50 years of living successfully with diabetes

DiabetesForo's profile photo   04/10/2016 4:18 p.m.

50 years of living successfully with diabetes
By Stephen Ponder on April 10, 2016

March 1, 2016 marks the anniversary of my habitable 50 years with youth diabetes.Half a century ago, my parents wisely took a symptomatic 9 -year -old boy to see their pediatrician so that ultimately, become a 10 -day hospital admission in a new reality that has now existed five decades.

At that time I did not expect to see this day.My private parents did not believe that it would be too long.That was what made believe in the moment.

We were probable that we were not different from other families.After all, the only reference point at that time was based on the last four decades.Recall that insulin therapy had only been about 44 years old, when they diagnosed me.The "acts of life about life with diabetes were not very encouraging. People survived diabetes, but they were confronted with new challenges. Insulin was to sustain life, but it was not a cure. A new door now opened toworld of diabetes complications.

From the beginning, I have learned to fear blindness and the kidneys fail.I got to feel that it was just my destiny.But as I later entered the School of Medicine and began to know some new ones inspire people, my perspective began to change.I began to better understand the nature of the problems I feared for ignorance.Soon I began to realize that my destiny was largely based on my own hands.Now I could shape my destiny.Knowledge has evolved in power.

Marriage, children and an occupied career soon followed.It became evident that my life with diabetes was irrevocably different from what would have happened in its absence.And as the experiences of life developed it became clear that I had begun to recover my life from the claws of my previous fears.

I would lie if I said I like to have diabetes.I don't.But I like my life with diabetes a lot.I like it or not, diabetes has shaped what I am and that I have been able to help over the last 35 years as a health care provider.

In the natural order of the world, he should have died half a century ago.But this did not happen.Because?I assume that I am going to find out when I meet my creator.What I know is that I have a purpose.

Mark Twain said that the two most important days in life are the day that is born and the day to find out why.I feel that now I know why I am here.And that consciousness is one of my greatest gifts from God.

For all those who read this, my message for you is that a well -lived life with diabetes (and many other chronic diseases), is largely at your disposal.Every day is a gift.Each family member or a friend is a treasure of incalculable value.We can all make a difference.

With or without diabetes, life is a series of options.Choose well.Hug today and appreciate every dawn.

Now I have to be ready for work and get the garbage.Having a splendid day everyone, I got up today.Therefore I have won another day about diabetes.

Diabetes: I have your number!
Here is the next 50 years: one day at the same time.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
04/10/2016 4:18 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Well I go to 45 and wanting to continue fighting with her.

DiabetesForo
04/10/2016 4:20 p.m.

Google Translate?:-?

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
04/10/2016 5:57 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

@ Carlos 71 Congratulations !!!!!For all those years of experiences with diabetes.

DiabetesForo
04/10/2016 5:57 p.m.

What a nice text @Carlos71!Thanks for sharing it.:)

ceciii's profile photo
ceciii
04/10/2016 6:02 p.m.

Wow congratulations when I started I thought I wouldn't pass from the age of 20., Now I see that if possible., Thank you

Hilda's profile photo
Hilda
04/10/2016 6:02 p.m.

aliciaalicia said:
@ Carlos 71 congratulations !!!!!For all those years of experiences with diabetes.

I doubt that Carlos, having 44 years, has lived 50 years of experiences with diabetes.: D

It is a text that has "translated" from a famous American doctor who studies medicine after catching diabetes and has written some books.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
04/11/2016 1:21 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

If in the second line the title says "By Stephen Ponder" ... that as says @Sherpa41 is an American child endocrinologist who has type 1 diabetes since the age of 9, and who wrote a book called Sugar Surfing ....
But just like @aliciaalicia I had understood that I was going for 45 years with diabetes: D

ceciii's profile photo
ceciii
04/11/2016 6:52 p.m.

It is indeed a text that I read yesterday in English and I liked it.I have only tried to share it in Spanish.I go for 45 years with diabetes and it was detected with 5 years.Hehehe how old are I ???

DiabetesForo
04/11/2016 7:50 p.m.

If the contribution @Carlos71 ... and I congratulate you for all these years with diabetes, we surely have a lot to learn from you.:)

ceciii's profile photo
ceciii
04/11/2016 8:10 p.m.

Carlos71 said:
It is indeed a text that I read yesterday in English and I liked it.I have only tried to share it in Spanish.I go for 45 years with diabetes and it was detected with 5 years.Hehehe how old are I ???

So the "71" is for the year of your debut and not for your age?I didn't expect it.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
04/11/2016 10:39 p.m.

@Carlos71
Congratulations on your 50 meet!!!
Hahahaha that mess, thanks for the translation.@Ceciii yes I also confused.Thanks @Serpa41.

DiabetesForo
04/12/2016 12:49 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.