{'en': 'He refuses to do sports', 'es': 'Se niega a hacer deporte'} Image

He refuses to do sports

majomamo's profile photo   05/20/2017 12:49 a.m.

Hello everyone,

We have been very concerned about our son.He is 18 years old and type 1 diabetes since 12.

Since childhood he has always played sports, but he has not been practically any physical activity for a few months, except for a sporadic.He gets angry with us if we tell him, he has gained enough weight and his controls are getting worse, and he is not controlling much what he eats.

Nor is daily controls do as it should, it has somedn to prick only 3 times.This is distressing.

We have talked to his girlfriend and tells us that he gets angry with her if he comments and that he does not plan to insist more.I know that he is of legal age but I am his mother and we are desperate.

I don't know how to act.I am even doing more sports, I am even running for the first time in my life to see if he is encouraged with me, or if he sees me that it serves as an example, but nothing.

I have to say that his father is also diabetic and does sports practically every day, before he went with the father, but now nothing.

I don't know what to do.

majomamo's profile photo
majomamo
05/20/2017 12:49 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

You can already insist everything you want, that the more you do, the less sport it will do, it will be in a stage of rebellion (bad control), in which diabetes has been able to saturate and want to see (in life) like anyboy without diabetes of his age.It is distressing and an impotence for parents to see that a child begins for no apparent reason to stop being responsible with diabetes, but redirecting that is only in his hand, in which he finds a meaning, motivation and not surrendering.They are streaks that every diabetic has had, has and will have.Much encouragement

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
05/20/2017 4:55 a.m.

DMT1 desde los 12 años (1991)
hbA1c= 5,4

Humalog y Toujeo (mayo 2017)
Humalog y Tresiba (mayo 2016 hasta mayo 2017)
humalog y NPH (desde inicio hasta mayo de 2016)

I fear that the one who does not want to do sports is a secondary problem, the main one is, as Luvi says, is that he is in a stage of rebellion in which he totally rejects his status as a diabetic, and even surely is ashamed of it andHave to prick, get controls, etc.I will have to wait for this stage to happen.It would also hurt if it came out with other diabetics, or that it was made of some association of your city, although for that you will have to convince him.

runing50's profile photo
runing50
05/20/2017 1:09 p.m.

I understand that it is a stage that is happening, in fact my husband is diabetic since the age of 5 and also passed through times, and precisely in those uncontrolled middle years he has some sequel in the view and kidney, nothing serious but there are there.And as parents we cannot stay with crossed arms, we are not all the day all day, the days pass and I do not know how the controls have.He is a very good boy and was always very responsible and example for his father who, following his debut, began to better control his diabetes.But it has been a change of attitude more than a year ago that worries us, being a boy who was always exercising at his own freedom, has done the sport that has always chosen, football many years, tennis and bicycle weekends, basketball ... of everything, we only tell you for your good.But well I hope that at some point he realizes, and reconsider, but as we are scared for a week because it was the first time he had the level so high that the glucometer gave him error ... and it does not seem that he did not give him muchImportance, but there is no other left to continue supporting him and I believe that he knows that he has us, we just want him to live his life fully and be happy like any young man of his age.Thank you.

majomamo's profile photo
majomamo
05/20/2017 6:20 p.m.

Hello,
It is possible that it has a depression or path of ... adolescence is difficult, adding a diabetes 1 complicates it, and there are many positive factors that encourage and others that sink us (and are different for each person and moment) and manyuncontrollable things.And one of the things that exhausts is, for example, to be extremely responsible.It is possible that he feels tired, fed up, exhausted, and as he says @"luvi" and @"runing50", the stages have to live each, find their own path, with the support of those who love us.Insisting and pressing it will not serve, and compare it with your father (clear reference for a child) or tell him that within many years he can be very sick either, because for him life is already difficult, and one wants to be happyIn the present.And the maturation of a person does not occur in two days, but is a long process of aňos.The best example of that is that his father, when he was young, also had similar difficulties.
It is evident that father and mother want the best for him and would like him not to suffer.Supporting implies looking for ways of approaching him, his concerns and needs, from the listening of his rhythm, something that can facilitate that he opens and trusts, instead of opposing.
And sometimes the help of a therapist person is necessary, either for the directly affected, either for the family together, to facilitate confrontation tools.
Many encouragement.A hug.

imara's profile photo
imara
05/20/2017 9:10 p.m.

Anyway, rather than playing sports, the important thing is that the controls are good.If you have stopped doing sports, you will need to raise insulin

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/21/2017 2:29 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

I also do not see the sport problem, I see worse that I do not control diabetes, the same if you stop insisting does the opposite ...

The parents are still nightmare and before that the rebellion is associated.

Leaving it a couple of months to see what happens, and if not to go to a psychologist, PQ is more a theme of adolescence and rebellion than diabetes.

aranzazuleg's profile photo
aranzazuleg
05/22/2017 1:10 p.m.

I had the rebellion a little before the 18 ... at 2 the diabetes came to me, when I started the institute to make BUP it was when I had that process of rebellion, although I angered with my mother for insisting that I control my diabetes (It was a bit heavy) ... after a couple of months, I started seeing that I was hurting myself ... I do not remember very well the reason why I understood it, I allowed me to say that, still, stillangrying with her, I thank her very much to be with me at every moment.@"Majomamo" Mood !!!Give him time and trust him, it's what my mother did ...

ctomasc's profile photo
ctomasc
05/23/2017 11:15 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.