{'en': 'Gestational diabetes, affects the baby?', 'es': 'Diabetes gestacional, afecta al bebé?'} Image

Gestational diabetes, affects the baby?

fer's profile photo   09/14/2016 11:38 a.m.

A new investigation presented within the framework of the Congress of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD), which is celebrated these days in Munich, shows that both gestational diabetes (which develops during pregnancy) and pre-diabetesGestational (present before conception, that is, in a woman with diabetes) they are associated with a series of bad results for the baby.The study is Dr. Basilio Pintadui, Niguarda Ca Granda Hospital in Milan, Italy.

Both gestational diabetes and pre -estational diabetes in pregnancy are associated with bad neonatal results compared to normal pregnancy.These bad results are including the abnormal size of the baby, jaundice, low blood sugar levels, and malformations.

In this study, the authors estimated the risks of neonatal adverse results of complicated pregnancies by gestational diabetes and diabetes, also taking into account the role of other important concomitant diseases.

The authors used a decade of administrative data from the Italian Puglia region from 2002 to 2012. Complicated pregnancies were selected by individual DMGs and DM and their neonatal results.The risks of neonatal complications for DMG and DM compared to normal pregnancy were estimated by computer modeling after adjusting age, hypertensive and thyroid disorders and drug use.

the study

Of a total of 135,163 complicated pregnancies for DMG 1,357 and 234 per DM were selected.In comparison with the pregnancies in which the mother had normal blood sugar tolerance, those selected by gestational diabetes or diabetes prior to conception were associated with a higher risk of neonatal hypoglycemia (10 times the risk of DMG and 36 timesfor DM);small for gestational age (DMG 1.7 times; 5.8 dm);large for gestational age (GDM 1.7 times, 7.9 dm);jaundice (GDM 1.7, 2.6 dm);Fetal malformations (GDM 2.2, 3.5 dm), low calcium and magnesium levels (GDM 1.8, 9.2 ms) and caesarean section (GDM 1.9; 8.5 dm).DM but no GDM was associated with high risk of respiratory distress (2.7 times) and excess amniotic fluid (polyhydramnios) (46.5 times higher risk).

The authors conclude: “Both gestational diabetes and diabetes in the mother when she becomes pregnant are associated with adverse results for the baby regardless of the presence of other clinical conditions that complicate pregnancy.Therefore, greater attention is necessary to these women. ”

To see the poster with the investigation: Link

fer's profile photo
fer
09/14/2016 11:38 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I have been a mother, I don't think it's like that if you have a good control, that you take it, in addition to that you go every month to do tests and take great care of all the doctors.

I believe that 15 years ago it was more difficult to carry good control and therefore that everything went well.

But today it is not excuse not to have a child for diabetes.

aranzazuleg's profile photo
aranzazuleg
09/14/2016 11:55 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I had gestational diabetes and I put insulin, and my daughter was born well

Juani_53's profile photo
Juani_53
09/14/2016 5:56 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.