{'en': 'How to help my relative or friend with diabetes?', 'es': '¿Cómo ayudar a mi familiar o amigo con diabetes?'} Image

How to help my relative or friend with diabetes?

fer's profile photo   09/12/2016 5:24 p.m.

If you have ever wondered "how to help my mother and my girlfriend who have diabetes?", Below you can read some practical tips:

- It is important that you (son, mother, girlfriend) know that having diabetes is not his fault and that no one (or in any case the destination) would be responsible for having it.

- It is important to have your side to your (parents, couple or family) and that are relaxed.They must support you without being invasive or overprotective.Parents usually say "You don't do this, you can have a sugar decline, don't go back, don't run, don't eat, no, no," it means not having confidence and not making them responsible for their own diabetes.

- Managing diabetes is easier along with others, than doing everything alone.Talking with others of diabetes helps to accept the condition (groups of people with diabetes, camps, blogs, forums, etc.)

- Thank the current advances and conditions of this era, in which insulins and meters are available.Children and adults with diabetes can virtually do anything other people do.Because our (daughter, couple, mother) has diabetes, we are deeper, we share more as a family and communicate much more because we have to do it.

- Check the food you have in the house.The foods present must be "favorable" so that all family people eat them, with or without diabetes. If you buy carbohydrates, buy enough so that everyone eats them at the same time, does not buy anymore. In this way, your(daughter, couple, mother) eats what everyone eats and there is no temptation to eat such foods when there is no one at home.

- It is important to ask your (son, partner, mother) of her diabetes."What is annoying you? What is angry? What frustrates you? What are the aspects of diabetes you feel that nobody understands? What could I do to help take care of your diabetes and reduce stress?

- Do not exalt when you have a high glycemic value, that is, hyperglycemia.Yes, we already know that it is high.It is not always my fault.However, when it's my fault, remember me gently not to eat the cake or other concentrated carbohydrate source. "

- Do not go crazy when I have low glycemic values.Yes, sometimes we have 40 mg/dl or lower.Simply give us 1 - 2 glucose tablets.Don't fly crazy.

- Participate in the physical activities in which you (daughter, couple, mother) participate.They will make you feel good!

- Apóy me in my decisions.If I want to do something exciting, don't stop me, saying, “you can't do that.How are you going to inject insulin? "Instead, take 20 minutes to talk to me, how I will take care of my diabetes and at the same time have fun.

- Do not enter discussions or fights with your (daughter, couple, mother) about glucose values.Values ​​are numbers.They are high, normal, or low.They indicate an action route.It is preferable not to use words as "good" or "bad!When referring to the values ​​indicated by the glucose meter.

- It is best to let the person who has diabetes learn what should be eaten and what does not, that is, which exaggerately elevates glycemia and what does not raise it so much, or what makes her feel bad after eating it.You as your relative can help you but not always tell you what to do.

- "After receiving the necessary diabetological education, you and your whole family have to adopt a sugar -free diet and with few carbohydrates. You will not be able to be sitting at the table, eating a portion of Lasagna and assuming that your son eats something different.We changeOur food at the same time in my son's diagnosis, a typical dinner can be grill chicken, a green salad with César dressing (no light) and cheese zucchini.Using this type of food, my child may need little insulin and the doses of small eliminate constant ups and downs. "

- "Do not offer unre requested tips about what, when, how, how, or other aspects of diabetes."

- "Do not tell me horrifying stories he has heard from his grandfather, neighbor and other people who had diabetes and who did not control hyperglycemia."

- "Do not get so scared when monitoring my blood glucose or injecting insulin."

- "Effirm your love and breath"

fer's profile photo
fer
09/12/2016 5:24 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I would add: When your partner gets sad or overwhelmed because they think it is a burden for you and tell you that you always have to take care of it remind him of the times she has taken care of you, make him see that getting bad is inherentTo be alive and that you find it so comforting to be able to do something to make your life easier for your partner as she likes to make you a white rice how much you have gastritis (for example)

Con_Q_de_quimica's profile photo
Con_Q_de_quimica
09/12/2016 6:21 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.