{'en': 'Diabetes: The 10 myths of insulin', 'es': 'Diabetes: Los 10 mitos de la insulina'} Image

Diabetes: The 10 myths of insulin

fer's profile photo   03/07/2017 1:38 p.m.

Insulin cures diabetes.Lie, there is no cure for this disease.

Mexico is the country in Latin America with the highest number of deaths caused by diabetes.And around this disease there are a lot of myths, such as those referring to insulin.

Insulin is a hormone that has a relevant function in the metabolic process and is produced by the pancreas.

The main fear of insulin is that they believe it will do more damage.However, much of what is said is a lie.

What are the 10 myths of insulin?

1. Using insulin means that you have failed.Diabetes is a progressive disease, therefore insulin is necessary.

2. Insulin causes complications.On the contrary, it helps prevent severe problems.There is no relationship between complications with the use of insulin.

3. If you use insulin it means that diabetes has worsened.With this disease increases the risk of heart disease.The use of insulin combined with other elements, controls the disease.

4. The injections are very painful.They can be frightening at the beginning, over time you will get used to and fear will disappear.

5. Insulin will not improve my health.It is the fastest and most effective method of reducing glucose levels.

6. Insulin will set limits in my life.The truth is that diabetes is the one that limits, insulin can offer some freedom.

7. If I use insulin I will have hypoglycemia episodes (low glucose levels).Good insulin use will avoid adverse reactions, in addition severe hypoglycemia is rare in people with type 2 diabetes.

8. Insulin fattens.If you rely on a good diet, you can avoid a weight rise.

9. If I use insulin, I will never stop using it.You should know that in some cases it is a temporary treatment.On the other hand, once the blood glucose levels of a person are under control, it is possible to reduce the dose.

10. Insulin cures diabetes.Lie, there is no cure for this disease.

fer's profile photo
fer
03/07/2017 1:38 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Man, that you get used to punctures ... pssss, but hurt, sometimes hurt, sometimes more.

And lately if it is around my head if the body gets used to insulin.I mean, we know that the body adapts to hypos and hypers and we may stop feeling the symptoms in the long run.Does the insulin happen the same?If you give your body more insulin will adapt and ask you more, so you can not reduce it?

pike's profile photo
pike
03/07/2017 2:46 p.m.

DM1 desde 2015-Novorapid 2/2/2/2-Toujeo(en proceso)-Mañana
Glucosilada 4/2017: 7,2

I can say about the bolis needles, and I don't even notice them, the ones that are not used are the punctures on my fingers to get the drop of blood !!!

About insulin, I imagine that if you get a lot, you eat more, and therefore you get fat, but it does not sound to me to have a problem of having to put yourself more without effect ...

fer's profile photo
fer
03/07/2017 3:20 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Fer, always get along the edges of the fingers, never in the yolk.You will see how pain decreases and much.

patcrpt's profile photo
patcrpt
03/20/2017 12:45 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.