{'en': 'Be a plane pilot and have diabetes, it is already possible in the United Kingdom', 'es': 'Ser Piloto de avión y tener diabetes, ya es posible en el Reino Unido'} Image

Be a plane pilot and have diabetes, it is already possible in the United Kingdom

fer's profile photo   09/14/2016 11:32 a.m.

One of the censored professions for people with diabetes has traditionally been that of aircraft pilots.Many people with diabetes have ever dreamed of their lives with devoting themselves to this profession but have always been denied by their diabetes as this article of the American Diabetes Association shows.

A study presented at the Congress of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD), which is celebrated in Munich these days, shows that the United Kingdom commercial line pilots with insulin treated diabetes can fly safely, withVery safe and stable blood sugar levels.

The study has been carried out by the medical staff of the Royal Hospital of the County of Surrey, Guildford, the United Kingdom and the United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority, of Gatwick's airport and calls into question that maxim of denying people with diabetes to handle diabetesA plane and be pilots.

Commercial pilots with diabetes in the United Kingdom

In 2012, the United Kingdom became the second country in the world, after Canada, to issue medical certificates for commercial pilots.The United Kingdom now has the greatest number of pilots treated with insulin, and is at the head in Europe.

A complete protocol, developed by a panel of medical and aviation experts, regulates the medical certification of insulin treated pilots.Ireland joined the United Kingdom in April 2015, with the application of an agreed medical evaluation protocol in accordance with the European Air Security Agency Regulation (AESA).

Certified pilots are subject to strict requirements, directly supervised by the United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) and its medical departments, including surveillance before and during the blood glucose flight.This study aimed to evaluate the early experience and security of the United Kingdom program.

With the consent of the pilots, the archives of all the pilots treated with insulin were reviewed, and the data were collected.This included: age;Date of Diabetes, Medical Certificate;type of diabetes and duration;diabetes control regime;comorbidities;Diabetes complication monitoring;all available HBA1C values ​​(a blood sugar control measure) before and after license;and all flights with associated blood glucose monitoring values.

HBA1C pre and post-average post-Lice values ​​were compared.Pre and during the flight, blood glucose monitoring values ​​correlated against the “green” (5-15mmol / l), “amber” (4-5 and 15-20mmol / l), and “red red), and“ red), and “red), and“ red”(& Lt; 4 o & gt; 20 mmol / l) varies.

26 pilots treated with insulin were studied.They were all men, with an average age of 41 years.The majority (85%) had type 1 diabetes, with an average duration of 8 -year -old diabetes.The HBA1C medium prior to the license was 53.1mmol / mol;The average of the last HBA1C was 54.8mmol / mol, which demonstrates any significant change.

8,897 blood glucose monitoring values ​​were collected during 4,900 flight hours.For short and a half radio flights (less than 6 hours), 96% of 7,829 blood glucose monitoring readings were inside the "green" range.For long distance flights (more than 6 hours), 97% of the 1,068 readings were within the "green" range.Of all those readings only 19 (0.2%) were in the "red" range and to date, no pilot has suffered a medical disability due to the lack of control of blood glucose.

The need for this control and supervision of protocols is necessary, the authors say, since commercial pilots can work longWork days, with multiple short -journey flights, or a single long -term flight.This has the potential to alter normal feeding patterns, especially when crossing time areas.Pilots treated with insulin, in addition they must demonstrate excellent control and understanding of their diabetes in order to obtain a medical certificate that allows them to fly for now with planes without passengers.

fer's profile photo
fer
09/14/2016 11:32 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

While always carrying a continuous glucose meter with alarms and never gets out of 90, without problems.As if they are in charge of the red button that destroys the world.

Of course the State should provide this and not pay it in your pocket, since it is necessary for any profession in which you have lives in your charge.

If they go to glucometer hair I did not leave them even.Not in other professions.

Anyway "for now with planes without passengers."

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
09/15/2016 2:42 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I would not go traquila with a pilot to hair, as Artorias says.
Current treatments do not guarantee sufficient stability for risk professions.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
09/15/2016 2:58 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

If in my work I try never to go down from 100 and I am monitored all the time, and even that way I have had a small scare of having to get an envelope of glucose to all milk when I see the trend.

As if to go and wearing a lot of lives in a huge pot that flies.

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
09/15/2016 3:05 a.m.

The pilots do not usually go alone, right?There are usually no two people who know how to pilot the plane?

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
09/15/2016 10:30 a.m.

Miembro del equipo moderador del foro.

Ultima prueba realizada:
Maratón San Petesrburgo (Rusia)
https://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/07/maraton-san-petersburgo-rusa-42195-mts.html

Prueba deportiva Ruta de las Fortalezas.
http://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/05/ruta-de-las-fortalezas-2019-54700.html

Facebook: Jorge Moto
Usuario Dexcom G6 y microinfusora Tandem T: Slim X2 Basal IQ

Meanwhile in Spain ... the DGT wants to add diabetes in the exclusions list to renew the driving license ... Long live the involution !!!

😡😡😡😡😡

fer's profile photo
fer
08/09/2024 6:54 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I have worked in Iberia, if I said it was not working.
And I was downloading suitcases 😂

JuanSolo's profile photo
JuanSolo
08/09/2024 9:19 p.m.

fer said:
Meanwhile in Spain ... the DGT wants to add diabetes in the exclusions list to renew the driving license ... Long live the involution !!!

😡😡😡😡😡

Don't believe everything you read ...

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
08/09/2024 9:25 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

I have seen the DGT notice in several media, for me that it is a probe balloon, if so, we better make it clear that it is not a good idea!

fer's profile photo
fer
08/09/2024 9:28 p.m.

Maybe they do not renew the one who has uncontrolled diabetes, with hospital income and ask for a medical report.
But it makes no sense to worry because it means just that, take care of yourself before time.
Only the rate of rates income no longer compensates.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
08/10/2024 11:51 a.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

The article is to piss up Spain against the government ... typical of the media ...

JuanSolo's profile photo
JuanSolo
08/10/2024 12:07 p.m.

YaizaJ's profile photo
YaizaJ
08/11/2024 9:30 p.m.

I pass, I renovated omitting diabetes.
If one reads the boe, no one would have a driving license.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
08/14/2024 10:16 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.