Things you can't forget to travel

fer's profile photo   08/03/2016 11:42 a.m.

If these days you leave to enjoy your well -deserved vacation, take a look at some of the things you cannot forget.

1. Your material to control diabetes

- Oral insulin or antidiabetics
- Remember to carry double or triple what you normally use.

Take oral insulin or antidiabetics always in the handbag and if you travel accompanied it is better to distribute the medication.Thus you foresee losses.

Insulin can be at room temperature but if temperatures are very high or very low we recommend using a portable fridge.Always protect the insulin from the sun.

Never goals insulin in your suitcase when you travel by plane, it could freeze and spoil.

- glucose meter, reactive strips and necessary lancets
- Glucagon (carry a couple).

The glucagon can also be carried at room temperature not exceeding 25 degrees.Taking it at room temperature does not damage the product but reduces its expiration period in 18 months.More information here.

Always inform people who accompany you (friends and family) of how glucagon is used and on what occasions.

2. Your “Person with Diabetes” card

This card identifies you as a person with diabetes and indicates to third parties the first aid steps to follow and what a relative to call if someone finds you dizzy or with hypoglycemia.

This card is offered by people with diabetes.

3. A report from your doctor.

Medical Report It is convenient to keep a report from your doctor that will report in detail of the diabetes you have, the medications you are taking, other complications ...

4. A list of terms related to diabetes in Spanish, English and French

Always take it by hand if you go out of Spain.It will get you trouble if your forte is not English or French.

It is always useful to remember all the advice indicated by the Spanish Society of Endocrinology and Nutrition when traveling with diabetes.

6. Photocopy of diabetes and fast food tips

When traveling, more fast food tends to be consumed than usual.Knowing how fast food can affect your glycemia is important to keep it at optimal levels.

During the trip we recommend you always carry a small juice, sugar or gel-glucose.It also carries with you a small snack in case it takes more than the account to eat.

7. Contact data of the Diabetics Association of the city or country of destination.

If you are abroad and you have any problem calls the closest association.

8. Information on the use of medical recipes in the EU

fer's profile photo
fer
08/03/2016 11:42 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

The head!:))
It's a joke.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
08/03/2016 11:58 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

:)) :)) :))

fer's profile photo
fer
08/03/2016 12:30 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I was spoiled by my lite glucometer ... and then I did not have the MCG ... I recommend a great time to take a spare glucometer, as well as the double insulin necessary in two different places.

By the way, inslulin (bolis) if they are not open endure heat, right?The problem is once open.True or am I wrong?

albertot's profile photo
albertot
08/03/2016 1:29 p.m.

Albertot said:

By the way, inslulin (bolis) if they are not open endure heat, right?The problem is once open.Right or am I wrong?

@albertot I think you are wrong, both in the box and once the ball started, it has to always be at the right temperature.Another thing is that at room temperature he endures a few days, if not very hot.

fer's profile photo
fer
08/03/2016 1:43 p.m.

In summary .... If you are going to travel, to the bathroom, for bread, etc. Do not forget to take you to your diabetes.

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
08/03/2016 4:04 p.m.

DMT1 desde los 12 años (1991)
hbA1c= 5,4

Humalog y Toujeo (mayo 2017)
Humalog y Tresiba (mayo 2016 hasta mayo 2017)
humalog y NPH (desde inicio hasta mayo de 2016)

luvi said:
in short

That is why since I have diabetes I do not see meaning to travel.

The good thing about traveling was (from my point of view) getting away from your things, your home, from your daily problems, getting out of everything and when you see everything different ... it helped you take off from your little additions, your customsdaily and others.

But diabetics have to take it all on top, always, even our problems and our mental calculations.And when changing habitat, schedules, meals, exercise level ... instead of freeing yourself and taking stress, you add much more stress and more of those concerns to your life.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
08/04/2016 4:29 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

@Sherpa41 we should make a group to travel insert type hahaha

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
08/04/2016 4:35 a.m.

hbA1c= 5,4

Well, after so much years I have forgotten everything, except the glucometer, the last one was that it takes me less insulin than I should and end in the health center asking for a recipe, both to take care of my son and forget aboutMi 8- |

For me what you don't have to leave is the head and remember everything you need for the days you leave.

aranzazuleg's profile photo
aranzazuleg
08/04/2016 9:34 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Well, I enjoy a lot traveling ...

@Uvi, @sherpa41 I disconnect a lot and diabetes comes with the whole set and if I take a plane I have to add the aspirins and heparin (which also injected, hurts and pica)

The good thing is that since I use the free, I do not worry about the glucometer ... I go to the beach or out there with the mobile to read the measures and a fast pen.I only measure at the El Capillary hotel.
And I don't care about having a little time ... I rectify and that's it!For those are vacations ... I will return home to regulate ....
You have to live, which are two days ..... "Carpe Diem"

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
08/04/2016 9:42 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

I have traveled and try to travel but I have also missed many trips and activities for what has commented @sherpa41 that as salts of your natural habitat and your routines above all is more mentally than anything else you do not finish enjoying the whole, more if possible if you go to a foreign country in which you always put yourself in the worst, it is inevitableWhat you don't enjoy either.In fine, it is a visit circle.

@Ruthbia the same is that you have little with this and you have not yet taken any scare that I hope you never have it ehhhh ??;)

sigsauer's profile photo
sigsauer
08/04/2016 10:56 a.m.

@Sigsauer then I carry little, the truth, but I am a very practical person and I have remedy for almost everything in a reasonable time, so I did not overwhelm me.

As soon as they debuted they sent me to Bremen ... it was like a job test or I took it.He had not been with diabetes for a month.To the country of potatoes, fats and bad eating.In the two days I had, I had hypers and hypers, I did not do any sport but survived without stress.It served me to lose my fear of leaving my Comfort area.

Have you not thought that in a certain way and for comfort we have adapted to customs with which we are comfortable and that is why we put ourselves obstacles to perform certain activities and put as an excuse diabetes?

It happened to me with rice or ride by bike;I have always said that it does not compensate me to put more insulin or take a hypo for a walk in the field.This last June I have done it, I have left the Comfort area and it was worth it.

That said, do not stop doing things for diabetes, in the end you can.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
08/04/2016 11:05 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

@Ruthbia In the end the years and experiences with diabetes are marking a little, especially negatives.When I debuted I made 4,000 meters mountains and did not even have the glucometer (my endocrine flip in colors) I was guided by my sensations because I noticed them all and with the insulin reserves and all the chocolate and chocolate cookies that put me I arrived in someIncredibly good values ​​... Over the years, those sensations are blurred and now I carry the glucometer even to buy the bread as @luvi says, since I have been free no longer ...

And I am nobody to give advice because there are people here who have been having many more years and have countless experiences and experiences

sigsauer's profile photo
sigsauer
08/04/2016 11:18 a.m.

@Sigsauer In the end the glucometers generate dependence and stop paying attention to our instinct.
With technology in many habits of life we ​​are losing instinct.Especially with the theme of mobiles ... we have to corroborate everything before making decisions, sometimes I wonder, how did we live before mobile?Well, we lived well and things worked, perhaps, even with better quality of life.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
08/04/2016 1:53 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

That is not that @ruthbia, is more the loss of symptoms with a time pass and carry a fair glycemia than anything else.I personally have that insensitivity to the symptoms of a hiccup, I can be in 60-50 so pichi and even with less.That is playing Russian roulette and with the luck I have already the result, he preferred not to risk playing.

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
08/04/2016 2:41 p.m.

hbA1c= 5,4

luvi said:
is not that @ruthbia, it is more the loss of symptoms with in the passage of time and carry a fair glycemia than anything else.I personally have that insensitivity to the symptoms of a hiccup, I can be in 60-50 so pichi and even with less.That is playing Russian roulette and with the luck I have already the result, he preferred not to risk playing.

I don't detect them all either.I notice them below 50 before I am asymptomatic.The worst time I was in 30 glycemia had to attend me at home because I couldn't open a sugar envelope or drink a juice.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
08/04/2016 2:52 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Who could tell me some related English terms, as @Fer says in point 4?At the end of August I go on vacation, and my English will depend a lot on Google Translator offline: P and that aspect had never thought about it.It is true that I always try to be as independent as possible and prevent scares from going but, it is worth preparing.The truth is that I go to an island and with all inclusive, so it is more likely to happen more hyper than hypos jiji.

Another question has anyone dared to put the Dexcom receiver in one of those sealed transparent sachets so that it does not between the water when it has gotten into the water?Or do not risk and leave it in the towel in the sand while you take a bath?The lost signal icon may come out, but then it will return: P

It is my first summer with the Dexcom and I am assaulted by many doubts and fears, as in the airports if I agree with a more tocapel poli ..., that if I throw myself into the water from a certain distance if the patch will endure, if there are slides to seeIf the patch will hook, look for options to always carry it on, how it will behave with several flight hours (I also have the patch in the back, to see how annoying it will be) ...

valky's profile photo
valky
08/11/2016 12:12 a.m.

DM1 Debut diciembre 2004.

Hi @values, let's see if I can help you in your doubts.
In relation to the English ......, little, I'm not very polygon :)) :))
The sealed bag is not worth it, take the receiver with you or leave it in the towel the signal will be lost as soon as you set in the water.For me this is also the first summer with the Dexcom, but during all this time I have been swimming.Water is not a problem for our MCG, although yes, the time you are involved in the water The connection is lost.
From the airport or worry, I passed the arch and nobody said anything (that did have a medical report in case the flies), moreover, if you carry it in your ass, worry less, nobody is going to touch you there :)):)) (I also carry it there for comfort).And the flight hours are not a problem either.
So that the patch will stop more, you just have

nacho's profile photo
nacho
08/11/2016 11:41 a.m.

ruthbia said:
@sigsauer in the end the glucometers generate dependence and stop paying attention to our instinct.
With technology in many habits of life we ​​are losing instinct.Especially with the theme of mobiles ... we have to corroborate everything before making decisions, sometimes I wonder, how did we live before mobile?Well, we lived well and things worked, perhaps, even, with better quality of life.

@ruthbidia, hopefully it was like that and could be trusted in instinct and symptoms and train the body so as notFor trying to move in an adjusted range, but since its early years I got in many hypoglycemia of 30 and when measuring glycemia, and she was playing, reading etc., hence my fights with doctors for the strips, I needed themBecause the glucometer was the only one that said the truth and without being deaf and blind.
Being asleep more of the same and those are very dangerous, it has never happened to wake up sweaty with hiccup symptoms.The hypos caught them by making the capillary and she sleeping with a loose leg.Other hypos in dreams were already more scandalous, directly went on to convulse and I had to throw every glucagon pill, even so two were so strong that we ended up in the hospital.Hence I see alarms as a great help ... and technology as something essential.

Ainhoa's profile photo
Ainhoa
08/11/2016 12:09 p.m.

Dulce introducción al caos...
DT 3

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.