{'en': 'Immune therapy for diabetes 1 (essay in people)', 'es': 'Terapia inmune para la diabetes 1 (Ensayo en Personas)'} Image

Immune therapy for diabetes 1 (essay in people)

fer's profile photo   11/26/2015 6:39 p.m.

There have only been 14 patients and for the moment there are not many data on their effectiveInsulin producing cells.

The first tests that a treatment must overcome before generalizing its use are carried out with very few patients and aim to verify that it is safe, and not so much what its effectiveness can be.

In this sense, a phase 1 essay that has just published the Science Translational Medicine magazine has met this security objective in a group of 14 diabetic people (six women and eight newly diagnosed men) who have received a therapy based on the first timeof their own cells to try to control type 1 diabetes.

This diabetes modality is an autoimmune disease, unlike type 2 diabetes that are usually associated with obesity and poor diet.In the case of type 1 diabetes, usual in young patients (and also in children), the immune system themselves attack the beta cells of insulin producers in the patient's pancreas, weakening their ability to control glucose levels inblood.

In the past, as Jeffrey Bluestone (from the University of San Francisco) recognizes in his article, the immunomodulating efficacy of many different therapies has been tested, trying to correct or replace the defective T cells to avoid that attack of the organism itself;However, none of them has had a lasting effect.

On this occasion, his team tested an autotransfusion of T cells of the patients themselves (between 18 and 43 years), previously multiplied in the laboratory.As they explain, with a small blood sample of the participants, millions of regulatory T cells were obtained, which are considered to be defective in diabetic patients because they are unable to maintain the immune response under control.

These T cells were grown in the laboratory until they multiply their amount by 1,500 and again transfused patients.In laboratory tests, the work authors explain, these multiplied T cells also showed greater activity than unrelated T cells.

The main news of the essay is that this injection had no adverse reaction in patients, who tolerated self -transfusion well and did not suffer any immune hyper reaction.But in addition, the researchers underline, a year later, transfused T cells still persisted in the bloodstream of patients.

With these preliminary results on the table, the American company Caladris Pharmaceuticals has already announced that it prepares the beginning of a phase 2 test to continue checking the effectiveness of this cell therapy in the control of type 1 diabetes.

Source: The world

fer's profile photo
fer
11/26/2015 6:39 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Well, let's cross the fingers ...

Gala's profile photo
Gala
11/26/2015 6:43 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

Is this essay made with newly debuted people who still have pancreatic reserve or is it worth all people with DM1, regardless of the years they have been with the disease? ... I don't understand if what they do is take T cells that workeither multiply and inject them or take T cells that no longer work, treat them, multiply and inject them ...

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
11/26/2015 8:42 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I believe this.If you are published in Science, it is serious.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
11/26/2015 11:33 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

T cells are the regulators of the immune system, at least I understand that .., they are not beta cells ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
11/26/2015 11:35 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

I imagine that it works by regulating the immune system and allowing beta cells not to destroy. What it is not clear to me is that beta cells reproduce alone ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
11/26/2015 11:42 p.m.

And to those who do not have beta cells that are most of the type1, that we are no longer from honey moon?

Gala's profile photo
Gala
11/27/2015 12:08 a.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

That's why I say that I don't know if they can be reproduced if they are not attacked ...

Regina's profile photo
Regina
11/27/2015 12:11 a.m.

They would not reproduce, but they would make stem cell therapy viable, which has proven to work to generate beta cells, the problem was that the immune system kill them again.So the combination of the two techniques would be great.

Con_Q_de_quimica's profile photo
Con_Q_de_quimica
11/27/2015 1:52 a.m.

This is a real cure, the encapsulated beta cells would change our lives completely, but it remains to be seen if it works, and we would continue to be diabetic.With this no longer, it would be the end of the disease.

The issue of implanting beta cells that are not rejected by a normal immune system, I do not know if it is already functional, but if not, it is quite advanced, I have read several articles recently.

The problem is the usual, we are not worthwhile again to have beta cells, because our immune system is still stupid and will be loaded as soon as you see them.
We need to be able to tell our immune system not to do that, and until recently there was not much idea how to do it.

That is why at the moment to avoid this, or beta cells are encapsulated with an implant, or transplant them but we take immunosuppressants.

I wish the news will prosper ...

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
11/27/2015 9:25 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.