{'en': 'Bautista, is 9 years old and diabetes, explains his experience (Argentina)', 'es': 'Bautista, tiene 9 años y diabetes, explica su experiencia (Argentina)'} Image

Bautista, is 9 years old and diabetes, explains his experience (Argentina)

fer's profile photo   09/05/2016 9:54 a.m.

Bautista Díaz (9) has type 1 diabetes, an autoimmune disease that affects millions of people in the world and has no cure.However, this little one faces his ailment with great courage and even in school teaches his companions how to control their illness.

At 5 years Bautista suffered a picture of diabetic ketoacidosis that left him in a coma for three days and since then the journey for the Diaz family began.

"The news was quite shocking because we had no idea where we were standing and we didn't know anything about the disease," says Luciana, mother of the little one, the newspaper.

"I tell you that I have to click"

This is how Bautista tells his fourth grade companions of the Normal School how he has to control his diabetes.He goes with his glucose meter and every time he has to click is an event, both for classmates and teachers.

“I show you how it is done.I punctuate my finger, take out a droplet of blood and control myself.I like I don't feel anything, but the boys frighten, ”Baptist has an accomplice laugh.With his words he explains to his friends that blood glucose is measured, that he must have between 70 and 150 mg/dl, which is normal, and that if he has more or less he begins to feel bad.

Every year, when Bautista advances grade, the Diaz family must explain to the new teachers of the boy the collections and precautions they must have before diabetes."There is no other student at the school suffering from the same disease, so every grade that goes through we are talking to each teacher," says Luciana.

Bautista Díaz and his mother Luciana.

healthy life

To cope with his illness the child had to acquire healthy lifestyle habits.Healthy eating and physical activity are the pillars in which the care of all diabetic patients is sustained.

"As varied-says the child-, carrots, lettuce, apples, many fruits and vegetables, but to school I take cereals."At the same time, Bautista practices football in a school.

"Bautista is very brave," Luciana is recognized as she looks at her son- we teach him not to lower his arms and he does not, fights his illness. "

The Díaz argue that accepting and respecting the disease is essential to get ahead, in addition to having access to all available information and having an appropriate professional and family accompaniment.

Bautista did not want to leave our writing without leaving a message for all those who suffer from the disease or other evils: "They have to fight it to get ahead."

Difficulties

Although since 2014 there is a law that guarantees the coverage of 100% of the medicines and diagnostic reagents to all those who suffer from diabetes, currently the patients still have to fight against social works to obtain their inputs.

“We have trouble getting many medications, a complication always appears.Luckily the United States Diabetics Association is very close and willing to help us, ”says Luciana.

fer's profile photo
fer
09/05/2016 9:54 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.