{'en': 'Neil Vogel: Diabetes can be controlled', 'es': 'Neil Vogel: La diabetes se puede controlar'} Image

Neil Vogel: Diabetes can be controlled

fer's profile photo   11/29/2016 5:55 p.m.

17 years ago, Neil Vogel was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. His doctor told him that in addition to medications he needed to change the diet and exercise.

Vogel tried, without success, "all fashion diets.""I lost weight initially and then won again," says Vogel, 64.“Sometimes I was completely out of control.I ate half a gallon of manteed sitting in front of the TV. ”

Then, about two years ago, his wife Jill told him that he saw him with a very poor health.“She was afraid that she died early and told me that we had good things waiting for us and I had to do something.His words inspired me, ”says Vogel.

The next step was when a health care consultant referred to Sonia Ángel, nutritionist and educator in regional memorial diabetes hospital in Broward."My life completely changed," says Vogel."She took a different approach and worked."

When Angel knew about all the diets that Vogel had tried and failed, he asked him a question: "What does this tell you about diets?"His answer: "They don't work."

Choosing a healthy path "does not suppose a diet or a weight loss program," says Ángel."It's about changing your lifestyle and working on it one step at the same time."

For example, Ángel began Vogel's exercise program with a ten minutes walk.That time gradually increased to 90 minutes and then began to run bicycle.At first they were short distances.Now run between ten and 15 miles a day.“Before I couldn't even ride a bicycle.Now it's something I really enjoy. ”

As for food, you have learned to make wise decisions, reduce portions, order better in restaurants and learn to interact with food from a nutritional point of view.Among its many changes, Vogel now eats high cereal in fiber instead of sugary selections, many salads without dressings and snacks such as "popcorn" without fat, simple Greek yogurt and fresh and plant fruit.

Vogel's exercise regime and his new way of feeding has had a positive result.He has lost 185 pounds since February 2015, falling from a 66 -waist size to 40. "I am now a different person from who he was a year and a half," he says.

Vogel hopes that his journey can help others make the difficult changes necessary to improve health.

According to the American Diabetes Association, about 1.4 million people in the United States are diagnosed with diabetes annually.In 2012, 29.1 million Americans or 9.3 percent of the population had diabetes.Of that number, 1.25 million children and American adults had type 1 diabetes and the rest had type 2.

With type 1, diagnosed mainly in children and young adults, the body stops producing insulin, the hormone that the body needs to obtain glucose from the bloodstream for body cells.With type 2 diabetes, the body does not use insulin properly.About 95 percent of cases of type 2 diabetes can be prevented or improved with healthier eating habits and more exercise.Obesity and type 2 diabetes are linked.

"Not every obese person has diabetes, but definitely puts them at greater risk," says Amy Kimberlain, nutritionist and educator in Certified Diabetes Research Institute at University of Miami Health System."Sedentary lifestyle helps increase the risk of chronic diseases, not just diabetes."

More than a quarter of the almost 30 million people who have diabetes, do not know they have it."They may not present symptoms at the beginning," says Angel.Diabetes signals may include extreme thirst, frequent urination,Extreme fatigue, dry mouth, increased hunger, blurred vision, high blood sugar level and, in some cases, unintentional weight loss.

Often, people can ignore symptoms or attribute them to other causes, experts say.

"People have to understand that diabetes can be a devastating disease," says Larry Hausner, CEO of the American Diabetes Association."It requires changes in lifestyle to help control it."

Before people develop type 2 diabetes, they usually suffer from prediabetes, which means that blood glucose levels are higher than normal, but not high enough to be called diabetes.In 2012, 86 million Americans of 20 years or more, had prediabetes, an increase of 79 million in 2010.

The centers for disease control and prevention (CDC), report that without losing weight and moderate physical activity, 15 to 30 percent of people with prediabetes will develop type 2 diabetes in five years.

"I tell patients that there are two very effective medicines," says Dr. Michael Swartzon, medical medical doctor in Primary Care of Miami Orthopedics & AMP;Sports Medicine Institute, part of Baptist Health South Florida.“One is exercise and the other is the diet.It is difficult to make patients begin a diet and an exercise program, ”he says.“Everyone wants to have a long and healthier life.Diet and exercise are key, especially for diabetics. ”

The American College of Sports Medicine and the American Diabetes Association recommends that adults have at least 150 minutes of moderate-intense exercise a week.You can divide that in different ways.You can make 30 to 60 minutes of intense moderate exercises five days a week or 20 to 60 minutes of vigorous-intense year three days a week.It is even useful to exercise in shorter sessions.

"We are spending too much time in front of different types of screens, from our screens at work to our TV screens at home, video games," says Hausner, interim CEO of Society for Women’s Health Research."We are not moving."

Some people need to start exercising in stages."It is necessary for each person to begin according to their possibilities and health status," says Kimberlain.Make a fast walk for ten minutes three times a day (at breakfast, lunch and dinner), help."People can do the type of exercise they like, swim, ride a bicycle, dance."

Ideally, look for a combination of aerobic and resistance activities, says Swartzon."This does not mean that you have to go to the gym and lift weights."

Resistance exercises options include, in addition to lifting weights, flexions, central strengthening planks, squats, knee flexions, band exercises or physical conditioning stations in neighborhood parks.

A range of daily activities can put the muscles to work, according to Swartzon.“Wash the car, do work at home, clean the pool.Gardening can be a form of exercise. ”

It indicates studies that compare sedentary and active groups."Those who exercise have a significant reduction in the average blood sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure," says Swartzon."These are very important numbers for diabetics."

Studies show that “people at high risk of diabetes can prevent or delay the beginning of the disease, losing five to seven percent of their weight, if they are overweight, that is ten to 14 pounds for a 200 -pound person”, Reports the National Diabetes EducationProgram.

"The most important thing is the control of the portion," says Natalia Torres-Negron, Cleveland Clinic Florida nutritionist in Weston."And it is important to avoid some meals, including those that are high in sugar, high in fat and high sodium."

"There is nothing magical about it," says Vogel, who attributes to his family and the support of Angel the changes he has made.“If you are not motivated, you will not work.But if I can do this, anyone can. ”

How to live a healthier life

Sign up and receive Nutritional Tips and Information from Usda's My Plate in Chosemyplate.gov/ Recommendation: Fill half of your dish with fruits and vegetables (spinach, bécol, Berza, tomatoes are good to start).After that, a quarter of your dish must be proteins, and another fourth integral grains.

The control of the portion is key;Look for the American Diabetes Association for guides on size.

Eat more lean protein sources including turkey, chicken and fish as well as grains, peas, nuts and seeds.If you eat red meat, eat small portions and be lean.

Coma integral grains, which include quinoa, oatmeal, amaranth and barley.Replace integral rice with white rice.Replace sugary cereals with fiber high cereals such as oatmeal or whole grains.

Coma fiber foods to avoid pecking between meals.For snack, consider a boiled hard egg with a handful of almonds, carrots and celery with half a cup of humus or a tablespoon of peanut butter and an apple.

Coma high fruits in fibers, including berries, pears, apples (with the skin).The raspberries have eight grams of fibers per cup.

Avoid soft drinks, fruit juices, strikeouts and sugar cold tea.Check the tags for sugar in juices.Instead, eat the fruit.

Watch the sugar."Be careful with the syrups that are added to the coffee," says Torres-Negrón.Look at the seasoning ingredients.And know what is in your whipped."You can prepare a very healthy or a very unhealthy whipped," he says.Do not think of honey as the ideal sweetener."Honey will affect its blood sugar levels and affect calories."

Replace canned meats, "hot dogs" and other foods processed with chicken, turkey or roasted fish.

Avoid high fat foods in fat.Take skim milk or one percent, not complete milk.Simple Greek yogurt;Add its own fruit.

Avoid fried foods loaded with saturated fats and packed food such as chips, sweets, cookies and biscuits.

Develop a plan for the Christmas season."Some people will jump food during the day and then fill with food," says Torres-Negrón."Follow a normal food pattern."

Move.Exercise is a crucial part for a healthy lifestyle.If it seems very difficult, take small steps.You may not want to go to a gym, but you can dance in your room.

fer's profile photo
fer
11/29/2016 5:55 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I edit the nonsense he had put because it was not fair, some people are type 2 regardless of their previous lifestyle, although many people do not know.

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
11/29/2016 10:07 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@"ARTORIAS" I share a table that summarizes the types of diabetes and their main causes, I think I will use it a lot!;)

fer's profile photo
fer
11/29/2016 10:58 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

@"Fer" I would not use the table you have put ... have you read what it puts in type 1?Textual:

"People living with type 1 diabetes need measurements and injections of glucose for life."

Oh really?????Glucose?????Now I understand why it is so difficult to control it, I punish me insulin when I should prick glucose !!!!:)) :))

nachemi's profile photo
nachemi
11/30/2016 12:05 p.m.

Ooooops !!!!, what a failure! ... is obviously insulin !! ... l-)

I will have to look for a better !!Thanks for warning @"nachemi" !!

fer's profile photo
fer
11/30/2016 12:15 p.m.

There are other types of diabetes such as insipida, where you have a great need to urinate and excessive thirst more, however, your glucose levels are normal, it is generally given by a cranial trauma, there are others but I do not remember their names

Hilda's profile photo
Hilda
12/04/2016 7:43 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.