always preferable to act as if it were a decrease.

Glucagon conservation

• Keep the children's reach and reach
• Keep, well:
in fridge (between 2ºC and 8ºC), or
Outside the fridge, below 25ºC, up to 18 months and within the validity period.
• Keep in the original container to protect it from light
• Do not freeze to prevent product damage.
• Use immediately after preparation.Do not keep it to use it later.
• Do not use glucagon after the expiration date that appears in the container.The date of
Expiration is the last day of the month indicated.
• Do not use the solution if, as rarely occurs, the solution looks like gel or if part of the
dust has not been properly dissolved.
• Do not use whether the plastic cap is missing or it is loose when you receive the product.In
This case returns the product to your pharmacy.

Video that explains how to use glucagen step by step:

Link

fer's profile photo
fer
07/21/2016 1:12 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Add that it does not work or when you are very drunk (ingesting ethyl alcohol inhibits glucose formation by the liver, since the liver is entertaining metabolizing alcohol) or when much physical exercise has been done for a long time for possible exhaustion of reservesof glycogen.

That is why when you go to party and drink a lot, some of your friends have to know that if you have to call 112, you have to indicate that you have drunk and have to put it to you immediately glucose.

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
07/21/2016 5:36 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@Artorias knew the alcohol, but not that in that case they put you glucosado or that you should say it, I take note

GemaTer's profile photo
GemaTer
07/22/2016 12:01 a.m.

Conviviendo con la diabetes desde 1986
Aviva Combo Junio 2015
Freestyle Enero 2016
Dexcom g4 Octubre 2016
Ultima Hb1ac 5,7

Hello, I have a couple of doubts:

1) The glucagon that I have is in the fridge.The other day I took it out to look at it, and I saw that the boat with dust has no dust, but it seems that the white substance that was inside is made.I understand that it will have spoiled.It is not expired.How do you see it?
Ok, edito ... I had not read well what puts in the initial message about the aspect of "gel" ... that is, I can throw it ...

2) I have not specified using it for now.And I live alone, so if I lose knowledge at home, goodbye very good.But the doubt goes with the when : if one loses knowledge and there is someone who injects it, it is clear.But I have read in some thread that there are people who have injected them being very low.So I understand two things: the first is that even being low can be handled well (I can even think or do almost anything ... and the second is that it is not necessary to lose knowledge to inject glucagon, which is what I understood, which is an extreme measure.
Can anyone clarify this point of why there are those who use it without loss of consciousness and if any doctor has indicated it and why?

Thank you :-)

imara's profile photo
imara
03/01/2017 3:35 p.m.

The glucagén you can put it without having lost consciousness, whenever it is a severe hypo that does not happen to you drinking or sugary drinks.Problem: When you start a hypo you think it is a normal hypo and take something, and keep going down, and you take more things, and it seems that it does nothing, then you already realize that you need glucagén, but it is too muchLate because you are in a state that you no longer manage to prepare it.In my particular case the three times that I have taken it, my family has put it because I was incapable.Of the 3 times I lost knowledge.Your problem is that you live alone.
Home remedy that I have saved in the fridge: I dissolve in 100 cc of hot water from 80 to 100 gr.of sugar and stays like a superconcentrated gel that you can take right away and very rapid absorption (such as those that sell in pharmacies with dextrose) and keep it in a little mash of fruit puree like those of Mercadona.If you get a hiccup you can start drinking a little until you see that it is happening to you, but what I do not know is if a severe hypo solves it, some important one has taken me away.

runing50's profile photo
runing50
03/01/2017 4:34 p.m.

@imara I do not know if you will have the spoiled glucagon but the road where the dust is as you say a solid dough looks like a pill with the shape of the road and the two are the same, just like those I have used good that they have used with me.

@Runing50 They have always put me, that if I have ever seen 25 one in the glucometer and be so happy and others with 50/60 and be for drag (the error of the glucometers?)
Hot water in the fridge?
I for normal coca hypos.And it hasn't taken any.

samozeus's profile photo
samozeus
03/01/2017 11:57 p.m.

DM1 desde el 81 antes de naranjito.
Con bomba desde 2012
Minimed Veo parading
Minimed 640g desde 06/2015
Minimed 640g desde 19/03/2016 la 2a
Minimed 780g desde el 23/03/2021
Hemoglobina 12/01/2021->6.1
28/07/2021-> 6.4

The water with sugar in the fridge had not occurred to me, I have soft drinks and tonic.
The glucagon is made a hard bolus ... Of the 3 vials, one expired and threw it and the other two still last a few months ... but I think we will have to throw them away.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
03/02/2017 12:10 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

samoeus said:
@imara I don't know if you will have the spoiled glucagon but the vial where the dust is how you say a solid mass seems like a pill with the shape of the road and the two are the same,Like those I have used good that they have used with me.

Do you say that you have used it being a dough?Has it been easy to introduce the water from the syringe?

@"Ruthbia", I see that this has also happened to you ... I do not understand, so, how it has to be preserved ... how to trust a product that is not expired, and is preserved in the appropriate conditions, ifChange your status and as you say, it should not be used if it ceases to be dust?@-)

@"Runing50", thank you very much, understood as the use of glucacon with conscience :-) I suppose that if you do sports intensely it is easier that I know that situation that hiccups are not easily exceeded.To me that case of not being able to get out of the hiccups once, before using insulin, with glymepirid pills;It was terrible, and I spent three hours alone, without info, or support (or good medical performances), or adequate products.I went out with juices, I already believe it ... and with an anguish of three pairs of noses:-P

The water with sugar I do not see it necessary by having several glucose gel envelopes ...

thank you :-)

imara's profile photo
imara
03/02/2017 4:05 p.m.

Hello Imara, the dextrose gel is also very good, but the gel is expensive, the 15 gr costs about 2 euros, and before a severe hypo you have to take 3 or 4. the sugar diluted in hot water you can put theconcentration you want (for that you heat the water to be able to dilute the sugar well), I have made them up to 90 gr, and I have not noticed that the absorption time of the dextrose is significantly faster than those of glucose.The advantages I see from the gel is that for a normal hiccup they are going well and are much easier to carry in your pocket.The idea he gave you was to keep the boat in the fridge in a preventive way.

runing50's profile photo
runing50
03/02/2017 4:31 p.m.

Thank you, @"Runing50", it seems to me a good idea if it happened to me often, you are right, the gel is very expensive.I barely use gel because with 60 hypos if I take gel supersube, so it worked with 2.5 HC glucose pills, and with two or three sometimes I go well and control how I get on.If I take sugar or gel I have not controlled it and shoots me;It is a matter of sensibilities (and also, as I have commented before, how quickly the thing is going down, of course).I have the gel for more serious occasions, which I hope not to have too many, because the bad thing is going with 60 (last night it gave me a 60, and the nausea during the next time to meet the numeritory of Marras were from Aúpa)
But I will take into account the sugar with water for situations in which the gel can expire or do not have.Now a question comes to me, well ... How long does that endure in the fridge without spoiling?If you have it in the fridge, with the days the sugar does not precipitate to the bottom?Ok, I am bad of such physical experiences:-P

imara's profile photo
imara
03/02/2017 4:41 p.m.

6 months in the fridge they last well, and I do not notice that they precipitate even if the cap is sticky.
Do they give you nausea after the hypos?The truth is that I begin to notice below 40, so I have to take more than 10 gr of glucose, with 60 if I am sitting or without doing any physical activity I do not find out.In your case the 2.5 gr pills is the best, I bought them long ago and I still have one at home, because they didn't do me a lot.

runing50's profile photo
runing50
03/02/2017 5:47 p.m.

Images made a paste/pill and nothing else introduce the liquid or 2 seconds have passed

samozeus's profile photo
samozeus
03/02/2017 5:56 p.m.

Con bomba desde 2012
Minimed Veo parading
28/07/2021-> 6.4

I have never put it to my daughter, but I have recently read that you can put at low doses with insulin syringes.
If I had known before, I would have solved many moments of anguish when he had gastroenteritis with vomiting.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
03/02/2017 8:19 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

@Runing50 Ya I have understood you about hot water (warm water so that sugar is better dissolved) and I think about something ...
@Regina about the glucacon minidosis I just found 4 days ago and as you say to have known before you can read it here with the permission of the moderators I leave the link

samozeus's profile photo
samozeus
03/02/2017 9:04 p.m.

Con bomba desde 2012
Minimed Veo parading
28/07/2021-> 6.4

Link

samozeus's profile photo
samozeus
03/02/2017 9:09 p.m.

Con bomba desde 2012
Minimed Veo parading
28/07/2021-> 6.4

@"Samozeus", thanks for the images.So it works even if it is "in pill"
By the way, plug the link you have put and nothing comes out ...

@"Runing50", they don't always give me nausea, but many times, when it starts to rise to me (and I don't talk about hyper's climbs, but from hypo or from low values; go, I have symptoms sometimes until when I leaveFrom 100 to 140 a few days.

thank you :-)

imara's profile photo
imara
03/03/2017 5:09 p.m.

Link

@imara I don't know why in the other post he has written the before he works.It must be because the other is put from the PC and this from the tablet.That or another mystery of computer science.

samozeus's profile photo
samozeus
03/03/2017 6:32 p.m.

Con bomba desde 2012
Minimed Veo parading
28/07/2021-> 6.4

@"Samozeus" Now yes, thanks :-)
The one before, besides that it did not work (I think it has to do with the word "diabetes" appears in it, and the forum the brand) copied and hit it and either.This yes, I'm going to take a look.

imara's profile photo
imara
03/03/2017 7:34 p.m.

@"Runing50", what you do I do too but less elaborate, I sign up for the idea.
What I do is that I always have a glass of water with 5-6 tablespoons of sugar and as half a glass of water, I do it for the mñna and I have it on the nightst table for night when I get into bedIt has been formed as a kind of almibar, it is a bomb, with a nephew right away.

Gala's profile photo
Gala
03/05/2017 12:28 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

Hi Gala, I'm glad the idea can help you.Mine is more elaborate because I started using it to prevent hypos when I do sports, I go to the mountains, etc., the 90 gr fruit boats that are in Mercadona and many hyper, when they are empty, the reuses filling them with the concentration of waterand sugar you want and can easily take in your pocket.

runing50's profile photo
runing50
03/05/2017 4:40 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.