Nutritional information and other doubts

ian_86's profile photo   08/26/2016 1:06 p.m.

Good morning,

I take the opportunity to introduce myself.I am a (relatively recent) type 2 diabetic, with metformin treatment half a gram tomorrow and another half night.
At the moment, and until before summer I have been taking it quite well.When doing sports regularly, I lowered my HBA1C from 5.9 to 5.7, and even my C Peptide rose from 0.4 to 0.7.
This summer I have uncontrolled a little for irregularities in terms of meals and exercise, so between the return to the routine and the football preseason I walk putting me more rigid in terms of food and sport, hehe.
I have a series of doubts to see if you can clarify me:
1.- In nutritional labels, I have not to look at the sugar part within the HC section, but in the amount of HC, right?
I give an example.We have black chocolate, whose composition has 50gr of HC of which the 50gr are sugars.On the other we have chocolate without added sugars, with 50gr of HC and only 10gr of sugars.Consuming the first will give rise to a peak of sugar since the 50gr are simple carbohydrates, while with the second, although the HC that will consume my body are the same as with the previous one, they would be 10gr of rapid absorption leaving the other 40grAs HC complex and slow absorption, which will do is that it produces a controlled blood glucose rise.
Would this be something like that?
2.- Regarding the theme of alcohol, I have always heard that you have to be careful with it due to hypoglycemia.But if for example one day you go out to have some beers, they have HC on the other hand.Therefore, would at first give down sugar and then go up?
Referred to this issue, looking at HC Tables (rum, etc ...) appear as they have no hydrates, do not then interfere in blood glucose?(Apart from the soft soft drinks is.

At the moment I think I have no more doubt.We read here.

Thank you so much!!

ian_86's profile photo
ian_86
08/26/2016 1:06 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

You have to take into account the fats.The more sugars there are in the faster HC.
When alcohol is consumed the liver is distracted with it and stops manufacturing sugar.Although it does not have HC, it must be taken into account because you can have a downturn.That is why they always say that when you drink you have to eat too.
Welcome to the forum!

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
08/26/2016 2:06 p.m.

Hello Welcome !!
In the theme of chocolate it is not that they are complex hydrates, but polyalcohols, which, as I understand, are metabolized half of the amount that it puts (for example if there are 40 gr of polyalcohols are absorbed 20) with the quallos total hydrates would be less.Another issue to take into account as you have told you are the fats, which apart from slowing the HC absorption must be taken into account, mostly saturated, for health.
Alcohol is dangerous for what they have told you about the liver, so whenever distilled drinks are taken, it has to be with sugary soft drinks (or alternate with and without) and take HC of slow absorption.With beer, alcohol is compensated with the HC Q has, but you also have to eat, you better not risk ...

mariah14's profile photo
mariah14
08/27/2016 9:02 a.m.

anaisabel said:
must also take into account fats.The more sugars there are in the faster HC.
When alcohol is consumed the liver is distracted with it and stops manufacturing sugar.Although it does not have HC, it must be taken into account because you can have a downturn.That is why they always say that when you drink you have to eat too.
Welcome to the forum!

I just freak out with the polyalcohols ... I always take chocolate of 95% of the Mercadona, which has only 2 grs approx of hydrates per ounce I think I remember, it does not look so much, since I do not upload an ounce at all, and for yogurt or pancakes it is ray and such and it is a macnificent option ... but really, I have flipped ... how much I learn here milk !!!

Marcos_J_M's profile photo
Marcos_J_M
08/27/2016 1:07 p.m.

Marcos - 26 años - Debut a los 14
Sevilla - HbA1c 5.5

@ian_86 Welcome to the forum.
@Marcos_J_M This thread is a while ago but it is very well explained about the sweeteners, polyalcohols ... etc.

Link

GemaTer's profile photo
GemaTer
08/27/2016 1:14 p.m.

Conviviendo con la diabetes desde 1986
Aviva Combo Junio 2015
Freestyle Enero 2016
Dexcom g4 Octubre 2016
Ultima Hb1ac 5,7

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.