{'en': 'Diabetes, blindness, misery and a guitar', 'es': 'Diabetes, ceguera, miseria y una guitarra'} Image

Diabetes, blindness, misery and a guitar

fer's profile photo   01/31/2016 11:09 a.m.

Don Alejandro, a blind guitarist, travels through the streets in search of a currency that allows him to survive.

From Alejandro Ramírez's dry mouth, the feeling turned into song escapes, while his old guitar and faithful companion, "cries" in his hands.Sitting on the green quarry sidewalk, his voice makes the tourist walker happy:

Naila, say why you abandon me/ dumb, although you know that I love you/ come back to me/ I don't look for another path/ I forgive you because without your love/ my heart split.

The clock marks 11:55 of summer schedule.Few walkers also called "Macedonio Alcalá" walker, in memory of the Mexican violinist, pianist and composer remembered for his composition of the anthem "God never dies."

Tourists take photos and in their small sheet of sheet placed to the floor, the first coin of the day still does not fall.Next to him, his white cane that leads everywhere.

Thus, between music and song the hours and days of Alejandro Ramírez, a widowed, only and sick man who declares himself aware of the dangers that lurk him in the street and in his bed, in which he prays every night beforefall asleep."I am a Christian and not Reniego of my luck," he says, voice and image of Oaxaca.

He is Alejandro, 65 years old, with total loss of vision for four decades and with poorly treated diabetes since 2005, a condition that a doctor confirmed days after silent cancer snatched his wife María Elena CruzGonzález, death that does not exceed yet.

Early in a dark sweatshirt, a rapid denim pants, black shoes in obvious deterioration, Alejandro Ramírez covers his hair cano with an old cachucha.

He explains that his life train starts every day very early.Wake up reluctant and with a dry mouth attributed to high glucose.He rests in a marriage bed in complete deterioration and is covered with stipulated and dirty blankets.Rarely breakfast at home because it lacks a stove.

extreme poverty

Live overwhelmed in a small roof and walls based on wooden strips and slices visibly eaten away by oxide, in a small fraction of land marked with number 419 of Oaxaca street of the "José López Portillo" neighborhoodRailroad Avenue.

Remember that more than forty years ago, with the support of his wife María Elena, with whom he procreated three children, without the ailments that harass him today, he bought that land for which this year he will have to pay six hundred pesos of property tax.

"My state of health is delicate, my economic situation is very precarious and today I would hardly gather that money; for this reason, my call to the municipal president of Santa Lucía del Camino, Galdino Huerta, so that I am cond by that payment, he says.

Your newspaper Trajinar

He explains that he leaves his house at nine in the morning."I regularly walk and in the market of the Víctor Bravo Ahuja neighborhood I stop to sing one or two songs. People help me with some coins and sometimes I give me breakfast."

In the talk with news, Alejandro Ramírez adds that sometimes his walk lasts to the historic center.Some people give me coins and regularly ask them to help me cross the street.

Other times, leaving my house, I approach an urban transport bus.It is late to achieve it, because most operators do not stop when it comes to my person.The drivers who give me "chance" get on their buses, allow me to sing on board so that the passengers help me with some coins.I got off in the center of the city and go to the tourist walker to play my guitar and sing some songs.

total blindness

He ufana to dominate a repertoire of more than five hundred songs."I learned them upon my arrivalTo the city of Oaxaca, 45 years ago. "Alejandro Ramírez was born on November 29, 1946 in San Sebastián Río Dulce, Zimatlán de Álvarez, a town who had to leave, because there is no job in that place.

Remember: "I had a low vision from Chamaco, but my parents did not take me before a doctor. I never studied the view. Sometimes they took me with the healers of the town and even with sorcerers. One of these assured that he would heal myself to theOne hundred percent and several times I applied alcohol camphorated in my eyes.

He adds: "I concluded my elementary studies at age 19, twelve months, before I totally lost the vision."

keeps his parents

In the talk with news, he says that his brother Zenobio Ramírez, 60, accompanies him sporadically on his customary routes."Me Brother is also sick. He lost the vision of his right eye and has no job."

In the interview, Alejandro says that only between 60 and 80 pesos is carried home, an amount that is not enough.

Without the sense of sight, with health deteriorated by diabetes, and without economic resources, Alejandro Ramírez still has his parents under his care: Joaquín Ramírez and Carmen Marcelina López, 90 and 85 years old, respectively;And therefore, he begs the authorities of the Delegation of the Ministry of Social Development, include them in any of his programs for older adults.Meanwhile, I would appreciate food and clothing.

serious health deterioration

As a result of his diabetes, the guitarist is losing his dental pieces and demands the support of altruistic Oaxacans to support him with economic resources.He needs money to be treated by a particular dentist.It goes sporadically at the Urresse dentistry service, but for each attention they charge 400 pesos.

Its small property is located in a high crime zone.It has a fence debt based on aluminum sheets that do not offer any safety.Therefore, he raises his voice to demand donations in partition and rods, and the support in labor to build a small fence of industrialized materials.

"I am not pleading with a luxury, it is for the security of my brother, my parents and mine," he clarifies.

fer's profile photo
fer
01/31/2016 11:09 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

That hero and what a shame that this exists in the 21st century !!

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
02/01/2016 9:43 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Very sad history.If there is any way to help this person with some information information @fer in case we can do something.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
02/01/2016 10:13 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.