Proliferative retinopathy and pregnancy

Maruchita's profile photo   03/19/2016 4:30 p.m.

Hello everyone!My name is Maru, I have diabetes since the age of 15, in adolescence it was very difficult to have control over my health, and today I am already controlled and I am also starting to look for a child with my partner.My fear is because I have quite advanced proliferative retinopathy, I already made 3 Lucentis applications.My last HBA1C are approximately 6 points.I would like to know if they know of any experience similar to mine?I am very afraid but also a lot to be a breast.
Thank you!!

Maruchita's profile photo
Maruchita
03/19/2016 4:30 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

You don't say if you have been photocoagulated with laser.In case of advanced RDP, it is essential that a retinal panfotocoagulation be made with laser, with a priority character.It will also be necessary to deal with intravitreal injections of Lucentis or Avastin (give the same result), and possibly a vitrectomy if complications arise, but only with Lucentis or any antivegf nothing will be achieved.
Pregnancy is an added risk factor for retinopathy.It is better than before it occurs, the retinal situation is stabilized

Javier Arriaga Sanz's profile photo
Javier Arriaga Sanz
03/19/2016 5:44 p.m.

Before the Lucentis applications, both eyes were.My last injection was 12/28/15, my last visit to the retinology was on Monday 14/3 and told me that it is controlled and that for now I do not need injections.
My diabetologist before yesterday told me to begin to take folk acid.(To take care of the baby, in case it arrives)
But I am very afraid of losing vision.That's why I wanted to know well what can happen, because I don't know anyone who has the same.
Thank you!

Maruchita
03/19/2016 5:48 p.m.

If these Panfotocoagulated, you are already protected enough.The pathological retina is already annulled and all the oxygen that reaches the eye, is intended for the remaining retina that is the one that you preserve.With those premises, from the ocular point of view, there are no obstacles to pregnancy.Luck!

Javier Arriaga Sanz's profile photo
Javier Arriaga Sanz
03/19/2016 6:54 p.m.

maruchita said:
before Lucentis applications Panfotocoagular both eyes.My last injection was 12/28/15, my last visit to the retinology was on Monday 14/3 and told me that it is controlled and that for now I do not need injections.
My diabetologist before yesterday told me to begin to take folk acid.(To take care of the baby, in case it arrives)
But I am very afraid of losing vision.That's why I wanted to know well what can happen, because I don't know anyone who has the same.
Thanks!

Hello Maruchita!For a long time I have been writing for a long time, but I write to know if in the end you dared to go for the baby and how everything was.I also have proliferative retinopathy in both eyes, it came out because of pregnancy, and I am dying to be a mother, but I am a horrible fear of losing my vision.A kiss!

Belen82's profile photo
Belen82
01/31/2017 12:59 p.m.

Hi Belen!The truth is that I am not encouraged, I am very afraid.The doctors told me that I can get worse or little, but I can't know ... I am not sure of anything.I have terror because I see many black spots and bothers me to be open -eyed on day and when there are lights on.

Maruchita
02/03/2017 7:51 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.