{'en': 'Diabetes multiplies by three the risk of gum diseases', 'es': 'La diabetes multiplica por tres el riesgo de enfermedades en las encías'} Image

Diabetes multiplies by three the risk of gum diseases

fer's profile photo   04/27/2017 10:17 a.m.

People with diabetes have three times more risk of periodontitis, so the health of the mouth and gums should be very taken into account by these patients as are periodic eye reviews or the care of the diabetic foot.

Experts from scientific societies of diabetes and periodontics, pharmacists and patients, who have presented the Oral Health Decalogue 'take care of the gums, controls diabetes from the pharmacy office' have notified this Tuesday.

The document indicates that patients who come to the pharmacy without a previous diagnosis of diabetes, but with obvious risk factors for type 2 diabetes and periodontitis signs -sang or redness of gums, bad breath, mobility or separation of teeth-,,They should be informed about their risk of having diabetes.

In addition, they have to be advised that they undergo an exhaustive oral exam, according to the decalogue in which the Spanish Periodontics Society (SEPA) and the Spanish Diabetes Society (SED) have participated.

The document pays special attention to risk groups such as children and adolescents with diabetes and pregnant women.

It recommends that minors with diabetes take an annual oral exam from 6-7 years and pregnant women are treated to avoid the usual periodontal diseases during the state of gestation.

The International Diabetes Federation (IDF) points out that one in two cases of diabetes in adults is not diagnosed, "a figure that highlights the need for pharmacy professionals to have tools to detect, prevent and improve the diagnosis of diabetes", according to Spanish experts.

Also, with the new decalogue they want to show the pharmacy office as "an ideal place from which to perform early detection" and the patient's derivation towards the corresponding health professionals and associations.

fer's profile photo
fer
04/27/2017 10:17 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Personally in my teenage time ... 8- |(time when I got to have glycosilada at 8 %) I presented a gingivitis picture, after regular treatment and cleaning as well as the comprehensive control of my diabetes, the problem ceased.I currently go to my reviews with the dentist and I do a deep cleaning 1 time a year (in the previous years there were two cleanings) since it develops quite tartar in the back of the teeth.Otherwise everything perfect!

Greetings to which we are diabetic every day:*

patri_caracol's profile photo
patri_caracol
05/01/2017 2:03 p.m.

Azucarada desde los 5 añitos
21 años manipulando agujas!
Toujeo 34u / Novorapid 15u diarias + ó -
App diario para control de diabetes mySugr
Última Hemo: 6,1 % OBJETIVO SUPERADO!!
A esforzarse que VAMOS A SER PAPIS!!!

Un saludo a los que día a día somos diabéticos :x

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.