New combination of drugs against type 2 diabetes

fer's profile photo   05/06/2016 11:38 a.m.

People with type 2 diabetes treated with insulin more metformin have a lower risk of death and heart events compared to diabetics treated only with insulin, according to a new study conducted by the University of Cardiff, the United Kingdom.

Directed by Professor Craig Currie, from the University Medicine School, retrospective research analyzed people with type 2 diabetes treated with insulin with or without metformin from the year 2000 onwards.12,020 people were identified from a general practical practical source and the team followed them for three and a half years, from the moment the first insulin is prescribed.

The researchers found that when used together with insulin, metformin has the potential to reduce heart attacks and mortality.They also found that there was no difference in the risk of cancer among individuals treated with insulin as a unique therapy or in combination with metformin.

Professor Currie points out: "Since 1991, the rate of use of insulin in type 2 diabetes has increased more than six times in the United Kingdom. In more recent years, metformin has also been used together with insulin as a treatment."

"Previously, our work showed that high doses of insulin are linked to heart attacks, mortality and cancer. Existing studies have also shown that metformin can attenuate the risks associated with insulin," he explains.

"In this research we analyze the dose of insulin, together with the impact of the combination of insulin with metformin. We found that there was a considerable reduction of deaths and heart problems when this cheap and common drug is used together with insulin," he emphasizes.

"Although this research indicates the potential for the use of these treatments together, more studies are needed to determine the risks and benefits of insulin in type 2 diabetes and the possible benefits associated with the administration of metformin together with insulin," adds theCurrie Professor.

fer's profile photo
fer
05/06/2016 11:38 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Hello @fer I am a well -controlled type 1 diabetics but with some peaks of up to 300 or more after meals, especially breakfast ..., and that I triple the fast insulin units, 12 for breakfast coffee with milk and milkToasted with tomato.A month ago I started with Tresiba and I do very well, the nights are often perfect, the problem is postprandial increases.The Wednesday Dia 4 went to the endo and has put a pill to the day of Jardia ... is a pharmac used in type 2 diabetics ... I started yesterday, ... well ... the result is bestial! ..I had to reduce the rapid (nonorapid), I have not reached 150 throughout the day, I had to eat between hours and some controlled descents having to take glucosport to face a walk ... It has been an absolutely extraordinary day,The effect is huge and today I have acted in a different way after yesterday's experience ... I have punctured less (6 at breakfast) postprandial... if someone is trying with this combination of pharmacists ... (Tresiba, Novorapid, Jardiance ...) and takes longer than I would like to know how it is going
KIND REGARDS

nuria_NBA's profile photo
nuria_NBA
05/06/2016 4:49 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@nuria_nba @fer

Hello, I am ethical type 1, and lately with 7, 5 glycosilad hemoglobin.
The truth only increased on an empty stomach and a little because 2 units.Pars go down.

What refers to sdensminating the risk of death of attack to the heart ??.
What does insulin infer to the heart?

It is supposed to avoid insulin hyperglycemia, it is not clear to me the title

Patri_msa 's profile photo
Patri_msa
11/02/2021 5:31 a.m.

Diabetica T1 debut 2017. Tratamiento desde enero 2018.
Basal Nph y ajustes Novorapid.

patri_ms said:
@nuria_nba @fer

Hello, I am ethical type 1, and lately with 7, 5 glycosilad hemoglobin.
The truth only increased on an empty stomach and a little because 2 units.Pars go down.

What refers to sdensminating the risk of death of attack to the heart ??.
What does insulin infer to the heart?

Insulin is supposed to avoid hyperglycemia, it is not clear to me the title

I have the same doubt.I would like to know what relationship between insulin and heart attacks.

matrix's profile photo
matrix
11/07/2021 4:28 p.m.

Desde México. DB2. Metformina c/ 12hrs. No insulina. HCG22/02/21: 9.0. HCG 18/04/21: 7.4

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.