{'en': 'Pokemon Go: Guide to combat diabetes', 'es': 'Pokemon Go: Guía para combatir la diabetes'} Image

Pokemon Go: Guide to combat diabetes

fer's profile photo   09/02/2016 4:15 p.m.

The main diabetes researchers believe that the madness of smartphones with Pokémon Go could be an "innovative solution" for the increase in levels of obesity and chronic diseases.

Millions of people around the world have begun to play Pokémon Go, an augmented reality that makes players walk through places within the real world and capture and train the monsters that appear on the screens of their mobile phones.

Tom Yates, from the Department of Physical Activity, Sedentary Behavior and Health of the Leicester Diabetes Center, of the University of Leicester (United Kingdom), says: «Something that manages that people get up from the couch and walk through the streets, it could beAn innovative solution to increase obesity.Walking is greatly underestimated and yet it is the best and cheapest way of exercise.It is an easy and accessible way to be active and help maintain a healthy body, ”reports trends 21.

The application was first launched in the US, Australia and New Zealand and has now been launched in the United Kingdom, Canada and Japan, among other countries.It already has more active users than the application of Tinder appointments and has surpassed the social network Twitter in daily use.

Diabetes

Obesity is the most important risk factor for type 2 diabetes, since it represents 80-85 percent of the general risk of developing this disease.Health authorities recommend that adults have an at least 150 minutes (2.5 hours) of moderate exercise in sessions of 10 minutes or more.

The university's press release recounts the case of Tom Booth, 45, who has become a usual User of Pokemon Go, although he suffers from acute social anxiety, which makes him rarely leave home."At first I thought it was only for children, but I downloaded it to see what the entire fuss was about and for the first time in years I have left home and walk kilometers simply following what happens in the game."

"When I get home, I am exhausted but it has really been great to leave home and exercise without even realizing that I am doing it."

Last year the results of a study, which was carried out at the Leicester Diabetes Center, demonstrated the importance of incorporating pauses into the long periods of sitting.The research showed that women can prevent the development of type 2 diabetes being standing or walking regularly.

health benefits

Published in Diabetes Care, the journal of the American Diabetes Association, the investigation suggests that episodes of light movement of five minutes every 30 minutes significantly reduce blood sugar and insulin levels.

Matt Hoffman, Professor of Clinical Assistance at the University of Texas A & AMP;M (USA), points out that Pokemon Go is great news for public health."Playing is a lot of fun, and it has been a catalyst for people to get into motion," says Hoffman, who has affectionately nicknamed the "Professor Pokemon" by his co -workers.

"There is a sense of community in which coaches [as players are called] converge in search of Pokemon, or when they meet in pokeparadas," says Hoffman."The game is joining people, offering opportunities for social interaction and increasing the sense of belonging, which can have a positive impact on our emotional and mental health."

In addition, the technological tension that divides generations of a family can decrease."This is a relatively non -violent game, and I have seen families playing together," says Hoffman on his university's website."Encourage parents to go outside with their children while playing."Hoffman says that playing the game has even expanded his sense of curiosity and his knowledge about his local community."I have discovered new experiences within my community because the game has taken me to areas that I had not explored, or, previously only crossed," he says."In addition, I have met many interesting people during the game, and I like to see the variation in the designs of the characters and skills."

Of course, Hoffman warns of the risks of looking at the phone and not paying attention to the environment, such as stumble upon a curb.You have to look where it goes, it points out, and it is also safer to go as a team.«Remember, you should never play Pokemon Go driving.It is also important to avoid playing in dark and isolated areas ».

fer's profile photo
fer
09/02/2016 4:15 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Come on, we are losing the north or what ??

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
09/04/2016 9:57 a.m.

DMT1 desde los 12 años (1991)
hbA1c= 5,4

Humalog y Toujeo (mayo 2017)
Humalog y Tresiba (mayo 2016 hasta mayo 2017)
humalog y NPH (desde inicio hasta mayo de 2016)

@Luvi is an exception that has even its grace, it is not usual for the doctors to say that a video game is good, I like them a lot and I am "gamer" for years, I think that after the Wii with the Wiifit, this isThe first one that is talked about positive!

fer's profile photo
fer
09/04/2016 11:21 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I still do not see it of course.I see more fights than good things.A lot of danger in the street too

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/04/2016 2 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

You should never play Pokemon Go driving?:))

Regina's profile photo
Regina
09/04/2016 8:22 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

As you are going to see him @joseludi when a child has to motivate or have to be motivated to do "exercise" with a mobile and a game. What future can we wait?I think the propaganda and marketing boom that is taking place to this type of atrocity.If atrocity because we are going from our hands the use of technology and replace it with the fundamental values ​​of a lifetime .. but the Ordago of all this is that the doctors go on television exalting similar ... sorry for the wordGilipolz.@Fer has nothing to do to be Game to see it.

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
09/04/2016 8:29 p.m.

DMT1 desde los 12 años (1991)
hbA1c= 5,4

Humalog y Toujeo (mayo 2017)
Humalog y Tresiba (mayo 2016 hasta mayo 2017)
humalog y NPH (desde inicio hasta mayo de 2016)

What a debate can be mounted here, although a little off-topopic casí xD.
I believe that the hype that is given or stopped giving to the game is the fault of the media, not of the game itself.They launched a proposal, they did well, several factors gathered, or whatever, and they triumphed, is it all the fault of the game and the creators?Are the devil and the game is so bad?
In case it is bad or good I will not enter, for tastes the colors and each one who plays what he wants, but I am sure that there are very worse games and more harmful there, and nobody says anything simply because they are not popular.But the media are healed and news of everything that is popular and can attract clicks and spectators.
That if people have killed themselves ... that if people are reckless and play while driving ... ok, but it is what happens when you have millions of players/users, which among them will be fools.But that happens with Pokemon Go, with Wassap, and with whatever, the desire is a statistic.
It seems nonsense for the demonization that has been made of the game, and of course it also seems to me that it is exalted in a magical plan or that a lot of hype is to the issue that motivates to walk, exercise etc.It can be said that it is a bit silly that something like that is what motivates you to leave the house and walk, but hey, if he gets it and it works for them, because I do not see anyone getting into the zumba xD).But well, leaving this aside, there were already augmented reality games before Pokemon Go and that prompted moving, but nobody talks about them because they are not popular.That this can be attributed to the common bulk of mortals does not know the video games or the news of these unless it is "trend", because yes, so I suppose it will be that ... but once again, if we were toboth of everything that is and is available at click ...
And summarizing, what is sad that things like that have to encourage or facilitate exercising without realizing, or exercising the youngest?Yes, but there are so many sad things in this society (and much more than this) that, why heal with this?
May each one play and do what they want, whenever it does well, and do not harm others with them.That this society is already full of shit in which no one is fixed and says nothing, unless the media focus it.
What a tochco I have soltao

PS: I have never played Pokemon Go, hahaha.

Miexron's profile photo
Miexron
09/04/2016 9:04 p.m.

DM tipo 1 desde Junio 2016 - Novorapid y Toujeo.
HbA1c: 6,2 // 30 añazos
----------------------------------------------------------------
Échale un ojo a mi web de ilustraciones sobre diabetes!: https://www.facebook.com/diabetesatiras/

@Uvi and @Miexron my intention about the pokemon go does not go beyond that it is one of the video games that make you leave home to walk and that has had more impact on history, the typical stereotype of a "gamer" you already knowAs it is, and that is why I understand that it is given a lot of hype and saucer from the media, which has also caught them in summer and little more would have to publish !!!

My opinion is that everything that serves to help us exercise, welcome!;)

Ah! And I don't think this replaces anything, you can promptly, but in the long term there is not so much change, and we will see how long this fashion lasts.

fer's profile photo
fer
09/05/2016 9:25 a.m.

Continuing with the "Off-Topic", in my case he has got my daughter to be waiting for me when I arrive from the work to drag myself to the street to hunt together those, pokeparadas and gyms.The more you walk, the more level you are acquiring without spending money.Therefore, positive point for the game, that fashion lasts, although we already know that from here to two months I will be level 35 and my daughter will pass the subject and will end up taking it off the mobile...At the moment Carpe Diem,

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/06/2016 10:20 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.