{'en': 'Capsules with human cells manage to normalize type 1 diabetes in mice', 'es': 'Cápsulas con células humanas logran normalizar la diabetes tipo 1 en ratones'} Image

Capsules with human cells manage to normalize type 1 diabetes in mice

fer's profile photo   01/31/2016 10:55 a.m.

United States researchers have tried for the first time in diabetes mice the potential of capsules with insulin producing cells derived from human stem cells, pancreatic islets, to keep long -term blood sugar levels controlled in the need without the need to use drugsimmunosuppressants.

The authors remember in an article published in the 'Nature Medicine' magazine that people with type 1 diabetes have a hyperactive immune system that destroys these insulin producing cells in the pancreas.This causes the body to not convert sugars into energy and causes a dangerous increase in blood glucose levels.

The pancreatic islet transplant has already been used to treat this disease, but patients should take immunosuppressive medications to contain their immune system and avoid destroying transplanted cells.

A previous work had demonstrated in mice that the implementation of these cells could serve to normalize sugar levels without immunosuppression if they were covered by a hydrogel that would allow them to avoid the immune system of the host organism.

In this new work, in which scientists from the Massachusetts Technology Institute (MIT), the Boston Children), that made the islets even more resistant to the healing of the tissues.

When implementing them in a diabetes mouse model, they saw that the cells were able to maintain adequate blood glucose control for 174 days, which would be equivalent to several decades of life in humans.

"It is a very promising step towards an eventual cure for diabetes, but much more evidence is needed to ensure that these cells do not become cancerous," said José Oberholzer, one of the study authors.

Once again ... who was a mouse !!!!L-)

fer's profile photo
fer
01/31/2016 10:55 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

They always say the same, in mice, in rabbits, in pigs ... etc.
When are you for humans?!
But, very good work Fer!

OscarelGato's profile photo
OscarelGato
01/31/2016 1:50 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Oscarelgato said:
always say the same, in mice, in rabbits, in pigs ... etc.
When are you for humans?!
But, very good work Fer!

Because when it is demonstrated effective and that does not create more problems than it is.

Con_Q_de_quimica's profile photo
Con_Q_de_quimica
02/01/2016 3:14 p.m.

And why don't we let us try it, personally assuming the risk?

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
02/02/2016 1:22 a.m.

I believe that the biggest problem is the supply of pancreatic cells.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
02/02/2016 2:48 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Is that not something that could be donated when dying, (pancreatic islets)? ... there would be no supply problems ...

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
02/02/2016 11:21 a.m.

roar said:
Is that not something that could be donated when dying, (pancreatic islets)? ... like that there would be no supply problems ...

The truth is that I do not know the time that beta cells after death, but as little sure would force the receiving person to take immunosuppressants for life.

Con_Q_de_quimica
02/02/2016 11:46 a.m.

roar said:
And why don't they let us try it, personally assuming the risk?

Because until it is studied, it is not known what risk it assumes, and also, even letting you "try" if something happens (eg, cancer), it could be complicated to determine if it has been due to treatment or anywayYou would have the same.The steps that occur can be desperate, but there are weight reasons to do so.

Con_Q_de_quimica
02/02/2016 11:52 a.m.

Thanks for the answers.I did not know that the technique of pancreatic islet capsules including taking immunosuppressants for life (have I understood well?).If so, it may not be so good technique ...

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
02/02/2016 9:25 p.m.

If they are encapsulated to protect them from the autoimmune attack, they will not take immunosuppressants ..
If they had enough cells for everyone .., and for spare parts..
I still see it a bit far ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
02/02/2016 9:42 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

roar said:
thanks for the answers.I did not know that the technique of pancreatic islet capsules including taking immunosuppressants for life (have I understood well?).If so, it may not be so good technique ...

I misunderstood the question, if they put islets "hair" they would be needed, encapsulated

Con_Q_de_quimica
02/02/2016 9:52 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.