{'en': 'My partner has diabetes 1 and I would like some tips', 'es': 'Mi pareja tiene Diabetes 1 y quisiera algunos consejos'} Image

My partner has diabetes 1 and I would like some tips

natitrui's profile photo   05/18/2017 7:59 a.m.

Hello everyone.I have more than two years with my boyfriend and we live together.He has diabetes from 15 years and now has 34.

He had his diabetes in the first months but it was very casual: he told me that he had gone to the doctor and asked him why and he tells me, he hadn't told you?I have diabetes since 15. I explain a little and really made me understand that for him it is not the center of his life and does not affect him much.That gave me confidence and every time I know him more gives me more confidence because he is judicious controlling the blood level and putting the injections.

Sometimes I have been filled with fear and questions, for example.about complications, life expectancy, etc.The information that I find on the network is so confused and dense that I always end up taking that concern from my mind.My boyfriend exercises every day, everything is controlled very well, the weight is normal, it always goes to their controls;I have never seen that he has relapses (or at least that I notice) - although he never tells me!Sometimes he gets up at night to take soda but has improved, sometimes sweats and gets hot and I try to take everything easy and tell him to injade or take something.The truth is that I am very ignorant in the subject and he gives me that impression that he has everything about control.So I feel without permission to go farther and I really do not want to do it because I admire him for his strength and responsibility, and I am very nervous and I do not want to add one more problem.

This week something happened to him, he began to see very badly in his eyes for a couple of hours and worry, and obviously I did not do it dramatically (although I went to work crying in the car because I love this man and I want to be able toKnow more about the subject and be able to help you when you need it without interfering with your affairs that you want to keep "yours").This episode has made me be burned, will it be doing everything right?Is it that the level of sugar is measured as necessary?etc

Yesterday I read on the subject and for example, read that there are people who have a device in their body that measures their blood.He has none of that, he only has injections and glucometer.Also, sometimes I feel that it is so sexually active and sometimes I read about that to know if your lack of sexual appetite is for diabetes or for me.I feel unfair when I judge and forget that diabetes is beyond injections and their glycometer.

I would like some guidance of you, for example, how can I identify when he has a relapse and be able to help him and how, how many times the blood must be measured, etc.Last night I cry a lot because as it may be that until now I worry and also because I love him, because he is a wonderful man and because my dreams I have them with him and at his side and I would like him to live many years to share them together ...!

THANK YOU!!!

natitrui's profile photo
natitrui
05/18/2017 7:59 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@"Nadrui", maybe, almost certainly, he is doing everything well.From what you say, it seems that he wants to reserve his illness for him alone, and that he does not accept aid.I believe that in a relationship in which it coexists so close it is important that both people know about the difficulties and possible health problems of the other person, since it is a tandem, a sharing: when one is cheerful, the other personReceive, feel it;When it is sore, too;Not only does the person suffer with the disease but the other too, and not knowing what to do or not do, or how or when to help ... Suffering increases.
In this forum you will find a lotOr perhaps he does not want to feel more weight than he already has), and he would tell him about a thing called trust.It is not an easy matter, but it is about exposing with respect what one feels.Although control and decisions are from him: he decides when he eats or not and when he has to puncture or not, you cannot decide it or press it, or anyone;He already has enough suffering.To me, for example, it bothers me a lot that they continually ask me how I am, if I have punctured or not, if I am going to measure or not ... it is saturated to feel that they are on top of you at all hours.That does not mean that I have informed my family and very close friends, and that they know that I handle myself alone, but that there will be times when I may need them, and how I can need them;and thank you to be there.I live alone, but living with someone, it seems essential to speak these things.

Hugs :-)

imara's profile photo
imara
05/18/2017 8:48 a.m.

@"Imara" Thank you very much for your advice and if I plan to talk to him, I plan to invite him to eat and express my solidarity and that for me it is very important that he has him with me, and I will always respect his decisions.I'm glad to see your answer and well, I wish you the best.The truth is that I admire them a lot, or at least my boyfriend, it is an example of life every day.

natitrui's profile photo
natitrui
05/18/2017 10:04 a.m.

@"Nadrui", good day.It seems that your boyfriend does not feel comfortable talking about his diabetes, give him time ... but that he sees you studying on the subject.Here in the forum you will find truthful information and from the point of view of the diabetic.Greetings.

solaria's profile photo
solaria
05/18/2017 11:14 a.m.

Debut 46 â- 2012. DM1. Celiaquía e intolerancia lactosa. Anemia perniciosa.
MiniMed 640g + SmartGuard.

You're welcome, @"Nadrui".Many moods and, as @"solaria" says, patience

imara's profile photo
imara
05/18/2017 1 p.m.

Hello @"Nadrui" !!
I really like your attitude of wanting to help the person you love.I personally feel super supported by my husband.At first I did not understand much of the disease and I was explaining little by little where the shots were going since you never know when it can give you a serious hypoglycemia.In our case it happened, and I think it was one of the worst days of my husband's life, because if it does not become for him ... today I would not be writing this.
What I am going to, I think you should talk to this issue seriously and stop away your disease, because the day you need your help and you don't know what to do, it can be lined but very fat.I do not want to scare you, but in my life I have had about 4 or 5 important hypoglycemia and if it is not because of my loved ones, I would not have told it.
The most basic thing I told my boy at the beginning was ...: "Honey, the slow insulin acts little by little during the day" "the quick supply in meals to prevent sugar from raising me or if they give meSome hyperglycemia equal "" insulin threatens blood sugar and glucagon (superimporting to have it in the fridge of a diabetic) is used exclusively when I lose knowledge by hypoglycemia "
"When it gives me a descent, my symptoms are ... dizziness, blurred vision, tiredness, voracious hunger, little coordination in both movements and speech, paleness, tremors, etcIt can smell bad, like fruity but badly, I orino a lot, I feel tired and with discomfort "
"I never confuse that you give you a loss of sugar with prick insulin !!!7%"" Not exceeding sweets, and sugary things, I am a diabetic person, this can harm me, but it does not mean that it is prohibited, only as when I need it or on some special occasion "" "every year or twoYears I do reviews in view, to avoid or prevent diabetic retinopathy or other eye problems "" It is a chronic disease, that is, all life with it ... It has not yet been found a cure for this disease "
I think I don't forget anything, but I think this is a summary of what I was explaining to my husband and helps me a lot to day.I hope that your boyfriend enters reason and even if he has controlled his illness, that he agrees to receive support and help from you.
PS: At the moment I have no evidence or studies that affirm that diabetes affects sexual appetite, yes, when you have a hypo or hyperglycemia evidently does not feel like hehehe.
Many kisses and forgiveness for putting this extensive message.I hope to help you!

patri_caracol's profile photo
patri_caracol
05/19/2017 12:57 a.m.

Azucarada desde los 5 añitos
21 años manipulando agujas!
Toujeo 34u / Novorapid 15u diarias + ó -
App diario para control de diabetes mySugr
Última Hemo: 6,1 % OBJETIVO SUPERADO!!
A esforzarse que VAMOS A SER PAPIS!!!

Un saludo a los que día a día somos diabéticos :x

@"Patri_Caracol" Hi -, thank you very much for your answer and tips, that helps a lot.Yesterday I told my boyfriend that I was worried and that I would like it to open more in that sense, I can help it.He is a bit stubborn and feels uncomfortable when I say things, there is another thing that he loves alcohol, he is not a drunk or anything like that, but he takes something every day and that aspect has been another fight for me.I asked him to check the liver and he did it and that's fine.Yesterday I told him to try to go down to consumption but he tells me that he and the doctors know more than me!In the end.

Your tips helps me a lot to know when you have a loss or high sugar.I have always witnessed those symptoms.He has a medicine in his refrigerator and I will investigate that it is that to be attentive because he wants control 100% and respect him.

Thank you very much again for your answers !!

natitrui's profile photo
natitrui
05/19/2017 9:29 a.m.

@"Nadrui", if it is a box with a syringe and a vial with dust to prepare a solution I imagine that it will be the glucagon kit, it is a hormone that your partner needs to injepe in case of a low glucose descent that leaves him unconsciousor unable to solve it by taking something with glucose orally.But make sure you will not confuse it with insulin !!

Link

Ainhoa's profile photo
Ainhoa
05/19/2017 11:07 a.m.

Dulce introducción al caos...
DT 3

Hi @natritui, you have to make you understand that you need minimal knowledge in case of necessity.Knowing how to act before a loss of knowledge due to hypoglycemia is something basic.Having more knowledge is expendable although highly recommended.And if he is teaching you, you can result from great support and mental relief, which sometimes comes very well.Cheer up.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
05/20/2017 4:49 p.m.

@"Carlos71" Thank you very much for the advice, I try but he is very stubborn sometimes!Maybe I get nervous and defensive when I ask him

natitrui's profile photo
natitrui
05/23/2017 9:01 a.m.

@"Nvitrui" your quiet.He respects that he wants to be autonomous in relation to his diabetes, surely as a young man he would have had negative experiences and now prefers anyone to interfere.Give him his time to open, but don't insist much because he can get angry.

Another option that endocrine recommends us is that they put sugar under the tongue so that the body is absorbing it if we are unconscious before a decrease in sugar or hypoglycemia, and call emergencies.It is easier than using glucagon since with the nerves, there are people who forget to mix the dust with the liquid and absorb it again in the syringe to be able to inject it into the abdomen.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
05/24/2017 10:32 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

@natitrui I think that all the comments they made are very useful and completely true.I, like you, have a boyfriend who also has diabetes since the age of 15.Now he has 32 and well, I'm lucky that he speaks a lot with me.I think that the most important thing, as several people said, is that you talk to the open heart, that he understands that they are a couple need to communicate in every way, and even more with something like this.From my point of view the emotional support that a couple can provide is very large!Knowing how to react calmly/correctly to hypoglysismia situations and others that may arise is very important.Tell him that all you want is a bit of empathy too, that he also puts himself in your place and understands your position, that you love him and that all you want is to share this with him.And on the other issue, I do believe that there is a relationship between diabetes and the sexual issue, it happens that changes in sugar levels do influence, you can read more about erectile dysfunction and diabetes.Therefore sometimes they want, but their body does not accompany as they would like, it is an issue that they should also speak.Every day that passes I am safer than knowledge and communication, in addition to love obviously, they are the key to leading a very normal life with a couple that has type 1 diabetes. If you like that we share more things, do not hesitate to write me.Greetings!

dani123's profile photo
dani123
06/26/2017 4:50 p.m.

I would give him time.
It seems good to me that nearby people know the disease, but for example I do not like to be asked continuously even if it is with the best intentions.

Maria elena's profile photo
Maria elena
06/26/2017 9:53 p.m.

@"Dani123" Thank you very much for your message.I have been a bit away from the forum because I have super busy with my work and studies.I feel happy, because we have similar situations, although my boyfriend is very closed.I have already talked about that and it is not that he shares a lot of his fears and emotions in terms of diabetes.As I said before, I do not want to convey worries, I think he has to deal with a lot ... I see it strong and I feel that he passes all those downs and climbs alone, without complaining or alarming me.From time to time it gives me more information, for example.That he uses different insulins for the day and night and sometimes when I feel he is sweating I ask him that if he has an insulin overdose and he tells me that yes, he relaxes and well ... I at that time try not to worry.I think I will take time and maybe that part is a bit like that ... you know, if I wouldHe feels bad ... Anyway, tell me if we can exchange numbers of WhatsApp or emails.A hug

natitrui's profile photo
natitrui
07/03/2017 2:02 p.m.

Of course @natitrui pass me your WhatsApp number or your mail and add you to share more.Hugs!

dani123's profile photo
dani123
07/03/2017 2:58 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.