Newly diagnostic.I am a teenager who lives with type 1 diabetes

Mapi's profile photo   08/18/2017 12:15 a.m.

Thank you very much for this forum.
My son is 12 years old and has been living with diabetes for 8 months.Its glucosylated hemoglobin is 5.7.

Greetings

Mapi's profile photo
Mapi
08/18/2017 12:15 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

It is very good, for time and value I would say that it is in the honeymoon phase.

Paulescu's profile photo
Paulescu
08/18/2017 12:25 a.m.

LADA desde 2-2010/ 44 años
Lantus 16 u en tránsito a Toujeo / Novorapid 4/6/5

Yes, we are still at that stage, its c peptide is 1. We hope to continue controlled after this stage.Greetings and thank you very much

Mapi's profile photo
Mapi
08/18/2017 12:28 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@Mapi, I have seen the case of a Danish child (Alexander in case you want to look for it) who has managed to lengthen the honeymoon by changing to a ketogenic diet.He was diagnosed with 6 years and now I think he is 8 or 9 years old and still does not use insulin.It may be an isolated case and it does not work with everyone but I were still on time, of course, I would try it without thinking.I prefer to be my whole life without eating some things than with everything that means being diabetic.
In case you want to investigate a little you are still on time with your child.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
08/18/2017 2:31 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Careful to recommend "miraculous" diets that we are talking about being able to harm people.I am not a doctor, but neither is a naive that creates the sells the vessels, we are talking about a food based on fat consumption in 75-80% for a child.On the Internet there are a lotChange that, can be extended or even shorten that period will depend on many factors, but that of the end nobody and nothing frees you.Be careful that there are recommended or advised many recently diagnosed, desperate and uninformed people who can be affected or aggravated in their health and diabetes for following those recommendations or advice.

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
08/18/2017 2:55 p.m.

DMT1 desde los 12 años (1991)
hbA1c= 5,4

Humalog y Toujeo (mayo 2017)
Humalog y Tresiba (mayo 2016 hasta mayo 2017)
humalog y NPH (desde inicio hasta mayo de 2016)

Cetogenic diets carry around 65% - 75% fat and very little hydrate, basically in the form of vegetables.There are populations that have always followed these diets and have had no health problem such as the Inuits (the Eskimos in Alaska).In fact, there have not only been cases of diseases that are today an epidemic in countries with western diets.Several studies have been done with these populations and it has been seen that as soon as they change the food to one with western products, these diseases shoot when they only existed.
I do not think it supposes any problem following a ketogenic diet as far as health is concerned.Socially if it can be because there are many usual consumption products today that cannot be eaten in this type of diets.And for a child it will be much more difficult than for an adult.But I would have liked that when I was diagnosed by someone had spoken to me about this option to be the one to decide whether I want to try or not.
I have not said that this is miraculous and that it works worldwide.I have seen a case of a child who has managed not to need medication by changing the diet, which does not mean that it has been cured, much less.Surely if you change the feed again, you will need medicines again.
Cetogenic diets have been seen that they are effective in treating some diseases such as epilepsy and reverse type 2 diabetes in some cases.I think it is an option that diabetics should be informed and that each one decides whether to try or not.When you diagnose diabetes you only give you an option, the only valid diet is what doctors call "balanced" in which they do not see problem in consuming 50-60% hydrate in a person who has problems to metabolize hydrates.In return they make you depend on a life medication (which in the case of type 2 is very possible that it could be avoided or delayed with another type of diet).

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
08/21/2017 10:09 a.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.