{'en': 'Jaime Caballero: 83 km swimming by type 2 diabetes', 'es': 'Jaime Caballero: 83 km a nado por la diabetes tipo 2'} Image

Jaime Caballero: 83 km swimming by type 2 diabetes

fer's profile photo   07/19/2016 4:13 p.m.

Jaime Caballero could be a superhero.As far as I know its history meets all the requirements: there is an adventure, a mission, a villain and, of course, a double identity.

Namely, Jaime is a commercial director of a day and night swimmer -Well, in her free time-, but it is in this facet when Jaime develops his adventure;Nothing hours and kilometers without stopping towards a goal that goes beyond the end of the race, its purpose is to give visibility to the adversary of thousands of people: ELA.

That is why Jaime has been making crossings since 2005, not only faces the ELA, he has also swam to make other diseases such as child leukemia visible.

Now, this Donostiarra is about to become the first person to swim in a parabola for the Lake Leman, the longest in Europe.And it also does it for a good cause: sensitizing the population about type 2 diabetes.

Why swimming?

Well, I started with 14 years because I liked it, then I left him to leave Farra and returned at 24 because I enjoyed swimming.But things changed in 2008 when a very close uncle dies from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ELA).His death was a 180 degree turn.Now I make the crossings to give visibility to this disease.In addition, with other friends who have suffered in their family cases of ELA, we decided to take it seriously and found the association always ahead.

It has crossed the Strait of Gibraltar round trip, the Lake Ness, the Channel of La Mancha also by double and a long etcetera.The effort from outside seems immense, what gives strength?

Those affected by ELA that I have been knowing and their families are my absolute support.They are an example of struggle and overcoming and say, fuck, if they are there giving everything to overcome the disease, I cannot give up before fatigue or cold.The effort I make is something much more tin compared to yours.They are certainly my bastion and I will be eternally grateful to all these affected that I am knowing because they are teaching me a lot.

Now he will swim Lake Lake, the longest in Europe.How are you preparing?

I train daily with my Kairoscope swimming clubmates, and apart, I have already put myself with very specific training to address this journey.I swim every week, on weekends above all, sessions of 5 or 10 continuous hours.This Saturday without going any further, I'm going to Alloz's swamp with part of my team to try.I will make a simulation of what would be half of the journey, about 12 hours or so, to see sensations.

Swimming for so many hours seems dangerous ...

Everything is controlled thanks to Dr. Iñaki Arratibel who comes with me.It is important because it wants to do a study of pulsations, how glucose rates vary etc., ultimately a study of the ability of an athlete in such extreme situations.In addition, my team warned me after the last journey -they were 24 hours crossing the round trip channel -that we would never do it again without a doctor because the last hours I was semi -inconscious.I left the water talking to Gonzalo believing that he was my mother.He said nonsense ... Anyway.

But how is it possible to swim in that state?

Well, you are swimming as if you were a robot, in fact, those hours do not exist in my life.Then you laugh when they tell you "Hey and when you started turning on yourself when you arrived at the beach ...", and I say good yes, but the truth is that I don't remember anything.

Now the Lake Lake, what difficulties does it present?

Basically the distance.Instead of doing it for the shortest part -which would be 72 km -, the Romande Foundation for Diabetes Research has asked me to pass through the ports of Vavey, Lausanne and Nyon, so they will be about 83km.Calculation that will take to complete the route between 25 and 30 hours.

The temperature, on the other hand, I do not think it is a problem because they will be around 18 degrees.However, the doctor has advised me to put the fat that I usually put to waterproof a bit and resist better, but I don't think it is cold.

On the other hand, the waves and the wind that may be can condition me in a certain way, but what is different this time compared to other journeys is the issue of float.In a lake do not float anything and you have to drag your 100 kilos of weight which is an extra effort.

You don't go alone on the journey, how is the relationship with your team?

We have a very good relationship, Txapete who is going to captain the Zodiac, is a key person in all my journeys, he always points.He is a super active Donostiarra sailor.And the rest, Andrés Azpilicueta and Gabriel Artiach are friends who have also been with me in these challenges.They know when they touch me hydrates or water, anything.They have everything very rehearsed and very measured.

They shouldn't have a good time ...

It's hard for everyone because you imagine being 27 or 30 hours mounted on the Zodiaz.There you have to be.Posture and sun do not make it comfortable.

It has an impressive record.I guess there are many very different moments.Choose the best and worst

The best, the journey from Bilbao to San Sebastian.Because it is my land.It was my first long journey and the most emotional, no doubt.And the worst when I crossed the stain -trip channel.They were 24 hours with a lot of cold.It had 32 degrees of temporary temperature.It was horrible.

It's many hours in a row, how do you do it to eat?

Every half an hour I drink water and every hour and a half I also take bananas.I already have everything very proven and I know what is good for me.

I mean that you have to make small stops ...

Eye stops not.My team has everything controlled, when I touch me, they whistle, I approach the ship, I take it and I follow.I'm almost eating while I swim.

And digestion?

They are things that swallow them and nor chews.Although there have been Platano for my nose, only sometimes, but it has passed (laughs).

Neoprene or fins are tools that could help you better water water conditions, why don't you use them?

Because it is not allowed, it is an external aid.You can take to a helicopter if you want but you have to comply with the regulations.Among other things they demand that you do not wear a swimsuit that is flotability or heat.

So many kilometers under water ... What do you think while nothing?

Especially in swimming well.Also in optimizing the stroke, that kind of thing.And then you think about the good, in the bad, you turn your life.But above all in swimming well, that is a continuous thought.

Have you ever felt fear?

No, the truth is not.But last year I spent it fatal with jellyfish although I know they are gajes of the trade that must be happening.At home they told me that it looked like a Dalmatian for how it was full of spots and bites throughout the body.

Swim at this level, could you take its toll in the future?

I hope not.If not, it would not take many laps.In any case I am very well advised.I have the doctors who look at me, both Dr. Arratibel and Dr. Montes who is a cardiologist who tells me to continue until the body says enough.

But everyone asks me the same "but even when?"And I answer "well until it bores me."

Even with 80 or 90 years?

I think so.Because it is very important to have hobbies at any age, to me swimming has changed my life in positive.It is very important for mental health to have something that motivates you or that makes you illusion

And after Lake Leman, what comes next? Do you already have projects in mind?

Of course, I already haveThought the following [journey], the next and the next.I have an immense portfolio of projects.But until they are closed, I can't realize.In any case I am in a good time.

fer's profile photo
fer
07/19/2016 4:13 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

As I always comment every time I see such news.Diabetes & Sports United.We will go crazy, it will be very complicated but with illusion, struggle, effort and sacrifice we can.

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
07/19/2016 7:12 p.m.

Miembro del equipo moderador del foro.

Ultima prueba realizada:
Maratón San Petesrburgo (Rusia)
https://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/07/maraton-san-petersburgo-rusa-42195-mts.html

Prueba deportiva Ruta de las Fortalezas.
http://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/05/ruta-de-las-fortalezas-2019-54700.html

Facebook: Jorge Moto
Usuario Dexcom G6 y microinfusora Tandem T: Slim X2 Basal IQ

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.