{'en': 'Glucose + measure + tear + mobile.', 'es': 'Glucosa + medir + lágrima + móvil.'} Image

Glucose + measure + tear + mobile.

hijodetroya's profile photo   05/08/2017 10:41 a.m.

Glucose detection in tears thanks to the mobile

Castellón researchers are developing an optical sensor with integrable nanoparticles in the chamber of smart mobile phones.

Jesús Lancis and Gladys Mínguez, both of the Groc, and Elena Sorlí, of the University General of Castellón.

Diabetes is a chronic pathology that demands good control of risk factors, an early diagnosis of the disease and adequate therapeutic management to minimize its impact.

In this scenario, the Optical Research Group (GOC) of the Jaime I University of Castellón (UJI), the Ophthalmology Service of the General University Hospital of Castellón and the company BQ are developing the Nanotears project, focused on the design of aOptical sensor with nanoparticles, integrable in the chamber of smart mobile phones, to detect the level of glucose in the tear of diabetic people.

According to Jesús Lancis, principal researcher of the Nanotears project and GROC director, photonic technologies and devices based on the use of light "play an increasingly significant role in resolving the challenges facing current society,"Among them the toilets.

non -invasive

With this perspective, the main objective is to develop a non -invasive, compact and integrated diagnostic device in the chamber of a smartphone, which will act as a pocket laboratory with which the concentration of glucose in tear in a simple way will be measured.

To do this, the key is to manufacture nanoparticles with laser technology based on the nanometric rupture of the desired material by using a pulsed laser.The level of glucose in a tear is directly related to its level in the blood and, therefore, tears constitute a target of interest for diabetes monitoring.

"Our technology allows access to the sample that is analyzed without the need to extract blood from the patient, thus eliminating the discomfort associated with the traditional puncture, such as pain and possible secondary infections. From the scientific point of view, the challenge is the detection ofThe glucose with the necessary precision in a medium in which it is about 50 times more diluted than in the blood.

Collection of tears

The Ophthalmology Service of the General of Castellón will be responsible for supervising the activity linked to obtaining samples of diabetes, both tear and blood, to develop the new measurement tool and correlate the values ​​obtained from the glucose in tear in tearwith those of a conventional glucometer.

To initiate the sensor design, an adequate system for the patient's tear collection will be fundamental: this will be performed by a capillary of 20 microliters carefully positioned in the tear meniscThe characteristics of the sample, "explains Elena Sorlí, ophthalmologist of the General of Castellón.

Work will begin with a group of about 40 patients to make the necessary technical adjustments, and then the study with a broad group will be completed, still to be determined."In principle, the values ​​obtained from the analysis of two groups will be compared, one of diabetic patients and another non -diabetic. In general, patients with ocular surface pathology will be excluded from the study," says Sorge.

laser

Next, the samples will be transferred to the Department of Physics of the UJI, where tears will be put in contact with the functionalized quantum points andThey will apply a blue laser light or LED to the sample.This will emit a fluorescence signal and, calibrating it, the amount of glucose will be calculated to develop the optical sensor that will subsequently be incorporated into the mobile phones camera.

From this device, glucose variations can be detected simple and quickly through simple fluorescent signal intensity changes.

The final product will be very compact and based on an optical sensor that allows its integration with the camera."Similar to how a lenses is placed, the patient will extract a tear from the eye that will contact the nanocomposed, producing a fluorescence signal that will be captured with the mobile phone camera. Finally, an application will directly allow you to know directly theBlood glucose level, "Lancis concludes.

The tear composition will be obtained by generating a fluorescence signal.

Scholarship.The initiative, which will begin in September of this year, is the first of the UJI that receives a help Marie Skodowska-Curie of the individual scholarship modality of the ‘Horizon 2020 'program.

Prototype.The forecast is to have a prototype of the optical sensor before finishing the project, in mid -2019, but its marketing will depend on its effectiveness, safety and commercial interest.

Diabetes.The prevalence of diabetes in Spain is 10.6 percent in men and 8.2 in women, according to WHO data, although some studies are raised up to 12 percent on average.

Source: Link

hijodetroya's profile photo
hijodetroya
05/08/2017 10:41 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Oh really?:)) :)) :))

patri_caracol's profile photo
patri_caracol
05/08/2017 7:15 p.m.

Azucarada desde los 5 añitos
21 años manipulando agujas!
Toujeo 34u / Novorapid 15u diarias + ó -
App diario para control de diabetes mySugr
Última Hemo: 6,1 % OBJETIVO SUPERADO!!
A esforzarse que VAMOS A SER PAPIS!!!

Un saludo a los que día a día somos diabéticos :x

That they try better with a urine megaparticula in the USB C port and the finger on the fingerprint of the camera that also gets the glucose level and even if you are pregnant.For publishing nonsever news.But publish something serious, with perspective and efficiency for.How much stuffed illustrated lines is loose.

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
05/08/2017 9:31 p.m.

DMT1 desde los 12 años (1991)
hbA1c= 5,4

Humalog y Toujeo (mayo 2017)
Humalog y Tresiba (mayo 2016 hasta mayo 2017)
humalog y NPH (desde inicio hasta mayo de 2016)

I prefer not to comment .... The partner has only indicated a news that seems interesting.What is shameful that they want to tend even more than some laboratories do.

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
05/08/2017 11:18 p.m.

Miembro del equipo moderador del foro.

Ultima prueba realizada:
Maratón San Petesrburgo (Rusia)
https://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/07/maraton-san-petersburgo-rusa-42195-mts.html

Prueba deportiva Ruta de las Fortalezas.
http://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/05/ruta-de-las-fortalezas-2019-54700.html

Facebook: Jorge Moto
Usuario Dexcom G6 y microinfusora Tandem T: Slim X2 Basal IQ

Do not confuse @"jconegar" I have not made any comments regarding the partner, it is more appreciated that I post the news, because it is easy for someone to get excited, that this company or people who says will make such an artyuge, can open a website and ask for donationsso that the project is carried out and finally profit and disappear without a trace.My answer is addressed to the article, to the magazine and who signs it.It has nothing to do with the partner and that has posted it.

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
05/09/2017 5:47 a.m.

hbA1c= 5,4

Google has been investigating in lenses for more than 2 years that measure glycemia with tears from the eyes from where glucose data can be taken just like sweat, science fiction ...?I am not a doctor or researcher so I do not know.

sigsauer's profile photo
sigsauer
05/09/2017 8:51 a.m.

@sigsauer I am not a doctor, or technical, or researcher, but I wonder a thousand times because in this field you do not advance faster ... you can perform the DL HIV test in saliva ... of narcotics ... the pulsioximeter measures measures measuresThe oxygen saturation by refraction of light on hemoglobin or something just clasing your finger ... I do not understand how glucose measurement is so slow and it remains, of one forn or another, so invasive and often imprecise.Agree that the MCGs in recent years are a tremendous advance, but in my opinion and from my ignorance it advances slowly and the cake is suspiciously distributed between very few commercial houses ... it gives the impression that there was a kind of "agreement" forGo to unison.

Ainhoa's profile photo
Ainhoa
05/09/2017 9:41 a.m.

Dulce introducción al caos...
DT 3

@"Ainhoa" Totally agree, on going to the unison and not trampled one another I have no doubt

sigsauer's profile photo
sigsauer
05/09/2017 10:02 a.m.

Google has many open fronts in autonomous car research, Google Glass, etc ... but many stay in the inkwell or stop developing after presented.

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
05/09/2017 10:08 a.m.

hbA1c= 5,4

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.