Help Continuous Measurement Devices

migueGC's profile photo   05/19/2016 1:55 a.m.

Hello good !My name is Miguel, I am from Argentina and I am recently diagnosed with diabetes (associated with quiet fibrosis), yesterday I began to insulinize, I do Lantus for the whole day (2 U. Although tomorrow they will upload it to me) and novorapid for corrections.The truth is that my endocrinologist did not explain to me at all the functioning of these two insulins, or the times of action (which I was reading and learning here).
My main problem is in the automation, measurements.I need to have more constant measurements to start knowing how my body works and knowing how much I require insulin, it also bothers me terribly to prick my fingers so many times per day.I saw in the forum that they name different self -measurement devices, could they comment with first -hand info that are these elements, how do they work and what are their costs?Thank you very much!

migueGC's profile photo
migueGC
05/19/2016 1:55 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

To measure you you need a glucometer, but what are expensive are the strips. Here they give them in health centers, but they can find cheap on the Internet.
Fast insulin is put before meals, according to the rations of hydrates you eat.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/19/2016 2:11 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

I already have glucometer, but just what I point out is not to use it anymore, since it hurts my fingers and it is very uncomfortable and very little practical, I was looking for someone who has a continuous measurement device such as the Dexcom, to comment on me everything about it.

migueGC's profile photo
migueGC
05/19/2016 3:51 a.m.

Link
Link

mariah14's profile photo
mariah14
05/19/2016 8:25 a.m.

@miguegc even if you have a glucose measurement system (MCG) Free type, traditional blood measurement with glucometer and puncture is essential.They are very useful to see stories but when it comes to putting insulin it is necessary to make a blood measurement.MCG can fail and before putting insulin you have to make sure with blood measurement.

MCG costs are unfortunately high.In Spain, Abbott Free leaves for about € 120/month.The Dexcom G4 depends a lot on what the sensor lasts, it officially lasts 1 week but they usually endure 2 weeks without problems and some people take up to 4 weeks.Depending on what lasts and telling you to change the transmitter every 10-12 months, it would be around € 110-180/month.

albertot's profile photo
albertot
05/19/2016 9:47 a.m.

Hurts you?.. Well, to endure is left.As Alberto says still carrying MCG, capillary controls are necessary.When you have been getting used to some time.
Welcome to the forum!

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
05/19/2016 1:45 p.m.

@Anaisabel @albertot Thank you very much!I understand that the prick is the most precise, but I was trying to find a more practical way to start knowing me, knowing how much I go up with glycemia with which meals, in what time under, in short, know my functioning, and with the prick I can notDo it, since yesterday I click 8 times, and today I'm going 3 times and it's just 12 a.m. haha.It is not very practical, and I'm going to run out of fingers hahaha.Thank you very much for the info!

migueGC's profile photo
migueGC
05/19/2016 5:27 p.m.

Quiet that the fingers do not fall.After 14 years I still have everyone;)
If you have been normal for a short time since you feel like that.Little by little you will know how your body behaves.Until recently there were no MCG so being patient.

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
05/19/2016 5:31 p.m.

Hi @Miguegc, just add to the wise advice of my classmates that if you get only 2 units of Lantus a day it should be because you are on honeymoon or because your diabetes is more type II than type I.

If you clarify a bit of what kind is your diabetes we can advise you something better in what we know.

I say it because with the costs of the current monitoring systems I do not think it is "profitable" if you are type II and you click little insulin.Normally (although each one is a world) you will have less glucose oscillations than a type I. Obviously you will have a better control and less punctures in the fingers, but also much less silver;)

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
05/20/2016 1:12 p.m.

I just drilled my finger once a day to calibrate the Dexcom and I do not do it again until the next day.And if I forget to put the morning calibration I no longer calibrate it until the next day, 48 hours without calibration.

The Dexcom must be well known, when you have been with him for a long time when he is measuring well just looking at the graph, and you know when not.It is very precise, especially in the second and third week.

I totally trust him to inject insulin when I know he is working well.In fact, the Dexcom's last algorithm is approved to inject insulin without previous glucometer control.

Another thing is free freestyle, which I know that many people never look at their finger since it is not necessary to calibrate it.I would not trust so much after so many reports of erroneous measurements, but that will already value how good the sensor that leads to be fastened or not is working.

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
05/20/2016 3:44 p.m.

kraken said:
hello @miguegc, just add to the wise advice of my classmates that if you put only 2 units of Lantus a day it must be because you are on honeymoon or because your diabetes isMore type II than type I.

If you clarify a bit of what kind is your diabetes we can advise you something better in what we know.

I say it because with the costs of the current monitoring systems I do not think it is "profitable" if you are type II and you click little insulin.Normally (although each one is a world) you will have less glucose oscillations than a type I. Obviously you will have a better control and less punctures in the fingers, but also much less silver;)

Hi, I have diabetes associated with quiet fibrosis.Now I went up to 6 U. from Lantus per day and I approx.4 to 6 u.From Novorapid per day in corrections, I am trying to look for him.Greetings !

migueGC's profile photo
migueGC
05/23/2016 7:28 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.