I travel to Brazil with diabetes, advice?meals?

davidmarin's profile photo   02/11/2016 11:28 p.m.

People of the forum, I'm going to encourage a long trip with diabetes, leave the country to a hot place and where I don't know how food is.

I wonder what advice they would give me?

Does anyone have any regional carbohydrate table?

tips for beach hours?

How do insulin keep during the car trip?Then do they take the rapid to the beach?

I am a little anxious to learn to enjoy diabetes and a half scared for so many things that I don't know how to control, every idea is grateful !!!!

For now I am printing all my data and hitting warnings in my visible medical things, instructions and others.

thank you!!!

davidmarin's profile photo
davidmarin
02/11/2016 11:28 p.m.

Hola, Soy David de Córdoba, Argentina, tengo 40 años y 30 de diabetes.
Uso Lantus y Apidra.

Hi Davidarin
In Brazil food is like in most Latin American countries.
I do not think you are going to notice the lack of fruits, vegetables and salads, when I was 5 years ago in Sao Paulo I had no problem eating healthy, there is everything.
In many restaurants the food sells it to weight, something that caught my attention, because they charge you according to the amount you eat and it doesn't matter if you eat fruit than if you eat veal fillets, even in some they had a plate to make youThe meat to your liking.
I would really enjoy the trip.
All the best.

Free1965's profile photo
Free1965
02/12/2016 1:07 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

free1965 said:
Hi DavidMarin
In Brazil food is like in most Latin American countries.
I do not think you are going to notice the lack of fruits, vegetables and salads, when I was 5 years ago in Sao Paulo I had no problem eating healthy, there is everything.
In many restaurants the food sells it to weight, something that caught my attention, because they charge you according to the amount you eat and it doesn't matter if you eat fruit than if you eat veal fillets, even in some they had a plate to make youThe meat to your liking.
I would really enjoy the trip.
All the best.

Good fact!It is very comfortable to use only to make the rations of hydrates!
Thank you very much Free!

davidmarin
02/12/2016 1:43 p.m.

Uso Lantus y Apidra.

Insulin can take it in the cold wallet.He is super comfortable and you can always take it with you.
Cold portfolios can be found, among other sites, in the forum store.
Foods will have the same CH in one place as in another.You will have to take into account as cooked.
You will tell how the trip was.Have a good time!

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
02/12/2016 3:06 p.m.

anaisabel said:
insulin you can take it in the cold wallet.He is super comfortable and you can always take it with you.
Cold portfolios can be found, among other sites, in the forum store.
Foods will have the same CH in one place as in another.You will have to take into account as cooked.
You will tell how the trip was.Have a good time!

Thanks Anisabel for your answer!
My question in food is more than everything in which they are different types of beans and legumes with respect to Argentina and also the sauces change according to the area, for example in Argentina in each province a meat empanada may or may not have added sugar and even theMass having sugar, also homemade sauces or mayonnaise, each place has its customs and it was difficult to measure them, but hey, it is part of the adventure!

I'm going to check the forum store!
Greetings and thanks for your time!

davidmarin
02/12/2016 3:45 p.m.

Uso Lantus y Apidra.

On the beach, with the cold bag, it is well protected.The quick always take it with you.And in handbag on the plane all with you.
Enjoy the trip!

Regina's profile photo
Regina
02/12/2016 7:47 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

regina said:
on the beach, with the cold bag, is well protected.The quick always take it with you.And in handbag on the plane all with you.
Enjoy the trip!

Thank you !=

davidmarin
02/12/2016 10:50 p.m.

Uso Lantus y Apidra.

@davidmarin, how well you report to the last detail and you will have a beautiful trip !!!Although, I think that in your 40an and 30 of DBTS, you will have traveled more than once, even if it is inland !!, I am from Sn.Jn.Rep.ARG.And as we are "neighbors" of Brazil, we do not know so much their customs !!So, good trip and you will tell us :))

ani's profile photo
ani
05/19/2016 2:46 p.m.

@ani, @davidmarin, here I leave you a topic with several tips on traveling with diabetes, I hope they serve you!

Link

;)

fer's profile photo
fer
05/19/2016 3:08 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Thank you very much Fer, I am having to go down my experience, a big hug!

davidmarin
05/19/2016 4:52 p.m.

Uso Lantus y Apidra.

Very grateful, my dear @fer for your information and a sweet greeting from me ...........

ani's profile photo
ani
05/20/2016 7:02 p.m.

I share a little experience

Trip conditions against
1) As he was invited to a hyperexpontaneous group, 90% of meals, places, times and breaks were unpredictable.
2) The electric refrigerator we carry for the car consumed a lot of battery, so it only works when the car is running.
3) The trip had no previous schedule or idea ... only Brazil without a fixed place.So I could not provide for provisions, etc.

My solutions

1 Have the highest of specific information by hand, without depending on batteries or devices
Then I printed everything
Hydrates counting tables
How many hydrates consume a 15 min walk
How many mg/l low 1 u of insulin
And all the data that I sometimes do not remember or I can doubt at the time.

2 to regulate the risks of hypoglycemia
Carry small fast hydrates like sweet cookies
Small slow hydrates as whole grains
Coca Cola in a container that is not from Coca Cola so that anyone takes it careless (we were 10 little respectful people of the hahaha territories)

3 soluble fiber to add to meals that do not have enough

4 water all the time could to keep the body in good metabolic condition

5 backpacks, a mini and a big one, the little girl for fast walks carry the indispensable, and the big one for when "it is not known" when we returned to the car.

6 If I knew that at night we had dinner in a place where the food was very against diabetes (pizzas for example) made enough gymnastics close to the possible schedule,

7 Take advantage of every moment where you could sleep a little, (travel sections, beach) to regulate the poor quality of sleep

8 Do not use the ice cream makers that I did not have control, (it already happened to me that in a house a visitor changed the insulin and put a frozen bag above spoiling it), and if it is my turn to use it with thermal bags but not to allow so much cold, that is, shelter the insulin inside the refrigerator, or hide it with the vegetables with 10000 labels although no one reads them)

9 sugar overdes

10 Make a pact with the most conscious relative and leave him a duplicate of insulin, papers, emergency sugar etc, and just ask for favors or aid that relative to avoid oblivions or unintentionally carelessness

11 Carry batteries and twice reactive strips of what it usually uses.

What happened
I was never with the food for hours or balanced but still my values ​​were quite well, people never wantedhave at hand.

Sleeping was very complicated and it was what complicated the values ​​most, to bed 5 hours after midnight ... get up early in 3 hours and so for days, that did affected me and more than once I rejected some activity and I stayedSleeping in the car while the family visited a non -priority place for me (I like beaches, but shopping malls or large cities) so take advantage of those visits as sleep recovery.

Not everything was simple to enjoy, the electric refrigerator failed the second night so I had to improvise, I took advantage that a guest was a beer fan and I bought Sixpacks that I was using 1 can as a refrigerant keeping the other 5 together forthat they endured more and gave me good hours of temperature autonomy (it helped that I took a thermometer to verify that it was going well) and that I had carried a second small hand refrigerator then with cold drinks could be acclimatizing to need (which was planned fordo on the beach, but implemented all day)

The enormous temperature ofAuto when he had to turn it off, it was hard to fight

Hotels ice cream shops where the temperature was excessively cold caused me to prefer to use the air conditioning and leave insulin on the floor

Measure the first two days how much glucose lowers me in the sea, I forced myself to return to the beach every half hour for a couple of hours and know the real expense to avoid hypos, and if or do measure myself prior to getting into.

Measure how much I consumed walking on the beach (which is much higher than walking on the regular floor, it is seen that the thighs are used much more)

It was vital for Stress to take music to isolate me when I was angry, I had problems with a couple of passengers from the car and I could not have a mental space of retireI put my music and made me asleep ... indispensable with my character hehehe

Well this are some things that I remember ... I'm going to look for the values ​​that I scored on the trip, somewhere I have them
A hug and I hope it serves some other traveler

davidmarin
05/20/2016 10:59 p.m.

Uso Lantus y Apidra.

Again it carries the cold wallet, it is very comfortable to use.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/21/2016 5:40 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

regina said:
again carries the cold portfolio, is very comfortable to use.

You know that I looked for her in Córdoba Argentina and nobody gave me any data, and I got the travel date at the time without that comfort ...

davidmarin
05/21/2016 5:43 p.m.

Uso Lantus y Apidra.

You can find it on the Internet, insulin cold wallet.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/21/2016 6:14 p.m.

Regina, the one that is achieved here has a really high price, it hardly makes sense to pay $ 1000 ... I think there must be something more normal in its value Link

davidmarin
05/21/2016 6:33 p.m.

Uso Lantus y Apidra.

Ufff, that's nonsense.There must be more pages. They have less than 30 e

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/21/2016 8:01 p.m.

Buy online, so for the next trip you don't have to be so pending.M seems very good all the measures you took.Was it the first time you traveled?Let's see if you enjoy the next.Everything must be taken into account, but nothing happens because a few days you can't take your diet.

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
05/21/2016 8:58 p.m.

anaisabel said:
buy it online, so for the next trip you don't have to be so pending.M seems very good all the measures you took.Was it the first time you traveled?Let's see if you enjoy the next.Everything must be taken into account, but nothing happens because a few days you can't take your diet.

Hi Anaisabel, online I came out ... $ 1000 Argentine pesos which was really illogical to feel stolen.
It was my first trip of almost 20 days and without absolute control or scheme of anything, the truth is that I am very little instructed in many things, and surely looking for little practical solutions, but they are the only ones I imagined at the time.The truth is that I usually hyper strict with my diet, I do not get a bit flexible, it is simpler mentally to make it strict, but I do understand your point of not entering stress or worrying when you cannot ... thanks for your pointof view, it is useful to me

davidmarin
05/22/2016 3:27 a.m.

Uso Lantus y Apidra.

regina said:
ufff, that is nonsense.There must be more pages.

I compared the price of my country with Europe and it was crazy the difference, I will find it or sure some acquaintance will travel and I will ask for the favor, thanks Regina

davidmarin
05/22/2016 3:29 a.m.

Uso Lantus y Apidra.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.