{'en': 'Fever and diabetes', 'es': 'Fiebre y diabetes'} Image

Fever and diabetes

Dalu's profile photo   10/11/2017 1:16 p.m.

Since my son diagnosed diabetes, almost 3 months ago, he has not become bad until today.

Today is very decayed and with tenths of fever, near 38 °.

And it is spending a very high morning in terms of blood glucose, about 250,

Is this normal to happen when it gets bad?

What makes him upload, his own organism being bad, the medication, the one who costs him more to eat his rations?

Thank you!

Dalu's profile photo
Dalu
10/11/2017 1:16 p.m.

Papa niño 3 años diagnosticado julio 2017. Uso medtronic 640 con sensor enlite. Ultima glicosilada 6,3.

Diagnosticado noviembre 2019.

It is normal, when we are sick, he gets out of control, I suppose that by action of some hormone the body releases glucose reserves but I do not know how to you because exactly, I have never investigated it.Some medications also influence and many carry some kind of sugar that also influences.
Go correcting with a fast dose to try to be as normal as possible.And also controls the ketones, especially if he does not eat or eat less than usual.The best thing is in blood but if your glucometer does not have that option you can look at them in urine.The difference is that in urine the value that comes out is a few hours earlier, blood is just what it has at that time.In the health center they should give you both strips.You can take advantage of the same puncture to look glucose and ketones if you don't stop stopping the blood drop while changing the strips.So you save punctures.
When we are fasting or eat few foods with glucose, the body has to burn fat to obtain the energy it needs and produces ketone bodies.The problem is that the production of ketone bodies is partially controlled by insulin, if there is not enough you can get out of control of production and derive in a ketoacidosis (which I suppose they will have explained that it is serious and needs urgent attention).If the glucose levels are normal and does not eat it is normal for some ketones to come out but they should not get out of control, although it is fine to control every certain hours just in case.When you ask for the strips that explain what levels are normal and which are not.If at some point they come out above what is considered normal, go to emergencies.
Probably until you are better need more fast units at meals (if you eat) and correct between hours if you upload.If you don't want to eat you can try to give it liquids that have glucose (juice, milk ...) that will be easier than solids.
The slow I would not touch it because you don't know how long you will be sick and when you improve you can give you a downturn.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
10/11/2017 2:04 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Thank you @"Yesssica_a", as we are still newbies, when new things are emerging we must inform us and I appreciate that you are always willing to take a hand with your help.We have managed to control it very well in the food, but now it starts to rise, so it will touch to be corrected.Luckily his older brother, with his 5 years he helps us nucho: x

Dalu's profile photo
Dalu
10/11/2017 3:24 p.m.

Papa niño 3 años diagnosticado julio 2017. Uso medtronic 640 con sensor enlite. Ultima glicosilada 6,3.

I'm glad to help.Let's see if you heals soon.Little by little you will learn and have all situations controlled.It is all new and scares so ask everything you need for that for that.

Yessica_A
10/11/2017 3:38 p.m.

Hi @dalu.I understand that with fever the insulin resistance increases, it depends on the degrees that increases the fever, this resistance increases.I do not remember if this fever/insulin ratio this tab in some way.

erpla's profile photo
erpla
10/11/2017 3:42 p.m.

DMT1 desde 1994, Bomba de insulina desde 2016, Freestyle+Miaomiao+Xdrip, última Hemo 5.8%

The truth is that a lot of fever has not had, it is about 38, but it has not exceeded it and we have not come to give it anything to lower it, but it is very crying and says Pupa pointsing out the body, something will be Barruing.Nothing will be learning how to act in each situation.

Dalu's profile photo
Dalu
10/11/2017 5:44 p.m.

In the case of such young children it is more delicate because they do not know how to tell you what happens to them and I by prudence I recommend you control the glucose and ketones to avoid problems although it is normal that nothing happens beyond being a little high those days those days those days those days.An adult is normally able to realize when he is entering a ketoacidosis through the symptoms, but an equal child does not know how to tell you the symptoms that he has correctly and less such a small one, so it is good to control the ketones several times a day.It is better to go control those days than to have a scare although it is normal that nothing happens to him (I don't want to scare you either, I have been at illness a few days and I have never had ketoacidosis).The worst is when there are vomiting because there unable to eat, it is easier to have ketoacidosis and in a child you have to control it much more just in case.

Yessica_A
10/11/2017 6:09 p.m.

We have controlled c.Cetonicod and has left 0.2.At the moment only glucose is what is being affected

Dalu's profile photo
Dalu
10/11/2017 7:04 p.m.

I carry little with glucose and I don't know much, but if it has a fever it may be that it has some infection to fight, and need more white globules.And you will have to feed with glucose via insulin.
Insulin needs increase, and more must be supplied.

One thing is ketosis, normal if less hydrates are eaten, and a different ketoacidosis, which I think requires, above all, very high levels of glucose.

Erty's profile photo
Erty
10/12/2017 8:17 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello, I am Angel Mom 11 years 2 years of being diagnosed.
Something that catches my attention because temperature of 38 and above 37 degrees is already a fever and it is a symptom of something is happening in your body, but I think it is not because of diabetes, it is important to take it to the doctor so thatInquire what is happening.
Now, when there is a symptom of a diabetic, it happens that there is insulin resistance, so glucose almost always rises so it is important to know at the time of being sick make basal changes so as not to suffer high and constant glucosewhat can cause ketoacidosis.
I think this is a constant learning, it is a day, day and you have to get to know and apocus for when the baby can be taken care of alone. :)

a hug

9406 's profile photo
12/06/2017 3:43 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I reopen the thread.I don't know what to do, my son has 5 days with flu and fever and I don't know how to lower sugar levels.To make an idea, a week ago to eat needed 3 insulin to eat 4 rations and today Lade 3.5 of insulin and only 2.3 rations and is in 229 sugar.Is it normal that you need so many insulin for such little food when it is bad?

Dalu's profile photo
Dalu
01/13/2018 3:06 p.m.

Hi Dalu.Did a doctor see him?Any infection rises sugar, it is not fever in
itself.
It is expected that it will come out, but it would be better to consult.I don't know if you have been given antibiotics or you don't need them.Patience.

Pilar Vendrell's profile photo
Pilar Vendrell
01/13/2018 4:54 p.m.

Pilar V.

With infections, the need for insulin rises.Adapt the dose to what you need.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
01/14/2018 7:44 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

We went to the doctor and it looks like a flu without further ado, we have fallen many of the family, his brother too, of course, unfair or not worry about the little one for his problems added by diabetes.

Dalu's profile photo
Dalu
01/14/2018 10:30 a.m.

Oh.I don't feel a weirdo!
I have a flu with fever accesses and there is no way to get out of 200I maximize what I wear are 4 for 3 rations when I have resistance, if not only 2 units.
Fear makes me eat.Luckily I am inappropriate.
It is my first flu in 10 years and being diabetic

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
02/08/2018 8:54 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

The endocrine told me that for disease you have to climb basal because the body needs more all the time not only when you eat.If you just go up quickly as soon as you pass the effect it rises again.

Yessica_A
02/09/2018 11:45 a.m.

I would go up slow insulin, one unit per day and also fast!
It is true that, when we are cold or with a flu ... it rises more than normal, we are going a bit out of control.You have to try to climb insulin and as I say, "eat with fear", it is better to fall short.
By the way, when I am bad, and I don't feel like eating, I take Aquarius, and I punctuate a little insulin;In this way I have sugars in the body and I avoid eating, if I am inappropriate.

RAKE's profile photo
RAKE
02/09/2018 11:59 a.m.

DM1 desde 1992, con 9 añitos; Tresiba 10, Apidra en función de HC
Freestyle Libre

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.