Diabasket, the first sporting event for children with diabetes around basketball as a main axis, will have the support of the Spanish Basketball Federation.

The sports day will have, throughout a full day, sports activities for children, informative workshops for families and there will be a visit of professional players in the sports facilities of the Francisco de Vitoria University of Madrid.The day is organized by Clinic Diabre, specialized in diabetes and nutrition for children and young people in Madrid, and has the support of Novo Nordisk.

The former player and doctor Juan Antonio Corbalán also supports the initiative.

Among the objectives of the event, in addition to highlighting the importance of practicing sports despite its diabetes, it highlights “participation in a playful and sports activity, the occasion that children and their families are going to have to review or reinforce concepts related to theDiabetes and sport and coexistence with other children by reinforcing values ​​of overcoming, feeling of equipment, self -esteem and responsibility, ”said María Seoane, executive director of Clinic Diabre.And it is that Dialibre seeks with this action "to disseminate, educate and sensitize about type 1 diabetes to also favor the integration and quality of life of children and, at the same time, help the prevention of type 2 diabetes," addedMaría Seoane.

For his part, the president of the Feb, Jorge Garbajosa, points out that “basketball is a magnificent platform for the development of social activities, and especially all those that are related to the health of our young people, which for us is the mostimportant.That is why in the Spanish Federation we have not hesitated to add to this initiative, because we are convinced that it will be a great help for those who live together with the demands of diabetes. ”

The former international player Juan Antonio Corbalán will be a fundamental part of the event and will hold with the children, exploiting his double basketball and medical player facet.“I have three important reasons to support this initiative: the first is that I am a normal person who affects everything that can influence the health of the people, second because I have been a basketball player and third, because from my facet asDoctor, I know that diabetes is an important and serious problem and you have to stop it as much as possible, ”said Juan Antonio Corbalán.Similarly, the former basketball player has highlighted “the importance of raising awareness among society, especially the little ones, through initiatives such as Diabasket, in which health, sports and society are very related.

The sports day has the advice and design of a national basketball coach with extensive experience in the organization of sports campus, monitors and support staff of support, selection of monitors and support personnel, content for the training program of the day and theparticipation of basketball professionals.

Diabasket seeks to raise awareness among families and children with diabetes of the importance of practicing sports, which, together with healthy eating, will better control the disease.The event, which is scheduled for May 20, hopes to congregate more than 100 children around sports, in this case, related to basketball.