{'en': 'Uncontrolled diabetic', 'es': 'Diabético descontrolado'} Image

Uncontrolled diabetic

rocot's profile photo   12/24/2016 10:49 a.m.

Hello., I am the son of an 86 -year -old person with type 1 diabetes for more than 20 years.

After a long time, I have decided to contact other people in search of a help that I hardly find in doctors.

My father's main problem is undoubtedly obsession, rather than diabetes.He has become his life, his only "distraction."It does nothing but continuously control (never less than 3 and usually 5 or up to 8 times a day), see that it has it low, eat, see it high, start walking through the hall of the house for hours for hours, measure yourself, eat, ...
But once this is clarified, there is a more physiological issue that escapes me.It has been injected with 22 units of Trebisa for months (very slow action insulin) and punctually, when at noon before eating it has it above 200, 2 or 3 units of actrapid (fast -acting insulin) to compensate.It is necessary to clarify at this point that has passed through 3 hip operations and that at their age they will not put another new prosthesis and that those that have already spent.He is doing between 1 and 2 hours of walks up to date and that is taking away mobility, he is wearing him some hips that he will never be able to recover and I have recommended that he control his sugar levels from other fronts, which he cannot continue doing all thatexercise.

The point is that controlling the food and with the 22 units of Tresiba, many mornings gets up with 50. As soon as he gets up, he eats something to recover and the rest of the day moves between 100 and 180 that is very good for him.But for example, 2 days ago he had a long"Prohibited" and the exercise he did, continued with 200 in the morning.

What I want to go is that there is no way to find a balance.Do what you do, certain days, without a reason that we can explain, it has levels that deviate much from the average, all that without wanting to think the levels that will reach mid night after dinner a lot for fear of getting up with the decline.

Anyway ... we are going very badly and needed to tell somewhere in search of help beyond the endocrine that treats it like an animal and do not go beyond the numbers.My father has a tendency to shoot the levels, both up and down, without an apparent explanation for us.
Is this normal?

Thank you very much and greetings :-)

rocot's profile photo
rocot
12/24/2016 10:49 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

First tell you and do not offend that I think you have no idea what diabetes is, nor are you aware to determine an uncontrolled diabetic or not.What your father does with 86 years is what is necessary to continue living in an acceptable way as a person without diabetes.Telling you that in diabetes there is no "balance" and who tells you that there will be lying to you.In diabetes there are no equal days.Second all diabetics break our heads daily to be in optimal values, these values ​​are so millimeter that they often instill fears and the greatest of them is to suffer nocturnal hypoglycemia.Third the insulin adjustment is not easy, the endocrine is the qualified "professional" to guide dose, but as I say one day it is not equal to another and there are many external circumstances that vary blood glucose.From Tresiba it can cause hypos and one of less the opposite, we must balance with exercise and food, but that adversities few endocrine take them into account and believe that we are sedentary, routine or robots.
I do not believe that the title corresponds to the content unless there is more than that it eats excessively at all hours and without control, etc ... but if you have not narrated it it will be that it is not so.I think that the perception of the disease for you is not the same as the people who suffer or live it very close.All the best.

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
12/24/2016 7:13 p.m.

DMT1 desde los 12 años (1991)
hbA1c= 5,4

Humalog y Toujeo (mayo 2017)
Humalog y Tresiba (mayo 2016 hasta mayo 2017)
humalog y NPH (desde inicio hasta mayo de 2016)

I think it is missing fast insulin in meals., Although at that age they do not put it to avoid hypoglycemia.
Hyperglycemia at 86 would not be so harmful.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/25/2016 3:04 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

luvi said:
first tell you and do not offend that I think you have no idea what diabetes is, nor are you aware to determine an uncontrolled diabetic or not.

I am not going to offend for a welcome message like this since it is certainly true.I am not diabetic but I live with my father's diabetes 20 years ago.And as I am clear that "disease" is one who creates it (pancreatic insufficiency is what it is, you can do nothing but feel "sick" and not enjoy life is something that is ultimately in our hand), it is because ofWhat I have resorted to this forum, to listen to other voices since doctors only speak from theory and books and I want a more experiential experience that can help us.

That seems "uncontrolled" is because although for several days it achieves a certain balance between the doses of threeiba, bread and other carbohydrates and the exercise it does, after a few days (usually no more than 10)He is usually seen sudden changes such as the occurred 3 days ago where he went from getting up with an average of 80 to 340 and continuing all day and the next with high values ​​that had to compensate with rapid insulin in dose of about 3 units 1 or 2 timesA day.

regina said:
I think it is missing fast insulin in meals., Although at that age they do not put it to avoid hypoglycemia.
Hyperglycemia at 86 would not be so harmful.

It is possible.Until now, he had been with only three and rapid for months and we have incorporated this week only for the days when he has fired up and thus reduce the exercise sessions given the restrictions imposed by his osteoarthritis and his worn hips.

We have been going around the possibility that some of the three -year punctures that are put in the morning in different parts of the thigh and the abdomen (rotating) may not function as they should, something like that they are trapped somewhere in muscle orFat and are not well absorbed by the bloodstream, which makes it accumulate and have a couple of days of hyper followed by another 2 of hiccups (by the delayed action of one of the doses).

Anyway, in my opinion, the main problem of this "disease" -as of all -is obsession.Obsesting for the control of everything that surrounds us leads us to destruction and my father has turned this insufficiency in his reason for obsession.Like the one who does not touch the knob of a door and lifts the lid of the water with a glove, obsessed because the germs do not approach him, one ends up neglecting that life is passed and the worst of all, that the germs arein the air.This, like all "diseases", is nothing more than the expression that something inside is not balanced and we look abroad (control over the media: insulin, exercise, food) the way to restore it when the place where the place where the place whereYou have to act is another.But that is another song that endocrine doesn't have much idea.

In the end.Thanks for the attention and happy years :-)

rocot's profile photo
rocot
12/26/2016 10:26 a.m.

How beautiful it looks from the outside and how easy one is obsessed with his illness and does not live as a "normal" person.Do you think that any diabetic of this forum does not dream of making a normal life, living as a normal person, in which a glycemic value does not have to have constantly in the head, a 3 rule to calculate what you should eat, aCalculation to exercise and nothing happens, etc ....?You can make a consultation.
That obsession or extreme care is required by this disease, because if you calculate badVery nice.I can understand that you say that since he is 86 years to sacrifice to live for obsessing with the control of a disease, it is respectable to think about it, I applaud that your father is aware of the complications and decide to take care to the end and perhaps you shouldTo think that it makes it avoid complications and that it translates into a "burden" for you.So if taking care of yourself, it is important for a type 1 if many of those who diagnose type 2 did or have done would not have ended as type 2 or type 1.

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
12/26/2016 10:48 a.m.

hbA1c= 5,4

@"Luvi" Q Reason!I get my soul to click my girl to the time!Q say he is hungry and tell him that he can no longer ... that is not normal life, and I admire you for everything you have to happen!

T1d's profile photo
T1d
12/26/2016 10:52 a.m.

And not say the hypos!Q tids and falls that horror !!

T1d's profile photo
T1d
12/26/2016 10:55 a.m.

Dear Luvi.It is appreciated that you take your time to answer, but the truth, I had entered this forum with the illusion, hoping to find some help.When one is falling by the precipice, he hopes some tell him that there is a branch to hold up, not that someone from below tells him the ostia to hit.
Maybe I was wrong where to seek help.
Anyway, as I have a very hard head, I still trust it :-)
Anyway ... thanks

rocot's profile photo
rocot
12/26/2016 11:16 a.m.

Precipice???Explain where this alleged cliff is, because I believe that you only see you, or you are not telling everything that is or I do not understand where the cliff is.Time is just that time and if there are a lot of people that their time unfortunately and without having chosen it dedicates by and for diabetes in the first or third person most of the hours that they have one day.In addition to helping and sharing with people in their same situation with experiences, which are not equally for each diabetic but they help to see what way to choose or even dazzle the light at the end of a long tunnel.But for you to get an idea an "uncontrolled diabetic" is the one that his hemoglobin is above 8, that insulin is punctured when he wants, who eats what he wants and in quantities that feel like it without taking into account the unitsof insulin by x rations, which does not do any type of physical activity and that has principles of complications for the disease.That is an uncontrolled diabetic and that falls not because of a precipice but to the abyss.Is that the case of your father? I have not read any of this in your post, does information lack?

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
12/26/2016 11:36 a.m.

hbA1c= 5,4

@"Rocot", good day.Your question;"My father has a tendency to shoot the levels, both up and down, without an apparent explanation for us. Is this normal?"Answer;It is absolutely normal.The glycemia values ​​depend on so many variables that it is not possible to control them all.Here in the forum you will find the experience of the diabetics-not-obssessed.It is not obsession, it is our way of life.And a question, do you comment that your father uses just and sporadic fast insulin, are you sure your father is diabetic 1?Greetings.

solaria's profile photo
solaria
12/26/2016 12:05 p.m.

Debut 46 â- 2012. DM1. Celiaquía e intolerancia lactosa. Anemia perniciosa.
MiniMed 640g + SmartGuard.

Good morning @"rocot", because I join the opinion of the partners @"solaria" and @"luvi", because I have also had to endure comments related to the alleged excess control and zeal on diabetes, advice on whichYou have to relax and not obsess etc and the truth has bothers me a lot, because there is a characteristic of this disease that stands out on all of them is that it allows you to completely disconnect, and that requires control over countless daily and everyday variables, and of the degreeThe evolution of the disease depends on control depending on the evolution.
That said there is another comment in the post that has left me a little cold and it is that diabetes, such as other "diseases", is a symptom or a product of an internal imbalance.I wonder what internal imbalance presents a child with two years that condition the development of a diabetes ???You have to be careful when expressing certain ideas.Kind regards.

Ainhoa's profile photo
Ainhoa
12/26/2016 12:43 p.m.

Dulce introducción al caos...
DT 3

You can get a lot of peace of mind when treatment allows you to achieve good control and you can master the disease to some extent..If it is achieved, the concern can be minimized and allows you to live.
You have to look for the treatment that best suits., And that takes time.
It may not be actually acting uniformly, maybe the toujeo is doing well.
The injection zone is important to vary it so as not to create lipodystrophies, that absorption becomes erratic.
And the rapid at meals, according to hydrates rations, is the complement of slow insulins.
Better control would reassure him a lot.
But with a hemoglobin of 7, you can avoid serious complications the years you live.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/26/2016 12:44 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Well, I agree on many things that say the company that I do not see a great lack of control or obsession in terms of diabetes in your relative.Although it leaves me something more restless about "I do not touch a knob" or it does not open a toilet lid, for fear of germs.That if it sounds a little more about OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder), but it can simply be a mania, and as it is, it is not related to its diabetes.
That is exceeded in its physical exercise and you left everything over the hip for diabetes, I also understand that it can be one of your concerns.But I suppose he know what is done, and think that right now is the best, maybe it's just a streak.
Maybe it seems that you have turned diabetes into your obsession, but on just as you perceive it from the outside, and that you have not tried to understand the treatment well, I do not know.Have you talked to him?
There are days that are bad and good for nerves or other things you can have increases.It is also different absorption in the thigh and other areas, although I do not believe that it reaches the extreme that you comment.Anyway, it depends on a thousand things, and it is difficult to know what can be without more data.
About abusive dinners or halls ... If nightlife are very often, Aalgo is not going well and will have to readjust.You should talk to the medical team, rather than swell to eat.
As for the word of the word disease, you mean diabetes, and the occasional rare things that I have seen, I will prefer to think that you do it without evil or try to express something different from what you finally express, for not mosquear me go ... haha.

Miexron's profile photo
Miexron
12/26/2016 1:01 p.m.

DM tipo 1 desde Junio 2016 - Novorapid y Toujeo.
HbA1c: 6,2 // 30 añazos
----------------------------------------------------------------
Échale un ojo a mi web de ilustraciones sobre diabetes!: https://www.facebook.com/diabetesatiras/

@Regina "tranquility" is on droppers and you know, every day, every time slot is different, it is true that if you lead a routine life (we would already be talking about a non -normal life) you can acquire some peace of mind, with the combination of treatment (basal), rations (for each food and depending on how it acts in each being) and quick insulin to counteract those hydrates.Let's stop exalting the Tresiba and Toujeo as the miracle of diabetes control (which gives you freedom of schedule?, If it is put in a single dose?, If it is flat? At this point I disagree and I have data thatThey show it, always breakfast the same.And if I keep moving (walking) getting under food.Nothing maintains all night.
Indeed, the area where you click on or not having lipodystrophy and if you have it yet."Tranquillity"??Very little and relative any small circumstance bitter the day and lies is tranquility.

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
12/26/2016 1:22 p.m.

hbA1c= 5,4

rocot said:
Hello., I am the son of an 86 -year -old person with type 1 diabetes for more than 20 years.

After a long time, I have decided to contact other people in search of a help that I hardly find in doctors.

My father's main problem is undoubtedly obsession, rather than diabetes.He has become his life, his only "distraction."It does nothing but continuously control (never less than 3 and usually 5 or up to 8 times a day), see that it has it low, eat, see it high, start walking through the hall of the house for hours for hours, measure yourself, eat, ...
But once this is clarified, there is a more physiological issue that escapes me.It has been injected with 22 units of Trebisa for months (very slow action insulin) and punctually, when at noon before eating it has it above 200, 2 or 3 units of actrapid (fast -acting insulin) to compensate.It is necessary to clarify at this point that has passed through 3 hip operations and that at their age they will not put another new prosthesis and that those that have already spent.He is doing between 1 and 2 hours of walks up to date and that is taking away mobility, he is wearing him some hips that he will never be able to recover and I have recommended that he control his sugar levels from other fronts, which he cannot continue doing all thatexercise.

The point is that controlling the food and with the 22 units of Tresiba, many mornings gets up with 50. As soon as he gets up, he eats something to recover and the rest of the day moves between 100 and 180 that is very good for him.But for example, 2 days ago he had a long"Prohibited" and the exercise he did, continued with 200 in the morning.

What I want to go is that there is no way to find a balance.Do what you do, certain days, without a reason that we can explain, it has levels that deviate much from the average, all that without wanting to think the levels that will reach mid night after dinner a lot for fear of getting up with the decline.

Anyway ... we are going very badly and needed to tell somewhere in search of help beyond the endocrine that treats it like an animal and do not go beyond the numbers.My father has a tendency to shoot the levels, both up and down, without an apparent explanation for us.
Is this normal?

Thank you very much and greetings :-)

JVH's profile photo
JVH
01/01/2017 10:35 p.m.

Hello.I believe that you do it more or less, especially considering that this is not an exact science, which sometimes finds it hard to understand doctors.My advice: The first thing you should calculate is how many glycemia units lowers at night, to do so look at the glucose level 2 or 3 hours after dinner and then raise.In this way you will know what level you must go to bed and, if it is low or high, correct it by taking something in the first case, or with some fast insulin in the second case (1 you for every 30 or 40 points ofglycemia to go down).If you normally go down too much at night, perhaps the three of the three would have to modify.If the glycemia at 2 hours of the meals are very high, I would put some fast insulin in each shot.If before eating it is in 200 (for example), I see perfectly to manage some "extra" doses to compensate for the level, that is, if to eat I put 5 you.fast, I would add another 3 units.(8 units in total).The hip theme, if you are not interested in exercising, I would try to compensate for fast insulin in meals.If, on the contrary, it arrives with hypoglycemia at eating, take a bit of breakfast dose or take something in mid -morning.When there are very high levels of blood glucose, it costs more to lower them having meals and such, in these cases I usually eat very little and increase the fast insulin, in 3 or 4 hours I usually be compensated again .. for decompensations do not hesitate to useFast insulin.Exercise does not go well with very high blood glucose levels.Greetings.

JVH's profile photo
JVH
01/01/2017 11:09 p.m.

Hi JVH.
I have been observing their levels well for a couple of weeks, which he eats, exercise and doses.Last week he had a few days, 3 or so, in which the levels were high (between 200 and 360) that compensated with some exercise and some doses (2 or 3 u) of rapids and after those 3 days, theNext 3 was gradually going down until reaching almost perfect levels throughout the day and getting up every morning between 80 and 140 without just need of exercise (more than purchases and home tasks) and without fast insulin, only with the 22 U of Tresiba (we go down 2 U 2 weeks ago to test on the recommendation of the endocrine).
I understand that there are more factors than the 3 that we all know (insulin, food and exercise): there is stress, the place where it is click, the obsession with the disease and others that I do not even know.

jvh said:
When there are very high levels of blood glucose, it costs more to lower them having meals through and such, in these cases I usually eat very little and increase the rapid insulin, in 3 or 4 hoursI usually compensated again .. for decompensations do not hesitate to use fast insulin.Exercise does not go well with very high blood glucose levels.Greetings.

For him, not eating much is an effort since he is afraid of losing weight.In fact in the last month it has lost between 3 and 4 kg.There have been external concerns for my mother's health and the presence of the two children and I suppose that always breaks down.But one thing that we have achieved that it was nonsense but sometimes in older people the changes of habits are difficult, it is rationing the intakes.He had a 50 gr of bread breakfast and we got it to reduce it to 25-30 for mid-morning to eat another 25. That simple change of 3 to 5 meals a day has made its peaks mid-morning and afternoon disappeared and disappeared andThe second intake only does it in case of having the low levels, but endures like this until noon.The same with the snack: I never used to snack, but ate another 40-50 gr of bread (or other hydrates) at noon and now that excess of hydrates is repressed and thus can enjoy a good snack.And at night before bedtime, if the levels before dinner have been good (between 100 and 150), 2 cookies are eaten with a glass of milk to go to bed and not have descents when they get up.
Anyway ... if it were always like recent days, it would be fantastic.But we all fear that any day will rise with altered levels.At least we have achieved that those days do not become a drama and that it does not remain ingrained to walk so much to burn carbohydrates.I still think that one of the triggers is that some of the punctures of Tresiba morning do not take their effect as they should and that is why their levels are altered on the following days.
Thank you very much for the support :-)

rocot's profile photo
rocot
01/02/2017 10:33 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.