University work on a diabetes treatment device

fer's profile photo   01/22/2016 10:40 a.m.

In order to propose an alternative therapy in the treatment of type 1 diabetes mellitus, which according to data from the National Institute of Statistics and Geography (INEGI) is found as the second cause of death in the country, students of the National Autonomous University ofMexico (UNAM) work on the development of a device called Proinsulitron.

It is a subcutaneous application apparatus with two compartments, the first contains a modified bacteria (Escherichia coli) that performs a monitoring of the glucose levels of the person's body in real time;And the second supplies insulin offering a personalized treatment in the event that the bearer requires, mentions Ilia Xrysw Hernández Mejía, collide of the project.

Proinsulitron is size of two centimeters and is made with biocompatible materials with the human body so that they do not cause immune response in the patient and be rejected.The device combines aspects of mechanical engineering and biotechnology, managing to guarantee the proper insulin dose supply for those who need to use it.

Recently this project has been the winner of the Silver Medal in the Health category in the Student Contest of Synthetic Biology organized by the International Genetically Engineered Machine (IGEM) Foundation.

Proinsulitron is the joint work of university students from various careers such as biomedicine, medicine, genomic sciences, engineering and chemicalopharmacobiology.

fer's profile photo
fer
01/22/2016 10:40 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

If this became a reality ... Bomreible ... but I fear much, that this will stay in just that ... a "hope" promoted by the pharmaceuticals so that we continue to "wait" ... I hope I is wrong.Although honestly, if Apple or Google X took out your continuous non -invasive meters, or the famous slows, I would give myself the same thing: D

Marcos_J_M's profile photo
Marcos_J_M
01/22/2016 1:58 p.m.

Marcos - 26 años - Debut a los 14
Sevilla - HbA1c 5.5

As I have read on other websites, it must be filled with bacteria every 24 hours, and although they do not explain it anywhere, in the video it seems that these bacteria release a substance that pushes an envelope that looks like a syringe and releases the insulin that I imagine should bealso recharged daily.

Also in the video and on the websites, only the computer made by the computer developed is seen.That is, obviously, it has not even been tested even in animals.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
01/22/2016 7:42 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

And that this type of people follow here ...

Marcos_J_M's profile photo
Marcos_J_M
01/23/2016 3:50 a.m.

Marcos - 26 años - Debut a los 14
Sevilla - HbA1c 5.5

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.