{'en': 'The experience of a diabetes nurse at school', 'es': 'La experiencia de una enfermera de diabetes en la Escuela'} Image

The experience of a diabetes nurse at school

fer's profile photo   10/16/2016 12:44 p.m.

When I started studying nursing, I didn't even think about the relationship my career could have with a school.Everything were urgencies, plants, consultations, UCIS ... The exciting world of the nurse in practices!And I loved it.

But something changed and as a nurse when, for the first time I went to visit my partner and predecessor Elena (the one that introduced me to the world of type 1 diabetes and insulin bombs) and something clicks inside me ...He established an immediate connection with the children that he was going to have to take care of the next month (even without knowing it, I was only out of curiosity) and that she was already doing so well!

This sheet together with the protocols of children made with great patience and care for their mothers, in which I only saw numbers (glycemia) and ml of juices or half cookies were my start guide.That and a panic nurse service that the potatoes had all day to solve all the doubts that I had, that were not few!

And so my adventure began, always on the final date on 30-31 of each month and the uncertainty of whether the entire course would continue, for "children have to be autonomous and a nurse takes away autonomy."

This was one of the first phrases that I heard throughout this path (among other barbarities) and that made me think for the first time: autonomy?Are cars?No, they are children of 4.7 and 8 years.I would not be autonomous instead.

With the passage of time I have been molding my thinking about autonomy, as I have known other children of other ages and talking to adult patients and from my point of view, until 12 years they do not acquire the total degree of autonomy necessary forhandle the ins and outs of your "partner."

According to the American Diabetes Association (ADA) either, because they establish that up to 12 years education must be aimed at parents and caregivers and from then on, it would be addressed to the child with the parents included.

Link

Let's make a reflection: Would you leave your minor children to make decisions that directly affect their health?And administering a "easy mistake" medication that can trigger serious consequences?

Each error has a consequence that affects the child in every way of their bi-psycho-social development, let's minimize errors and let's be the person responsible for them.

Good weekend to all!And thanks

Source: Link

fer's profile photo
fer
10/16/2016 12:44 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Jo who could have a nurse at school ... and more with a 3 -year -old daughter ... but it is clear that these things or pays or in public choles there is nothing to do ... for now in my caseI walk, while I can, controlling my daughter and something does the tutor (thanks to free freestyle) but the decisions always parents ... and uncertainty all morning and not being able to go "far" to more than 10 minutesIn case you have to run ...
And in the meantime, fighting to get some improvement in my work that allows me

mariah14's profile photo
mariah14
10/16/2016 5:06 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I have been lucky that my daughter debuted with thirteen years and from the first moment she was autonomous, it is clear that in some decisions regarding dose she is wrong and will be wrong, but we parents too, but it is also true that many timesHe is right, and as I have learned from you this is proof/error so he is learning.And of course I must thank the implication of my daughter's teachers, who despite being 14 years old are always pending.I cannot understand or imagine how parents of young children will be happening.And of course I am outraged that there are no health personnel in school, and more when in any company of more than 100 workers they are obliged to have it, in which school there are no more than 100 children?

RocioLlinares's profile photo
RocioLlinares
10/16/2016 6:08 p.m.

Mamá de María. 15 años. Diagnósticada 05/06/2015
Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

already @rociolinares but the children are not workers (as teachers I mean work are the ones that are carried the most ...)

mariah14's profile photo
mariah14
10/17/2016 3:50 p.m.

By the way and speaking only of the image of the photo ... the insulin pump is like the Nintendo no? How many keys !!:))

mariah14's profile photo
mariah14
10/17/2016 3:53 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.