{'en': 'Diabetes: Three factors that increase the risk of renal injury', 'es': 'Diabetes: tres factores que aumentan el riesgo de lesión renal'} Image

Diabetes: Three factors that increase the risk of renal injury

fer's profile photo   11/30/2016 7:49 p.m.

Patients with diabetes and suffering from acute renal injury (LRA), proteinuria and non -controlled blood sugar experience a strong reduction in the number of years with a healthy renal function before being forced to dialysis, according to Facultyof Medicine of the University of Cincinnati (UC), in the United States.

The UC research team examined 3,679 people with type 2 diabetes of a cohort of patients identified at the Cincinnati Veterans Affairs Medical Center, United States, and who were followed for a period of ten years, explains Charuhas Thakar,Professor and Director of the Kidney Care Program of the UC Nephrology Division.

The three risk factors were used-the LRA, proteinuria (loss of protein in the urine) and blood sugar control-to classify patients into three groups.Patients with diabetes who did not have any of these risk factors were compared to a group that presented the three risk factors (serious risk) and another that had only one or two of the risk factors (average risk).

"There are risk factors established in diabetes literature. One of them is the level of sugar control, if you do not control your sugar well, your renal disease progresses faster or if you lose protein in the urine and have proteinuria, it tendsTo be an independent predictor of kidney disease in diabetics, "says Thakar.

A loss of 5 percent annual renal function

Usually, a 50 -year -old person with type 2 diabetes without any of the risk factors has a renal function of around 60 percent and is likely to lose renal function in around 1.9 to 2 to 2percent annual, says Thakar.This means that this individual would be between 25 and 30 years before renal insufficiency leads him to need dialysis, allowing the patient to have normal renal function up to 80 years.

But if the same individual with diabetes suffers the three risk factors, the loss of renal function would accelerate almost 5 percent per year, Thakar adds.This means that the patient would need dialysis within 12 years, at the age of 62.For a patient with two of the three risk factors, there is still an average risk of accelerated loss of renal function, he explains.

"This is a great impact for a patient. We are talking about a cut of 18 to 20 years at the time a person has to go to dialysis. It is very important information for a patient and a doctor. The study is oneOf the first to examine the interrelation between these traditional risk factors in relation to their effect on the progression of kidney disease, "explains Thakar, author of the investigation.

The first author of the Research and Fourth Year of Medicine at the University of Cincinnati, Mollie Sands, presented the conclusions at the Necum of the American Society of Nephrology, which is held in Chicago, United States.Anthony Leonard, assistant family medicine professor, is co -author.

Thakar states that patients with diabetes and chronic kidney disease are among the most vulnerable to acute renal injury when they are hospitalized.Therefore, he believes that doctors should consider the possibility of analyzing patients with diabetes who have different separate risk factors and the design of custom strategies to supervise and treat them.

fer's profile photo
fer
11/30/2016 7:49 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

It sometimes scares me for the sport that can harm them as they comment.There are many years of diabetes more this now.

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
12/01/2016 12:07 a.m.

Miembro del equipo moderador del foro.

Ultima prueba realizada:
Maratón San Petesrburgo (Rusia)
https://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/07/maraton-san-petersburgo-rusa-42195-mts.html

Prueba deportiva Ruta de las Fortalezas.
http://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/05/ruta-de-las-fortalezas-2019-54700.html

Facebook: Jorge Moto
Usuario Dexcom G6 y microinfusora Tandem T: Slim X2 Basal IQ

@"JCONEGAR" I am also afraid since for my lifestyle of gym, work and such I usually have proteins in urine ...:-?
And the truth is that many problems we have already to take all this into account.It is too much

Marcos_J_M's profile photo
Marcos_J_M
12/01/2016 3:32 a.m.

Marcos - 26 años - Debut a los 14
Sevilla - HbA1c 5.5

Once again, I'm going to comment:
@jconegar, @Marcos_J_ M, my dear friends and flia;Do not be afraid of consequences/dbtcs !!!I only give you an example: "The rabbit runs quickly and very soon! And the turtle is very slow and .............. live (I think) more than 350 !!"
A doctor told me, almost, when I started this "sweetness", and even, then d more 55ans, I have no problem in my rignons !!!!It is only necessary: ​​order, perseverance, moderation and responsibility with yourself !!!I encourage my dear ones, not to faint for anything and move on to get very far !!!This is brave and warriors !!!!And you are like me !!!!;)

ani's profile photo
ani
12/01/2016 8:49 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

You are the best @"Ani" a big hug !!!

Marcos_J_M's profile photo
Marcos_J_M
12/01/2016 12:08 p.m.

Marcos - 26 años - Debut a los 14
Sevilla - HbA1c 5.5

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.